3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: VA Float-in Wilderness Hunt (Update with scouting report pg3)  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
It seems a couple of people are interested in doing a weekend float-in trip in a wilderness area.  So I'm posting this to see who'd like to sign up and to hash out details.  

Here are my proposals:
Date:  Oct 19-21

Here's a map of the proposed camp area. (Green Dot on shoreline, GPS coordinates are in header)

There is a boat launch/parking area at the confluence of the two rivers (James and Maury).  The road opposite the river is 130/501.  There is another boat takeout/parking area just downriver so we'd have vehicles at put in and takeout location.  This area is in Map 13. AT GWNF Pedlar District for those who have AT maps.  I haven't scouted that exact spot yet but from the opposite side of the river it is a nice area with several drainages that converge there.  This would allow each person to hunt their own drainage area or stay riverside.  An alternate camp area could be Matts Creek shelter, about 2.6 miles up the trail.  This has a picnic table, fire ring, and three sided shelter.  (Note: it is illegal to have loaded weapons with 125 yards of the AT trail so we couldn't target practice at the shelter)  If we have more hunters than boats, or someone doesn't like the idea of boating, there is a foot bridge across the river for hikers.  I may do a scout trip there in August.  I have hunted other parts of the wilderness area and it is moderately mature hardwoods with pines interspersed and lots of mountain laurel thickets, especially near the ridgetops.  I haven't seen a lot of deer but plenty of good sign and if you do see a buck it's a good chance it's a nice mature one.  There's also the potential for bear.

So who's interested?

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: VA Float-in Wilderness Hunt (Update with scouting report pg3)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
Here's a sat. photo of the area, you can see the drainages better.

I should also note I have yet to run into another hunter here, but I have seen some sign of them, mostly turkey or squirrel.  Also some of these creeks may have some native brook populations if that interests you.

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
Ive floated that stretch many times
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
sounds like a cool trip, we do that here in Ark as well, sounds like similar terrain and game as here.. should be a good hunt even if ya dont see a critter!
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
I may be up for it, I will have to check my schedule. I have a 16' Mad River that will hold plenty of gear.

Offline longbow357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
those kinda trips are always heaps of fun!!!

be carefull if you hear any dueling banjo's!   :biglaugh:

Online BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 02:19:00 AM »
I may be up for this one as well.  Sounds like a good trip!

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
ttt,  i might be able to talk my dad into it

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 12:40:00 PM »
Alright everybody, don't let this one fizzle out.  It looks like Talondale has a prime spot picked out for hunting and logistics.  I am already committed elsewhere for that weekend but I am looking forward to your stories and pics.  I hope you have some behind the scenes planning going, only a few months to go.  You may even need to get in an early September scouting trip with some fishing rods in the canoe......

TTT
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline dorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 03:59:00 AM »
sounds like a "deliverance" movie setting .   :scared:

:goldtooth:    :biglaugh:
" If I fail trying my hardest did I really fail ? "

Jeff Dorris
11/16/1970 ~ 3/30/2010
Rest In Peace

Offline always89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 07:36:00 AM »
Me and my son are in!

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
Cool, I was just going to bump this thread back up today.  I was thinking about a float/fish/scout trip next weekend.  Anyone interested?  Forester, what weekends work for you?  This date isn't set in stone but I'm planning it around a couple of other hunting trips so I have a little wiggle room.  No one has committed but always89.  I was thinking I wanted to do it before danger of hypothermia from falling in the river.    :biglaugh:  

Anyway, so far the only positive has been always89 and son, and me.

with some possibles:
UK Bowman
Blkdog
atlatlzoom
VA Bowbender

BigRon are you interested in this one?

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »
I am scheduled to work that weekend so I will pass on this one. Best of Luck to you guys.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
Ron,
  Keep an eye on this thread.  The date may change.

Always89, PM sent.

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »
I will keep an eye on it as well, but I don't want to influence the date choice.  I am pretty well booked up for fall weekends already, not all out of town but enough activity to keep me tied to the home place.  If I can make the float hunt it will be a last minute change that frees me up to crash your party.    :)    I will keep my fingers crossed but I can't make any promises.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
are the dates still set for 19-21?  i just might be able to swing this one. i have a canoe and all my camping gear.

come on Duane you know you want to join in on this one.  if not what does the next week look like for Rough Mountain?  we have that trip set for the 22 through 27th.  i would just tack on a few days at the beginning to do this float trip. man this sounds awesome.....

how many for sure do you have for this trip Chuck?
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
I might be interested in coming up from Alabama. I have a canoe, love to camp. What is the price of an out of state deer tag? You mentioned bear, will they be in season? how much is bear a taq?
John

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
I may have to go on this one. Its not that far from me and it sounds like alot of fun. The only thing is i don't have a canoe...
I can work with about any date you decide on if you decide to go.  :campfire:    :archer:    :coffee:
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »
Larry we have plenty of canoes.

SRTA if you will go to the VDGIF website you can find all the info you will need.
here is the link to the VDGIF:
   http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/regulations/licensefees.asp#nonresident

if i remember right the cost of a non-res license for the entire hunting season is about $183. this would include 6 deer tags, 1 black bear tag and 3 turkey tags. bear will be in season starting on the 13th of October. you can also get a 3 day license which would save you $40.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
Wow, this thread came back to life quickly.  As far as the date, we are still looking at the 19-21 which will fit in well with your hunt being the weekend before Rob.  Those who have definitly said they are going are: Always89 (Jerry) and his son and Bob Walker (don't know about Bobby yet).  Bob said he has a 17' boat we can load up as long as the water is navigateable.  I plan on doing a scouting/fishing trip in a couple of weeks to find a definite camp area and get an idea for stand locations.  I'd do it this weekend but we are scheduled for a new baby arrival in two days so I have to be helpful around the house for the next couple of weeks before running off to play.  I'm thinking about going the afternoon of the 16th, weather permitting, if anyone will be in the area and wants to tag along and do some smallmouth fishing and look around.  This is going to be primitive camping and we will need to bring bear bags, as it's a popular bear hunting area (dog running, though no dog running is allowed during this time) so I assume there's a few bears in there.  I haven't seen any sign of bear yet but it is ideal bear country.  Bear and turkey will be legal to take with archery tackle at that time.  Bear restrictions from VDGIF website.  
One per license year, at least 100 pounds live weight or 75 pounds dressed weight (all internal organs removed). Females with cubs may not be harvested.
As far as gear: as we get firmed up commitments we can probably divide up responsibility for gear so that we aren't carrying in a lot of redundant stuff.  If anyone has water filtering systems that would be really helpful as we will either have to pack in our own water or filter what is available, or both.  We seem to have plenty of boats available so don't let that hinder you from coming.  Hopefully the weather will be cool enough by then that we can just hang any game taken without worrying about icing down the meat.  I'm meeting with the local game biologist and I'll try to pump him for some info about the area as well.  I'll also clarify if a National Forest stamp will be required for there, I think it is so those from out of town or locals who don't have one that will be an additional $4.

Those who are definitely thinking about going please PM and let me know what camping gear, boat, you have and if you'll have free space to carry someone else.  Thanks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©