3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: weighting shafts with bailing wire inside  (Read 238 times)

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
weighting shafts with bailing wire inside
« on: January 01, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
Hey gang
Ive been shooting carbon and aluminum arrows for a while now but am really disappointed with their weight. I know I could just get heavier heads and stiffer shafts to maintain correct spine but Im already shooting 2419s and 340s so I dont have much to play with in the way of stiffer shafts. Ive got some heavy bows and if i put anything more than a 140 grain head I get terrible flight. So in an attempt to up the grainage in my arrows I inserted a couple strands of bailing wire taped up with electrical tape to hold them together and dampen vibration. I dont have a scale but by my estimations I uped the weight by about 100 grains. Flight seems good, maybe a little bit stiffer then before but not much. Was wondering if anyone else had done anything similar and how it worked out?

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: weighting shafts with bailing wire inside
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
I do it all the time.  I use weedeater line and electrical tape to get the weight I want for my carbons.    :thumbsup:
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Coffee in carbons add around 100grs.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 12:12:00 AM »
Powdered plastic (shot buffer for shotgun shells) Use a powder funnel. Make sure you seal the insert end with string wax.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 06:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by wapiti:
Powdered plastic (shot buffer for shotgun shells) Use a powder funnel. Make sure you seal the insert end with string wax.
That's a great idea and not ony doe's it leave a blood trail but could leave a powder trail locating your animal!   :thumbsup:

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Im digging the coffee idea hahahaha!!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
Back when carbons first hit trad, I read guys using salt, pepper, oregano...etc.

You can just imagine the jokes from how they were hoping for a broken shaft to pre-season for the grill.

2 strands of .095 weedeater too GT's right up to 600 gr. Cut tiny bit long and inserted into the push in nock and they didn't rattle for me.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
"a couple strands of bailing wire"

Where in the world can you find baling wire these days? I haven't seen a wire-tie baler in 40 years. Wouldn't mind having a dozen yards or so of the stuff just so I could "haywire" things together!

Jim
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
It is referred to as "tie wire" at the hardware store.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
OK. The tie wire I have seen is a much smaller gauge than real baling wire...
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »
I used to weight my carbons with screen dor splning. It's the rubber cordage used to hold the mesh to the frame. Splining and alittle elec. tape and that -400gr shaft can be doubled in weight. You can get it in different diameters to make different weights.

Troy

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
I recently took some GT 5575's and loaded them with the heaviest weedeater line I could find at the store, big thick heavy red stuff...then wrapped it full length with gray duct tape to prevent rattling inside the shaft....with a 125 tip the arrow weighs 750 grains, and I think it'll go through a hog shield with no issues.....

REAL quiet too.........

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©