3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lighter poundage fro every day  (Read 515 times)

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lighter poundage fro every day
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »
I have arthritis in my right hand too..  

Lighter bows are definitely more comfortable to shoot for me.

Offline wc kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »
I dont shoot heavy weight at all. The last 3yrs ive been shooting a 47lb longbow. I've killed 11 deer in that time in two states. Two of those deer dressed out at over 200 pounds. 44 pounds is plenty. I would say that if you can shoot the 44lbs for all of you shooting. If it is not fun shooting that weight all day then by all means go down rather than hurt yourself. It is more fun when your not hurting.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 01:01:00 AM »
As long as you can get the same GPP on arrows and the same trajectory it won't throw you off at all.

i jump back and forth from 45# to 57#'s with no issues at all.

Offline Trad 4 life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 01:02:00 AM »
going down in draw weight for 3-D in the off season i think is good atleast for me, it straightens out my form,slows me down,helps me focus on my target,anchor,pull through,and release you know all the good stuff..

i'll be going down in draw weight this season for 3-D just 11lbs i want to get into target shooting so i picked up a 41# @ 28 66" bob lee target recurve,my hunting setup is a 53# bob lee bicentennial recurve 62"

Offline Trad 4 life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 01:11:00 AM »
hey "DAD" what lenght bow is your widow?
if you were to go down in weight and shoot a longer bow say 64"or 66" something with no finger pinch at all that may help with the arthritis.
i was talking with a guy at denton last summer who had went down in weight and started shooting a longer bow cause of his arthritis

Offline Mike Tomano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 03:42:00 AM »
I shoot 30, 40, 44, 45 and 55 lb. bows. Like them all for different things. I've used the 40# 1954 Bear Grizzly for pheasants and rabbits and the 45 lb. Griz for rabbits to deer. All are fun to shoot. Every piece of equipment is different. Enjoy!
"If you're not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." - Fred Bear

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 07:16:00 AM »
I shoot 4 to 5 days a week all year round. 40 to 44 lbs on my "pleasure" bows. 53 for hunting. I am 62 and have been doing this for years. Shoulders still in good shape.

Offline Downtime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
My bows are mainly in the 45 lb class, giving me a draw weight around 48 lbs.  My biggest game is whitetail deer.  I use the same bow just about every day in spring, summer and fall at my outside range and at least once or twice a week in the winter.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
I shoot 50# bows for hunting and 45# bows for 3-D. I use different weight arrows so they fly exactly the same. I find I will fatique if I shoot an all day thing with 2 or 3 rounds and the 45# bow keeps me in the game longer.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
I shoot around 45 pounds for everything!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
My PCH is 60" in length and 44#@28 and my draw is 28.

Offline WDELongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
54 lbs for both.  Wouldn't it be best to practice with same weight you intend to hunt with?  That is, if you are practicing for hunting.  Just my thoughts, but it seems that many, myself included, go into "target practice mode", when we should be practicing for hunting.  In target practice mode, we tend to shoot multiple arrows at the same target, same distance, etc. with little rest between shots. Then retrieve arrows and do it again.  Downside is fatigue, as well as loss of concentration.  Practice for hunting would be to have at least 2-5 min between shots, so your muscles can recover. Also, maybe don't shoot a bunch of arrows.  Seems to me that 15-20 arrows with a high level of concentration, ample variety in shots (distance, target itself, stance, etc.), and ample rest between shots (2-5 min minimum) is a better practice/simulation for hunting.  I try to force myself to "slow down" by shooting one arrow, and retrieving it before shooting again.  Seems to me that with practice designed for hunting, the need for a different bow weight for each pursuit should be unnecessary.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
I really enjoy shooting lighter weight bows (40# ish) in the off season; more fun, less stress; what's not to like?  Around the end of August I'll get back to shooting a heavier setup; 45#-50# for hunting.  Guess I'm lucky in it only takes me a few days to adjust from one bow to another.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
I think you should shoot one that is best for you, I'm one of those who started shooting 58#.  And like others have said " shoulder injury " now I'm at the lower poundage for good, does it matter no, it just comes out to what's best for you, proficiency and accurate shooting equals confidence.  And besides you can't tell the poundage of a bow by looking at it !  Just make sure it looks pretty and they won't ask any questions !

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
I've never had a minute's  trouble switching from a lighter bow to my hunting weight bows in the fall. I enjoy shooting lots of arrows and the lighter weights allow me to do that.

To me 3-D is good hunting practice. Shoot one arrow, walk to retrieve it, walk to next target. Our group tends to shoot two arrow at each target and then shoot the course a second time to I tend to fatique doing this routine with a hunting weight bow (just did it a few weeks ago). 5# less helps a lot.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
Do it Dad,
Dont let others influence what you feel is right for you.They aint doin the shootin for ya.I think you will be happy you did,based on the criteria you posted.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
Those stumps don't know what weight your shooting!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
Heck, I just killed about 8 dead stumps yesterday with mu 43# long bow LOL!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
I had a "fro" in the seventies and it would definetely be lighter everyday today! Like Kirk, I bounce between bows and try to keep the GPP similar so I don't have to re-track my shooting eye. I shoot a LOT more too, and it seems to make my shooting on the heavier bows easier and more enjoyable.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
I will probably have to after this league season. I shot about 50 arrows today and they are stiff. Kazoo is coming up and I will see what the Black Widows have. I called Rodger and he said their will be 35# ish bows their for me to try. I just love shooting Traditional so much.Did any of you gain any draw length?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©