3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Life just got a whole lot sweeter for the Motor City...  (Read 370 times)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Life just got a whole lot sweeter for the Motor City...
« on: January 01, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
...Motor City Machete shop that is.

Well, Steve O. started a thread the other day about different crown stains that people like.  That thread morphed into alot of other things to include membrain splices on feathers by Chad Graham (thanks for the instruction Chad).

I told myself I'm going to learn to do that for my New Year's resolution, and give something else The Motor City Machete shop can do.

Well, I couldn't wait till today, so I started the process last night, and then I got ahold of Steve this morning, and he dropped off a feather chopper for me to play around with, along with a couple other things as well.

Following is the pictures of my progress.  Not bad for my first time, and I made enough for 6 arrows in 1 1/2 hrs.  I'm sure time will get quicker in the future, but arrow building isn't about speed.

Here is my supplies:

Membrain stripped from the orange and white feathers (I used the cutoffs of some white feathers I made not to long ago), and the white is duco glued on to where the orange was peeled from.

Here is the feather chopped:

Here is enough for 1/2 dozen of my Motor City Macheties:

Originally posted by Dirtybird:
Okay, lets hear the step by step on that splicing technique Mike.  I love the spliced look.
Once you do, it, you honestly won't believe how simple it is.

First thing I do is gather my supplies.  1 full length feather of your choosing (this will be the front part of the splice.  Hopefully you have saved your cut offs from other fletching jobs you've done, because a small (2"-4") tail section of feather is needed.  Duco cement, I'm sure others will work, but I KNOW duco works.  A sharp thin bladed knife (think exacto) either a chopper or burner if you choose.

Start by having an idea of what you want the feather to look like when done (like the length of splice and also lenth of feather).

I will instruct as if I'm teaching a right handed person, I'm assuming that left handed people will do the opposite.  Use what works for you.

Holding the full length feather in your left hand with the quill pointing down.  make a small score line across the membrain of the quill where you want the feather to start pulling, and then do the same where you want to stop at.  Be patient, you will get the hang of it after cutting thru a few feathers and thus making them to small to use, atleast I did.  practice on some scrap pieces first (wish I would have thought of that first).  now here is the tricky part.  

When pulling the feather and membrain off, DO NOT pull on a 90* angle, you will ruin your project.  Pinch the feather at the base (with your right hand) right at the first cut you made at the top and pull straight down (as close as you can get to 180* from starting point).  Be careful when you get to where you made your last incision.  If you get there and you didn't cut all the way thru the membrain, cut just a little deeper this time.  You will get the hang of it after a couple.

Now take the cut off piece you had earlier, and do the ecact same.  You now have a full length feather missing it's tail section, and a cutoff piece ready to fill the void.

Now for glue up.  Hold your tail (short piece) upside down, and run a small (a little goes along way) bead of duco along the bottom of the membrain.  Now take your full length feather and position the tail section in place.  Get the front of the tail section lined up, then press the rest of the membrain of the tail section down to the full length feather quill.  Once you are satisfied with the results, marry the front feather splice together, hold a few seconds to make sure duco has set the way you want, then set aside on a piece of newspaper on the dining room table so as not to upset your wife (something else I should of thought of first).

That's it guys.  the only thing easier than this is dipping the shaft in your clear finish.

Now for the chopping.  To make sure everthing is exactly the same, make a small pencil mark on the chopper where you want the splice to be located, and line up the pencil mark with the splice then WHAMO with the mallet, and out pops a functional piece of art.

Here is a link Steve sent me to help with getting everything perfect when using the chopper.  I'm sure you will find it as interesting as I did.       http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=090620    

Have fun with it guys, and be sure to post pics of your finished product.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Life just got a whole lot sweeter for the Motor City...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
I've always admired these splices as well. Never tried it though. Your's look good.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
You're going to have some very cool arrows with those feathers!  It's always fun to learn a new skill.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
Very cool. Nice work!

Offline rimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
Those look real nice

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bernie B.:
You're going to have some very cool arrows with those feathers!  It's always fun to learn a new skill.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin
Stayed tuned, the shafts these are going on are going to blow your mind, but that is a ways out for a different reason.

Offline Trad 4 life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
looks good,

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
Mike your talent is killing me! excellent job. How long did it take you to splice them up?
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
Cremesicle arrows!
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline don_h

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
Wow those look great.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
Well done Mike! Look forward to finished arrows.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I have answered all the PM's.  I do appreciate the nice comments.

Just for the record, I make arrows for myself, close friends and bowhunting organizations to auction/raffle off ONLY.  I don't want anybody thinking I'm trying to circumvent the sponsor forum.  I do not get paid to make any arrows.  I just love making them.  Besides if I made money doing it, that would mean it's a job, and I hate working.

I just started calling my shop downstairs The Motor City Machete shop.   It's a man's place, so it needed a manly name, so why not?

Hopefully that answers a few of the questions that were asked of me.  I just wanted to make sure nobody thinks I'm taking business away from them.

If anybody has any more questions, please feel free to ask. I have finally found something I'm kind of good at, and can more than likely talk some of you thru it.  In all, arrow building is pretty simple.  Don't be intimidated, give it a try.  It's a lot of fun, and it gives you something to do besides watch TV and eat.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
Well Done Mike!  I also promised myself I'll learn splicing this winter, then make up some Bamboo and Surewood arrows before Spring.

I hope mine come out as nice as yours.   :thumbsup:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
Sweet, need to givew that a try.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline mwirwicki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
Nice feathers, Mike!  Those look really cool.  Noticed you like to use Duco.  Do you have good luck with it on finished wood?  How about dry time?

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by mwirwicki:
Nice feathers, Mike!  Those look really cool.  Noticed you like to use Duco.  Do you have good luck with it on finished wood?  How about dry time?
Thank you Matt.

I use Parks waterbased wood floor finish on my arrows, and there is no problem with using duco on it.  It looks to me as if it just melts right in.  As for dry time with duco, it isn't long.  I just glued one feather on the shaft, and glued a dozen nocks on a different set for a friend, and when done, I removed the clamp and glued up another one.

When using duco on the splice, after spreading the glue, I get the feathers lined up where I want them, hold (with your fingers) the feather with membrain to the quill (it will take a couple tries, but it's pretty simple). Make sure everything is lined up where you want it. Marry the feathers together, and set off to the side to dry.

Really the only thing easier than doing this is dipping the shaft in your sealer.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
Great work Mike!

Lookin' forward to seein' the completed arras.

Happy New Year!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Okay, lets hear the step by step on that splicing technique Mike.  I love the spliced look.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
Updated with instructions in first post.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
Those are gonna be some sweet arrows! Nice job!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©