3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly broadhead shooters I need your help  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly broadhead shooters I need your help
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
A good grind is a great asset, but I don't want to pay the extra cost for a hunt ready sharpened head.  Call me cheap, but the first thing I'm gonna do after mounting the head is take it out and shoot the sharp edge off it checking arrow flight and in practice.  I can't imagine mounting a broadhead and heading for the woods without first checking the arrow's flight and sharpening it.

It might be a challenge to satisfy us all, Bill.  :D
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline chad graham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
the bucks i posted were all shot with the same broadhead.this is the head from the first picture the buck was taken christmas eve morning,quartering away shot@10yds went through a rib and lodged in the off shoulder the deer ran 40yds..i wiped the broadhead off and made this video.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
How about a free case of Bud Light with each 3pac of grizzlys? Sorry Bill, you know me though, I like a deal when I can get one. I'm glad you are running with this ball. I think you'll do just fine. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
Chad, How did you get them so sharp??  I switched to a 3 blade cuz I couldn't sharpen the grizzly's well enough. I'd consider switching back if the new ones sharpen better. Fred
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
1/4 away, that's where the link to Ron and KME will be a great assest. Ron helped me get my Grizzlys shaving sharp last summer. If I can do it anyone can.

~Bona
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
Bona, I agree.  I was just wondering what method Chad uses.  Fred
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fletcher:
A good grind is a great asset, but I don't want to pay the extra cost for a hunt ready sharpened head.  Call me cheap, but the first thing I'm gonna do after mounting the head is take it out and shoot the sharp edge off it checking arrow flight and in practice.  I can't imagine mounting a broadhead and heading for the woods without first checking the arrow's flight and sharpening it.
Grizzlys are harder than the hinges of hades! I hope that doesn't change.

When Ron would buy blanks back in the early days of KME, he told me he ground the bevel on one and sharpened it..left other side blank. it sat in his shop in a coffee can... shaving sharp for many moons...and rusted.

He took cardboard and stropped off the rust and it still popped hair on his arm!!!  

That is what good, hard steel will do...hold an edge.

Now... to your point of Pre-Ground bevel.

Many of us, me included, are 'sharpening impaired."

Shoot! I started "Can't Sharpen Shix International" as founder and past president!

here's the thing...with good steel, once the bevel is set, you can shoot it all you want...then it will touch up with little work.

I happen to be an advocate of the KME systems. I have both: knife and broad head sharpener. Only thing I can use to get consistently sharp things!

Once that bevel is set to say 25*, using the BH Pro (also 25* angle) putting that edge back following Ron's detailed instructions, working thru a couple stones and a few passes over cardboard... it takes longer to type and put the head in the clamp than it does to get it resharpened to incredible levels!

Just another view and $.02.  :)

If you're blessed and can run a blade or head over a file over and over at the exact same angle like some guys I've observed, then indeed, you'd not care... but if you match the bevel already on it... you can shoot it a good bit and in 5 min, have it back to hair curling (not just shaving, but splitting hairs lengthwise) sharp!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline chad graham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
these are older heads and they need a bit of tlc to get them shaving sharp.i use a file and change the angle as best as i can to 25 degrees until i have a burr along the entire edge,then use a medium and fine stone to work the burr back and forth until it comes off until it shaves the paper.i think the new heads will be alot less work to sharpen.

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
I would like you to sell the popular weight inserts, some quality cements, and field points to match the finished weight broadheads.This is simply a convenience thing to avoid multiple orders on small items.
Thanks for asking about the customer concerns.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2012, 03:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by stalkin4elk:
I would like you to sell the popular weight inserts, some quality cements, and field points to match the finished weight broadheads.This is simply a convenience thing to avoid multiple orders on small items.
Thanks for asking about the customer concerns.
That sure would be convenient!

Please don't make them too "easy" to sharpen.  I love Grizzly heads and hate to see them become "new and improved".  There are plenty of step-by-step sharpening tutorials out there.  They've got to be the simplest of heads to get sharp.

Griz "S" cut...

"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
My apologies !!!

I have a sample of one Grizzly that Ron at KME sent me a year or so ago.. It seems to have a small ferrule. Glad to hear that is not the case with production Grizzlies, I'm going to order some .

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
No apology necessary Pat.    :thumbsup:    

:biglaugh:  I dont think I have the right license for that one Don.

I'm with you Rick. After mounting any broadhead its time to head to the target. Just to be sure.

Great example Molson.

I like that video Chad.

Keep it coming guys. We have lots of space to fill.

The aim of the grizzly site will be to make it simialar to the Zipper site.What I mean by that is make it your site. The guys using the heads.Sure I still get the bill for the website but I want it to be a place with lots of useful info. Not just info though. Your stories and pictures. Your sharpening tips. Your grizzly broadhead experiences. Know what I mean? Some place you want to spend some time and check often.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
Hey Bill, how about a "TEST KIT" of Grizzlies so a person could try several sizes at once to decide what he/she wants?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Online twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
Here's a couple pics for you guys...

The originator with an original 160 grizzly...

and a close up of the head and signature...

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
Bill...I know its probably not in the cards....but I would LOVE to see an el grande a quarter of an inch wider.

I'm a big fan of muli blades and WIDE 2 blades...and I think the wide el grande would be great for big shielded board and larger leakage holes.

Glad to see someone carrying on the tourch for the Grizzes either way!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a future model with a wider head and the Griz length either.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline emac396

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Snazzy T Shirt     :clapper:

Sell sharpening stones as wide as broadheads are long. I thought I read KME was going to start selling them but have not seen em yet.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
"4) Maybe some snazzy t-shirts"    :biglaugh:  

"Grizzly El Grande" - no one in my neck of the woods that sees the  shirt would have a clue - tequila, a monster chalupa, or a cigar?

Looking forward to the site.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Bill,  will you have a link on the Zipper site that will take you to the Grizzly site and vica versa?

Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©