3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: True "D" shaped bows, and why we love'em!  (Read 614 times)

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
True "D" shaped bows, and why we love'em!
« on: July 19, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
With all of my bow fooling around over the years, and having shot the most radical hybrid longbows and recurves, to Hill style longbows with a bit string follow, my preference is for a longbow that shows no influence of reflex when strung; a true "D" shape bow. They just feel right to me, and I shoot them very well. I like they way they look, too; the energy in the limbs looks balanced and symmetrical.

Let's hear why you prefer D bows!   :campfire:

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: True "D" shaped bows, and why we love'em!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
One of my favorite styles as well!

Contrary to what I'd heard before trying them, I also find them easy to match arrows to.

There's just something about the feel of the shot with them.  And of course they're dead quiet when set up correctly.  I love not hearing even a dull "thump," just a whoosh...

Now, I'm obsessing about "D" shape bows with reverse risers.  Super pointable and accurate for me.

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
The analogy I keep returning to with their shot feel is the torque of a cummings turbo versus the fast and furious feel of a high performance 'curve.

I think they're more forgving of draw length variations and release errors as well.

Offline Anvil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
They are simple, tough and quiet. Will also last for generations.
Cutty47, can you give me an idea of who currently makes a reverse riser D bow?
Thanks!
Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.      Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127:3-4

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
Cutty,
You struck a nerve. After nearly 40 yrs in heavy truck parts it still gets to me. It is Cummins not cummings. As for D shaped bows they are the  bow of choice for me 66-68 inch. All the others a broken or bent. Too many bowyers trying to reinvent the recurve.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 12:30:00 PM »
Steve Turray of Norhthern Mist makes a reverse handle "D" shape longbow called the Whisper.  They are great shooting bows.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
I like the smooth, quick way they come to draw when you're swinging on moving targets. They like heavy arrows, they're whisper quiet, light in the hand, and elegant to look at.  What's not to like? (I'm even fond of that little thump in the hand on release)
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline MAC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
Howard Hill makes one also, I dont know if it is in their catalog but they do make it.
>>>>----Semper Fi---->

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :goldtooth:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
I like my kern river d shaped flatbow
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
Lol...sorry 58winters...I should know better, I drive one.

I just picked up an older Black Swan Forester that's "D" shaped with a reverse handle.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
Acadian Woods offers a reverse handle D bow too. I have only seen pictures, and it sure looks nice.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
Light in the hand.Rugged,hard to twist a limb,easy to string up.Quiet and dependable.Sreamlined.Dampen out vibration quickly.Have a certain feel thats pleasing when you get the shot of cleanly.And last but not least have a timeless classic shape that harkens back to days of old.If I was relagated to one bow I would choose a narrow, deep cored longbow with a D shape.I do love all the other different style of bows nonetheless.

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »
I shot wheel bows and recurves for years before I bought a Howard Hill Wesley Special last year. Contrary to what I've heard, I'm more accurate with it than any recurve I've ever shot. As has been said before its whisper quiet. I really like shooting it more than any bow I've shot. That's what it really comes down to is the bow that you most enjoy shooting and for me from now on its going to be longbows.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »
To answer Bob's question I like mine because: It looks good,is quiet,forgiving,no handshock,is light weight,& likes heavy arrows. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
They're simple and very quiet.

I hear the phrase "forgiving to shooter errors and releases", referring to longbows. Would this be referring to a r/d longbow as well? Even a radical one? Or would you say the true D-shaped longbows are what this is applying to?

Mike

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
It has been my experience that a radical R/D is more critical to release, and other human frailties, than a D shaped longbow. In my experience I shoot a D bow with greater accuracy and consequently greater confidence. And personally, I have never enjoyed a lot of pre-load in a limb, which is a factor of radical R/D longbows. I like a smooth draw from start to finish. It just feels right to me.     :thumbsup:

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
In addition to all the positives already mentioned, I've found some of these D-shaped bows, particularly those with bamboo limb cores, to be no slouches in the speed department, faster than I expected.

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 03:04:00 AM »
How many of you who like the style were hooked from the first shot, and how many had the style grow on them?

I'm in the first group.  One session with a Wesley Special is all it took.  And I was shooting a very good recurve at the time...

Offline OH at work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 06:04:00 AM »
Cutty, one session with my Cheetah and I knew I loved it  :thumbsup:  

Joe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©