3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: worst deer season ever!  (Read 744 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
worst deer season ever!
« on: January 01, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
Don't know the reasons for sure, but this is the first season that I can remember that I have not had a shot! Now I'm not saying that I've not had other seasons that I haven't killed a deer, but I have not even had a deer in range/position to even draw the string. I figured to hit it hard this weekend as the season ends today, but I've been down with the flu or some kind bug since Friday evening.

Last winter was a tough one with lots of ice covered with snow late, so the winterkill could be a factor. Lots of trees and limbs down may have altered the travel patterns on neighboring properties. Could be some standing crops still available. The neighboring/adjacent properties are off limits for me to hunt (leased), but I do have permission to walk them after season, so I may be able to figure it out in the next few weeks.

My usual sightings amount to 6-20 deer per day, total for morning and evening during October.  In November I have seen as many as 13 bucks (I keep a journal) on a morning set. I have seen a total of 2 bucks this entire season and a total of 21 deer from the stand! Neighbors say they have not seen the numbers of deer this year that they are accustomed to seeing and on one of the Indiana forums the majority of hunters say the deer sightings are down as well. Could be the herd is just on a down-turn.

Either way, I am feeling a bit better and am off work tomorrow, so I will go out and try to fill my fall turkey tag. Not whining,  just baffled to what the heck is going on. Congrats to all of those who were successful this year and remember, spring turkey is just around the corner!
Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: worst deer season ever!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
I can relate brother.  I once laid in the hosiptal fighting cancer, taking chemo, and trying to survive the effects of it before, durning, and after all of hunting season. So now I just Praise the Lord everyday I get up, much less getting to go hunting.

Good luck and I would quess their was some food source the deer were keying on all season long that kept them from their normal haunts.  God Bless and kick that bug.
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
Mike,

I can feel your pain. We had our worst season ever this year as well. I only saw four deer in bow season however I did manage to get a nice buck. I thought it may have been a local thing. So far this winter has been mild so that should help.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
Our deer sightings were down this year also. Too many tags available as far as I'm concerned. Would like to see a 1 buck 1 doe limit with mandatory check in to see if it would help/make a difference.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline WoodsyDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about the lack of deer sightings. I know that not even seeing deer from the stand over repeated trips can be real discouraging. But, that's what makes it so rewarding when your plans seem to come together.

I think we all have those feast or famine times.  If not, and you always see lots of deer, or you always shoot your deer, it can loose it's luster and the real reward is gone.

If you hang in there, they will come..... and it will be worth it all over again! Next year, deer will probably over-run your stand.

Good luck with the turkeys

WoodsyDave

Offline AB3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Here in North Texas the record heat and drought this year hurt our place.I didnt see alot of our older deer this season on stand or on trail pictures.I dont think they made it though the summer.
62" Horne TD Longbow 50#

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
I know it's just deer hunting....not life or death. I am a happy person and I thank God for every day! I figure if I wake up, it's a good day!

This has just been a really weird/slow season and there has to be a reason behind it. Sound like I'm not the only one with this problem though!
Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
Mike-as you know there are many ways to measure success and you seem positive enough to realize that because I bet you had some successes! I've didn't score yet this year with my bow here in Michigan but I do have one more hunt tonight!
Good luck with the turkeys!

Kenny    :bigsmyl:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
I average seeing 3 deer per year,total. Last shot I had was in the early 70's, 71' I think. Your plight is actually better than my average season......I guess I don't know what to say!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
Mike, you're not the only one.  I only managed to get out 5 times this year, but a couple of my buddies went out quite a bit and they didn't see even close to the amount of deer that we all saw years prior.  It was a tough winter no doubt, but I think the DNR is getting their wish and the doe population has had a large dent put in it.  

In my 5 sits I saw 11 deer total 2 of which were spikes and 3 were racked bucks.  I'm not complaining as I was lucky to get a nice doe the 2nd day and nearly a nice 8 if he'd taken 2 more steps!

I also believe the weather this fall has been the worst I can remember having with high temps, wind, and rain prevalent from the end of October until today!  I believe that also has a lot to do with it.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
The same thing is happening here in IA.  The larger doe harvest pushed by the DNR is resulting in a smaller herd.  I had a very bad year last year on deer sightings.  I have to work a lot harder to see the deer now than I did 5 years ago.
>>>--------->

Offline mt-dew10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
Same thing happened here in Northcentral Montana.  Seriously.  Blue Tongue went through the region and wiped out a sizeable chunk of the local white tail population.  

Throw in two of the worst winters in a row in last 20 years, unmanageable numbers of coyotes(I say this because there were a few days I seen more coyotes than deer) and other factors(I assume) and our region had the lowest white tail numbers ever.  Although, the muleys seem to be doing well.  

The coyote situation is the most depressing factor.  We had our family dog killed by three of them the third week in November.  No one traps them, nor does anyone really shoot them.  I have been doing a litte reading on the subject of trapping, only to surprisingly find that "In order to reduce the coyotes in number, 70% of the population must be reduced for five years in a row".  With that being said and done, things look a tad depressing.  

Overall, I do hope that our white tail numbers go up in the next few years.
I enjoy being a traditional archer!!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
EHD gets most of the blame for Whitetail population demise. EHD rarely hits Muleys.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
Mike, my worst too.  When I could hunt I saw next to nothing--fewest deer sightings in years, but I tore a cartilage in my knee and just couldn't get out there and walk and get in the woods since--hurts too bad.  I couldn't even get an appointment with an orthopedist until Jan. 13!  Hope next year is better for both of us.  The fire just died down when the knee went south.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
I sat over 80 hours in 2 stands early season and didn't see a deer. These spots were usual good for 10 deer a day last year. After that I put my climber on my back and decided to find some. I went to ridge tops with nuts dropping and was back in the deer right away. I ended up with 3 and one was a nice buck.

Between killing those deer in the same area I went back to my usual go-to spots and saw a total of 5. Where I hunt is 95% big woods and public. Food and pressure change things every year. The deer are there but 200 yards can make the difference in a great season or crap.

Get out in the snow and atleast see how many you have in the area. Good luck next year!

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
If it could go wrong for me this year it has.Been working a lot lately and have not been able to get to the woods.Get 3 days off for New Years and have the creeping crud and cant quit coughing and sneezing so just staying in the recliner
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
Coyotes are a major factor in some of the areas I hunt.  I didn't see a single deer in the woods this year, although I only went 3 times all season.  I did see one Coyote and would have taken a shot at it had it not been walking through a thicket.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
My son, who is also my hunting partner, left to Wyoming for a job before season and so we both turned our tags in for a refund.  Didn't get out once this year.  Those who hunted had a better time than I did.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
I got skunked this year also, I didn't see a single deer. I did see a moose go figure. The deer population in western MA is way down as far as I can tell. This is also my second year in a row that I didn't draw a doe tag.

It's very discouraging deer hunting in mass, shot opportunities are few and far between. You really have to just love being outdoors enjoying the fresh air.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
It was tough in our area this year wasn't it? Warmest and windiest season I can remember. It seemed every time I was out the wind was whipping like crazy. I got lucky and put a few in the freezer but my sightings were way down as well, but I wasn't near as picky as what I usually am
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©