3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly broadhead shooters I need your help  (Read 2921 times)

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly broadhead shooters I need your help
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
* I will have to get permission from Dr. Ashby but a link to his work would be great!
* Grizzly history (great idea)

Offline emac396

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
-I would offer them KME sharp, I noticed Braveheart sells Tuskers KME sharp. I finally can sharpen my heads scary sharp but a year ago I would of gladly paid to have them delivered hunt ready.
-The newer Grizzlys I bought have a better grind than the older ones that is real nice.
- You could offer screw in version.

and I would use Chad's pics as my advertisement WOW that's a hole!

Good luck I will order as soon as available
       ED

Online twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
I agree with Balding Eagle...  history would be cool... as I'm a bit prejudiced with Harry being from my hometown...

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline Turkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
Screw in versions most definatly. Pre sharpend hunt ready a good idea also.
J.K. Traditions Kanati 56" 52#@27"

Offline michigan bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
I like to use Zwickey glue-on heads for the wood arrows I use with my longbow.  For my recurve I like to use Zwickey screw-in heads.  It is just convenient to be able to buy the "same head" in both glue-on and screw-in.
I have thought for a long time that Grizzly was making a mistake by not offering a screw-in head.
IMHO.
Bill
I'm just happy to be here!

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
I would consider selling KME broadhead sharpeners on the site.   I would also consider having various weights of brass and steel inserts for sale in the site as well.  I find it annoying to buy broadheads on one site, inserts on another, and a sharpener on another.  You have pay shipping three times when one site could sell me all of the items you need for your heads with with one shipping fee.

I would do some destruction testing - shooting into concrete blocks, dense wood, rocks - and show pictures of the heads with before and after shots.  Some shots of Dr. Ashby's testing with bones that were split or shots of deer scapula, hog scapula, or elk scapula shot the same way would be good.  

I am looking forward to buying some of the new heads to try out this coming season.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by michigan bill:
I like to use Zwickey glue-on heads for the wood arrows I use with my longbow.  For my recurve I like to use Zwickey screw-in heads.  It is just convenient to be able to buy the "same head" in both glue-on and screw-in.
I have thought for a long time that Grizzly was making a mistake by not offering a screw-in head.
IMHO.
Bill
No offense intended, but it's not that hard to glue in and adapter. I too use the same heads with wood and aluminum or carbon. I usually need to add some weight with aluminum or carbon anyway, so the additional weight of the adapter is no big deal. You can get adapters all the way from 32 grain aluminum to 125 grain steel with a multitude of weights in between so tuning is less of an issue than if you have to just buy a screw in broadhead that is going to be whatever weight it is. I also like being able to orient my broadheads to suit me. Turning the insert in a carbon is not always so easy.

A screw-in Grizzly is just going to be a Grizzly that had the adapter glued in at the factory. To get a 150 grain screw in to match a 150 glue on, the size of the broadhead has to be reduced to make up for the adapter weight, so you won't be shooting identical heads anyway.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
What is the widest cutting Grizzly that will be offered? I'm getting use to shooting wide broadheads (1 3/4" or so). Thanks!

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 12:16:00 AM »
Allready modifed el grande would be great.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 12:34:00 AM »
How about a grizzly with a grizzly?  Got one of those with a one yard recovery so a blood trail didn't mean much!  

Wish I would have spent a bit more time looking at the holes to verify (or not) any "S" cuts.

CG's deer sure doesn't have a slit!

I've killed my coastal brown ("griz"), a muskox, and one Kauai goat with 160's.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »
I think a screw in version is a mistake.One of the big advantages to a glue on broadhead is the versatility of combining the glue on head with various weight adapters and you can even add lead in the ferrule ahead of the adapter when needed.

Another advantage of the glue on head is,if you already have arrows with inserts epoxied in,you can still orient your broadhead vertical,horizontal or any way you like,at the time you glue them on the adapter-of your choice.

The ferrules on the newer Grizzlys are accurate and true,making mounting so much easier than the former model.

Some want a 25 gr adapter.Some want 42,others 75,100 or 125 grs.That's a lot of combinations for a broadhead maker to stock.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
* Custom options  
   1) adapters installed
   2) presharpened heads
* Accessories
   1) sharpeners
   2) weighted inserts
   3) steel adapters
   4) Maybe some snazzy t-shirts

Steve could you send me some pictures for the website?

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
I'm on board with a KME sharpened broadhead as well. The deer in my avatar was shot with s 190 El Grande.  Looking foward to the new site.      :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Huntswithbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Was needing some new 160's this year.  Where would I find the newer Grizzlys.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
I know this won't happen with the Grizzly line but I'd like to see the ferrule made in a larger diameter to utilize most or all of an adapter's length.  Just a nit picky thing I guess..

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pat B.:
I know this won't happen with the Grizzly line but I'd like to see the ferrule made in a larger diameter to utilize most or all of an adapter's length.  Just a nit picky thing I guess..
I obviously haven't tried the Thunder Valley version yet, but my 160 grain, left bevel El Grandes just have that bottom 1/16" or so sticking out, which is pretty much the same diameter as my inserts. They fit the same as my Zwickeys, Woodsman, and Snuffers. I guess I never tried the regular Grizzlies. Are they different, Pat? If so, just give the El Grandes a try.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
JimB has some interesting points (no pun intended) but there is a bit of "talent" in not only sharpening heads, but mounting screw in inserts!

Not everyone does it so they spin well. If the mfg provided screw in were spin balanced, that would aid more folks having better flying heads.

Having different weight heads with inserts, would provide some variance as to total weight desired in a screw in.  

As for other comments about orienting by gluing onto a screw in insert: Help! When I orient and mount... spin balance, etc... then later take off that head to spiff up the edge and re-screw on, it NEVER seems to orient the way it came off!

How DO you do that?  :)  Thanks!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Doc,I dry fit my parts,get my broadhead oriented as I like(horizontal)and mark the shaft at the back of the blade.In my case I have an aluminum footing so I make a small"witness mark"on the footing,behind the back edge of the blade

When I mount the broadhead on the adapter,get it seated and spinning true,I double check against the mark to make sure the blade's orientation hasn't changed.

It is also important that the adapter stays tightly screwed in or the witness mark means nothing.For this reason,anytime I turn the broadhead past the mark,I have to go round again,clockwise,till I get on the mark.This assures not backing out the adapter.

I then set them aside while the epoxy finishes curing,making sure nothing can bump the head.After,I engrave a small number on the broadhead and footing with a cheap engraver.This may sound like too much but it takes seconds.If I want to remove several broadheads and use field points or blunts or to refletch,I can get the broadhead back on the arrow that it was spin tested and oriented for.

Without a reference mark,it is too easy for something to get moved before you set the arrow down.If you look closely,there is a small,silver,hash mark in the aluminum footing,just behind the blade.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
The farrel size is 11/32 and that will not be changing. It would require reworking the dies.

30coupe   Thunder Valley does not have any connection with Grizzly broadheads. They are now producing the Magnus line.

Imagine putting a few thousand inserts into broadheads.Then testing everyone of them to be sure they spin perfectly.That my friend would take up a lot of time. That is why I think it will be handled as a custom option instead of a stock item. Then we will only have to deal with exactly what the customer wants.

Keep the pictures coming folks!  :thumbsup:  
Bill

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
Doe antelope liver shot with a 200 gr Grizzly.35 yd recovery.

Buck antelope shot through the humerus with a 190 Grizzly,40 yd recovery.

A KME sharpened 200 gr Grizzly.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©