3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Painted Bear Mag TD  (Read 205 times)

Offline oldgriz

• Trad Bowhunter
Painted Bear Mag TD
« on: July 19, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
I have 2 "B" handle Bear Mag TDs... one has a heavy coat of what appears to be flecked olive green paint... Not the same paint or texture on my original bow..
What was the original color of the Bear Mag TD??
What would you recommend to take off the flecked paint (the bow definitely need a refinish) that will not also destroy my hands or fume my brain worse than it already is...
And last question, what paint would you recommend to repaint the bow.
I am not looking to restore the bow to factory new condition, but I do want it to look nicer than it is now...
Tom Mullane
Bear Grayling Mag TD 60" 50#
Bear Grayling Mag TD 64" 37#
Wing Chaparell 60" 48#
Tom Cole Old Timer LB 68# 54#

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Painted Bear Mag TD
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
The magnesium riser TD's came in a variety of colors-black, brown, white, green, blue, and yellow all come to mind.   I believe the earliest risers actually had a 'flocked' or textured-type finish on them.   The last year they were produced the finish was called metal-vein(if I recall correctly).  

I have used regular sand paper and a dremel tool with a small wire brush attachment to remove old paint from the riser.  I never like messing with chemical strippers if I can avoid it.

I have used regular Krylon/Rustoleum to repaint risers.  It works ok but is not as durable as the original paint.

I had a friend that had his riser powder-coated and he liked it pretty well.   I had also considered sending a riser out and having it film-dipped in a camo pattern.   Hpoe this helps, good luck.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Painted Bear Mag TD
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
I would use a product called "Aircraft stripper" to remove old finish. You would need a pair of real rubber gloves like the ones used in a kitchen. I have used this product to refinish aluminum arrows for years now. It is hard on bare skin!!. No oder to speak off. I would use an auto paint to refinish the handle.
I have been told that shops that do power coating may not do the magnesium handle as the sandblasting used to clean the metal could cause an explosion.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©