3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Natural Ground Blind vs Commercial Blinds  (Read 413 times)

Offline Scoobiedooo

• Trad Bowhunter
Natural Ground Blind vs Commercial Blinds
« on: January 01, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
I am seeking to do much more hunting in 2012-13 from ground blinds and wonder what TG's suggestions and opinions are concerning hunting from a man-made ground blind using natural foliage, etc vs. and commercially purchased camo ground blind.

Is there really enuff reason / advantage to warrant purchasing a commercial blind?
Be nice to a nurse - you never know if or when your life or those you love life/lives may depend on us!

"Bless are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy." (5:7)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Natural Ground Blind vs Commercial Blinds
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
The more natural you go the better. This year I didn't use and commercial camo at all and I didn't have any difficulty getting within twenty yards of whitetails. I think the commercial blinds stand out, you'd be better off in a ghillie suit which blends in much better.
I have a friend that pushes deer in his area by setting up ground blinds in areas where deer travel, pushing them to where he wants and hopes they will go. You could see how tense the deer are when they spot the blind and move away from it.
Now if we are talking turkey hunting, that is a different story.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
I like to look at it this way.  If I walk into my house and a piece of furniture has moved, I know it or if something has been added that was not there before.  Deer do too.  Taking an making natural blinds are more natural than any commercial blind you can set up.  They see trees fallen all the time, but rare do they see a big mound that just pops up.  Just my way of thinking.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
Pretty much depends on what you are hunting for. For deer you'll need to set it up and brush it in, leave it in the woods for a while so that the deer get accustomed to the blind being there. Turkey don't seem to mind if you just put it up.

Another thing to consider is if you are hunting a place where it could get stolen. I've had one stolen and it stinks.

I now hunt natural blinds 100% of the time. I bring along a folding pruning saw and ratchet pruners in my CatII quiver. It allows me to move around and set up depending on deer movement and wind direction.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
I haven't tried my Hidden Hunter blind for deer hunting, mostly because of all the claims that it would have to be brushed in completely, which makes using it kind of pointless.

I do use it for turkey hunting though, and now I'm not so sure about how observant deer really are. I often set my HH right out in the open corn or soybean field with my decoy about 10 yards away, but closer to the timber. On too many occasions for it to have been coincidence, I've had deer come in and sniff my decoys. I don't mean some dopey fawns either, but mature does. I've had bucks come and chase turkeys away before they could get to me. Apparently deer don't care all that much for turkeys.

Last spring I was dozing a bit in the blind (one of the problems with blinds). Suddenly I heard a deer snort and stomp. I looked out toward my decoy and three does were snorting and stomping at my tom decoy. They kept at it for several minutes. Since they couldn't get the tom to run away, they finally got tired of that game and wandered off into the woods. All three were inside 15 yards of my blind, which was sitting in an unworked soybean field.

I keep thinking I need to take a turkey decoy deer hunting with me, but I never seem to remember it. I may give it a try when I go out this week. At least it would give them something to look at other than me.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
Go natural......makes you much more mobile and it's sure a lot cheaper.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
Do a search on this subject and a few threads would have come up. pop-ups are good for some spots and natural are great in others. I think it comes down to the area Your hunting.

Pop-ups for deer You have to cover them up with brush, So Your making a Natural blind for your pop-up.. That's My .02$

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
Why hall a blind in when they are all around you?  Seems an easy choice.

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
Natural blinds for me......
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
Looks like most guys are saying natural but I had a great time hunting from my Primos blind this year - I had my spots picked out before hand and some brush cut and ready to use as cover for the blind when I got there to hunt - didn't have any issues getting close to deer in it and the freedom is amazing.  Natural blinds have their place too but there is nothing like being able to stretch out and move around a little without being caught, which may happen in a natural blind.  Just make sure the commercial blind is brushed in and you're good.  Both methods have their place though.  Like most hunting scenarios it pays to be versatile.  Don't corner yourself to only one or the other.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
God has all a guy ever needs to build some awesome ground blinds. Also I haven't seen to many people the would want to steal a stick. :0) All it takes is a little love and labor.

JMHO, Jason

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
I like my Double Bull out back on private property where I can leave it up.  Deer eventually ignore it and it's dry, out of the wind and ready to go whenever I can get an hour or two to hunt.  On public property it's easier for me to build a natural blind than to lug the Double Bull in, set it up, then take it down and carry it back out again.  Around here, leaving anything on public property is to never see it again.  Sad, but a fact of life in rogues island.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
I like natural blind as well. in the Dec/Jan issue of TBM they have a great article on natural blinds. I set a few up each spring and go out during the summer and freshen them up so when the season starts they are ready to go.And as soggested do a search on natural linds there are a few good threads on the subject.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
To me commercial blinds are for filming, and act as a little house which most hunters try and supply like a home.
Have no use for them, natural blinds are cheaper less noticeable, and a whole lot lighter walking to and from the truck.
The only type blind I use now is a "Bush in a Bag".
works great with or without a natural blind and doesn't weigh much more than my quiver and arrows.

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
Natural blinds work well but they tend to leak a little more.  ;O)

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
I use natural by myself.My 12 year old is with me most of the time so we use commercial.HIdes his movement and helps with scent.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline Red4arm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
Natural seems more traditional, but I killed my first "blind" deer this year out of a bought blind. I didn't brush it in much at all. I felt like it stuck out, but the deer didn't. I had deer close, real close and they acted like it wasn't there, almost seemed unfair it worked so well. I think it helped keep sent in too.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
Natural if possible.  If not, make sure you're in an area that it's unlikely to be stolen.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
I think natural blinds are less noticable by the game, but a commercial blind can do well against deer if you brush them in well.

Also, I've found that turkeys don't mind the blinds at all, even in a wide open field they don't seem to mind.  So, for turkeys, a commercial blind is the way to go so you can move as needed throughout the day.
>>>--------->

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
I like to always carry a set of pruning shears and folding saw then ever I am in the woods all year round.  When I see an area that looks good I set up a natural blind.  I have many set up that I can just slip to when I have a "feeling" or scrapes have opened up or food sources shift.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©