3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: VA Float-in Wilderness Hunt (Update with scouting report pg3)  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: VA Float-in Wilderness Hunt (Update with scouting report pg3)
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »
Love to go if it changed to the following weekend or if you go again!

Steve
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline jesse cales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
i might be able to make this one.sounds like a lot of fun.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
Maybe...  :pray:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Online BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
I will be a maybe as well.  To early to say right now but I would love to make one or both of these VA trips.  Hope new guys are okay...

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
Chuck i am 99.9% sure i will be there.  i just need to make some arrangements for my youngest son and i'm set.  

PM sent regarding the scouting trip.....
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
No promises but sounds interesting.  The brook trout are spawning that time of year and get thick in small areas and aggressive.  Dinner would not be a problem.  How much is a liscense and how far are you off of 77.  I'm always up for a little road trip.  I know how hunting can be in the mountains,  but there are more big ones than people think. Usually die of old age.  I'm keeping my eye on this thread.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
License costs are on the link Paleface posted up above.  For trout you would need just a freshwater license since any brook trout would be natural and not need a trout stamp.  I think we would be about an 1:45 from where 77 meets 81.  My buddy makes it to my house from Atlanta in about 7 hours (I won't say whether he follows all speed laws or not) and this place is about 20 minutes past me.  You'd take 81 to Natural Bridge (exit 178) and it's just a few miles to the boat ramp upstream.  For Mapquest use Glasgow, VA as your destination.

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
Talondale, how far up 42 is it from 460 near Blacksburg.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
Larry,

I'm guessing an hour and 30 minutes would get you from Blacksburg to the boat ramp.  It would be best to go 460/81.  If you head into the country up 42 from Newport you will be on backroads after New Castle and would be closer to two hours before you arrived.  And you would have to cross/get onto 81 near the end anyway.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
Duane are you going to make it for any of this trips in Virginia?  missed you at Dixie last weekend. man it was hot. Jeff Harper was there but the rest of the C'Ville gang didn't make it. Bo was away in the mountains doing some house cleaning at the Cabin.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
Larry,
   It's about 60 miles from where 460 hits 81 to the Natural Bridge exit.  You're near Pearsburg so I'd guess about 1:45 to 2:00.

Here's a live map link to the area:
 http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=37.599884~-79.433942&style=r&lvl=14&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&sp=Point.q84mdz8cc9c0_Glasgow%2C%20Rockbridge%2C%20Virginia%2C%20United%20Stat es___~Point.q807f08cddc7_Camp___&encType=1

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »
Hey, thats not to bad. I'm going, i'm goina get my license next week, so i should be ready to go. I'm goina pack light if were only goina be there 3-days. I've always wanted to do this, but i've dragged my feet about it for 19yrs. so this  will be my first float trip. I'm looking forward to it, and i hope JDC goes as well.  :campfire:    :archer:

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
Get some rest Talondale...T -9 and counting....
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
paleFace - I would really like to make this weekend float but I will be in NY with family obligations....I am looking at he calendar for the others but I am scheduled to work as of now.  Changing up will be tough as it gets into the fall season.

Sorry about Dixie too, I was booked every day with local activities.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
I'm from Winder, GA and if anyone is interested from this area let me know.  Thanks for the info, sounds like a trip of a lifetime to me!
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
Duane make sure you try and keep a few days open the week of the 21 through 28.  looks like several hunts are on the board for that week. i think i heard you mention something about not feeling well that week and that you needed to take a few days off to rest.   :jumper:
>~Rob~>

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
I got the new hunting regs today.

NON resident to hunt state wide is 86.00
NON          archery               31.00
National Forest Stamp               4.00
NON resident Bear, Deer, Turkey.   66.00

I think thats all you need, but you may want to check for yourself.               187.00

:thumbsup:    :campfire:

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
Larry you are correct.... that's it... not bad considering you can hunt from October 6 through January 5th. all but Sundays. you get i think 6 deer tags, 1 black bear and 3 turkey's plus all the small game you could want to shoot. i think the 3 day license will only save you $42..

sure wish i could hunt elk for that price.
>~Rob~>

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
I should have bought my life time license a few years ago! Then i'd be set. I live right on the WV-VA line now, and my farm property joins VA.

When i was a cop i lived over there for about 11yrs. Oh'well. If nothing changes i'm going on both the VA hunts. I'm geting my licence next week for VA and NC. Boy i may have bit of more than i can chew.LOL. My wife hasn't said anything negative yet, and i don't think she will, she's a good one. Anyway i do hope to meet a few good people who hunt with a real bow and tell lies around the camp fire.LOL. I think my back will hold out! If it don't, i'll improvise-adapt-and overcome!   :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :archer:    :coffee:

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
Talked to the Game Biologists yesterday and he said mast surveys show a low acorn production this year, especially white oaks, with better yields at higher elevations.  He suggested finding a good white oak and sit over it.  He said we shouldn't have too much problem with bears but hanging our food should be a good idea.  We should set up our "kitchen" area seperate from our "sleeping" area and no snacks or trash in the tents.  They've had a couple of cases this year of bear going in tents but food or trash was involved.  Pretty obvious precautions.  They seemed a little non-plussed about info for that area.  I guess they don't get many people hunting that area.  That's the impression I got from the game warden too.  They said numbers should be low but a good chance at seeing bucks with some age on them.

HATCHCHASER, the one fish biologist I talked to said the original survey he did of the area didn't have any natural brook trout but the conditions were favorable for brookies.  He gave me the name and number of another biologist who had done a more recent survey and he thought he had found some brooks.  I'm waiting for a call back from him.

Just a FYI my local SAMs club and another I've been in had dry bags for sale for $20 bucks (two bags, one backpack size one smaller size) if you are looking for something to store stuff in for the boat ride.  I'm thinking about just using a cooler taped shut.  

This is getting close now.  Post if you are definitely coming and if you have a boat and what gear you have or need.  Anyone have a water filter system?  Tents? etc.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©