3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sentinel Doe Becomes Jerky  (Read 790 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sentinel Doe Becomes Jerky
« on: January 02, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
My 20th hunt of the 2011 season began at 7:10AM on Friday, December 30th. My hunt would be a bit rushed as my wife and I along with our son's family were traveling to Brownstown, IN to visit her parents. I needed to be back at the house by 10am to stay on schedule.

It was quite warm at 6:30am at 47 degrees. It only takes 20 minutes to shower, dress, and drive 1/2 mile to my parking spot and then walk to my favorite stand.  I was in the stand at 7:10am-about 20 minutes before shooting light.

This year I've been hunting with a Habu Hycurve I bought from Tradganger, Bill a.ka. Maxwell this past May.  

It has been a very slow season for me so far in terms of bow-range opportunities. I missed a point-blank doe (she "jumped" the string)in Ocotober. I had passed a couple of bucks I didn't want to shoot. In fact, I have not seen a buck I want to shoot this entire season, on camera or live.

Here's a picture of the stand I'm headed for. I hung a Lone Wolf lock-on this year. I like it very much because I can adjust it a bit for a leaning tree.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sentinel Doe Becomes Jerky
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
:campfire:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
Nice set up Roy! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
I was hoping to get a shot a turkey or maybe a buck I hadn't seen yet this year.  I fully expected to have an encounter with a doe I call the Sentinel as she was the scout for her two does.  

While I could never know for sure, I believe this doe and her brood caught my son in November and then me just a few days before Christmas. She often comes from behind the stand, walking on the narrow pasture side where I can't hear her coming.

Here are pictures of some of what might see. The tree holding this stand is in the background. In fact, the exact tree is centered between the beams of the little  6-8 point in one of the photos below.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
:campfire:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
C'mon Lamb clone! Let's have it Roy! Good stuff so far partner!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
When I arrive on stand I always text my son and e-mail my wife with the exact tree stand I'm sitting in. While I could tell my wife this or leave a note before I leave the house, sometimes that little booger in my head 'tells' me to hunt a different stand as I'm walking out. I'd hate to have an accident and have folks looking for me under the wrong stand. I had this safey link completed by 7:20.

A gobbler began sounding off from a tree behind me about 80 yards or so while it was just getting light in the woods.  It is really cool to hear gobbling in the winter!  

I had been caught by the Sentinel doe a week before, because she showed up 30 minutes before she was "supposed" to (according to my scouting camera). So today, I decided to spend the first 60 minutes of the hunt standing and turned around in my stand, facing the direction I expected her to come.

Fortunately (for me), this gobbler caused me to change my position in the stand.

Frankly, this doe had become the target of my hunt. That week ago I had seen her from the corner of my eye coming up the fenceline behind me. She was already within 15 yards of my tree. I figured (wrongly) that her fawns (who are quite large)would be bringing up the rear.

I had to reach for my bow, stand, and turn for a LH shot in the shooting lane she would walk through.  So I slowly reached a few inches for my hanging bow. I didn't even get my hands around the bow grip when I heard a STOMP!  

Turns out the fawns were in the lead and were just a deer-length from entering my shot window. I hadn't seen or heard them, but they saw this tiny, slow movement. The doe blew and all three bumped up on the wooded ridge. She cussed me out for the next 10-15 minutes from the safety of the woods about 60 yards away. It is difficult to bite my tongue when this happens. Thankfully, it is a rare occurence.

However, THIS morning upon hearing the gobbler I decided to turn around so I could shoot to the woods if he flew down in bow range. Now I was set-up opposite the side I expected the doe to come from.

Here you see the Habu hanging on it's hook. I have a Beman MFX Classic with a single bevel, 125 grain broadhead snapped on the string. Total arrow weight is about 80 grains more than last year @ 505 grains.

I'm a string walker so if you look close you'll see a band of serving thread about 1" below the arrow nock. The blue band is for 20 yards. The black band under the blue is for a 15-yard shot. I know, this would seem less than 'traditional' to some folks. However, until last season I had been using sights and 'other' equipment for 34 years.  This black band is where I'll place my top finger (3 fingers under) for a shot 15 yards and under. If I were inclined to take a shot 30 yards away I'd place my fingers touching the nock. But I won't shoot that far (25 yards is my limit this year).

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
Keep it coming!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
I never heard the gobbler fly down. It was already 8:20AM and had been shooting light for nearly an hour.

I heard a loud 'snap' in the woods behind and beyond me about 80 yards away or so. I figured it was one of the cows that occassionally come through this woods. Just too much noise for turkey or deer. But as I scanned the woods behind me there stood a deer! As I watched her, within seconds, first one then another jumped over a dilapidated metal gate that is leaning and wired to a gap in the fence.

Yikes!  I figured this is the Sentinel doe and her two fawns. Instead of walking up the open side of my stand like last week, they had jumped from the open side into the woods before going by my stand. Ah, but she didn't know the gobbler had caused me to poistion for a shot on the side she would walk through if she kept coming.

She was looking away from me, in the direction of the loud snap I had heard. I retrieved my bow from its hook.  I know, I should have had it in my hand, but I fidget too much with the bow in hand. This year I'm using a Sta-Jack type arrow holder and had to release the arrow from it to prevent the arrow from coming off the shelf as I began to draw.

Now I had to decide what I would do.  It appeared she would walk through an 8-yard shooting lane with the fawns trailing. I thought it would be best to let her walk by, then a fawn, and shoot the last deer through. I feared if I tried to draw with deer trailing they would spot me and the cuss'n (by the deer and me) would be repeated!

She began walking my way. I concentrated on her. When she was opposite my tree she was only 4 yards or so. There was a small, soft-ball-sized hole in the cedar foliage that provided a clear shot to her ribcage.  She was scanning everywhere EXCEPT where I sat above her about 18 feet (oh, boy!).

Of course I was constantly recalculating my decision to shoot her or wait for the fawns. I thought I could make the shot through the little hole in the foilage.

But I remembered messing up on a small buck back in 1974 (Brown County, IN), my last year hunting with recurves before I turned to 'other' archery equipment. That morning I had tried to shoot through the very sparse and thin limbs of a dogwood that was under my tree stand. The little buck (basket-rack)was just a few yards away. My arrow rattled through those little limbs hitting, it seemed, every single one, and the buck was gone. I was happy to settle for a doe a few weeks later.  

Pretty cool that a lesson learned nearly 40 years ago was remembered this morning!

I decided not to take the hole shot at the Sentinel Doe.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
She stepped out of the foilage hole and moved into a bonifide shooting lane 8 yards away. Now she was perfectly broadside and I could see her eye-lashes. She was looking straight ahead which is the direction I come from when walking to the stand.

I was about to go back to plan A and let her walk through and wait for the last deer. However, I feared she might spook up ahead. She wouldn't cross my trail because I had walked in on the opposite side of the fence. Had I known there were 4-5 cows about 150 yards out front and headed our way, I would have been very concerned. The fawns were still trailing and moving and stopping, making very slow progress about 10 yards behind the doe.

The doe turned away from me slightly and put her head down to nibble forbs with her head down between the boles of three small trees. This was it. She was looking away, her vitals were exposed, and the shot was close. I knew the fawns were behind and could see me draw if they were looking up. However, I figured it would take only 2-3 seconds to execute this move.

I smoothly drew, pretending I was on my basement range. I just had to make a chip shot right over the pool table into my Glendale Full-Rut Buck.

Sure enough as I drew I heard something from the fawns. The doe looked their way.  But it was too late. The Hycurve had already bucked a bit and the MFX was gone.

Up until now time had seemed to crawl and my thoughts and decisions were able to keep up with the action. When that arrow hit the Sentinel doe the fast forward button was slammed down!  

The arrow hit her a couple inches forward of my aiming point which would be a bit high from the downward and quarterning away angle. However, I could see just the fletching entering high in the ribs, behind the scapula and angled down toward the deer's off-shoulder.

She dashed off the way she had been headed. I watched her run and then turn about 45 degrees to the right and away from me when she was about 20 yards out. She was running hard and she disappeared into cover about 50 yards away. I couldn't hear her. I was vaguely aware of the fawns making their exit. I didn't realize at least one of them had gone to the same place the doe disappeared but from above her instead of on her trail and below her.

I hadn't been very nervous. I got a bit nervous now but I thought the shot had been very good.

I waited about 5 minutes, listenting and watching. Then I sent a text to my son who lives only 150 yards from where I parked  my truck.  I let him know I had shot a doe, I thought the Sentinel doe. I told him the shot looked good.  He wanted to come to me and I told him just to wait.

While I waited and watched a smaller deer (one of the fawns?)came from where I thought the doe had gone. This lone deer was hurridly moving in that funny high-knee gait they have when hustling but not running. I took this as a good sign. I figured this deer had gone to the doe and been there when she dropped. Now this deer was moving away, only slightly spooked.

The shot occurred at 8:22 or so. I quietly lowered my quiver and bow and climbed down at 8:38 AM.  I went to the place where the doe received the arrow. I admit being pretty impatient at the spot of the shot. I didn't find hair, blood, or the arrow. Then I crept towards where she had run. I found blood about 15 yards out, right before she had made the right turn.  had I not found good blood right there I would have called my son and waited for help.

I thought I knew where she had gone so I left the trail and looped around in front. I was careful to stay off her exit trail.  When I reached the top of the ridge (just 50 yards further) there she laid. I whispered a quiet thanks to God.  She had scuffed out a large area in the leaves and was quite dead. There was no arrow.

I called my son and then began back-trailing the doe to look for the arrow.

Here is a picture of the blood trail and the doe. The blood trail was awesome!  From the Doe to the spot where she had turned, where I found first blood, the blood sign was profuse and unbroken.  I'm not claiming the Helix was the key to this blood trail but I was sure very satisfied.

I have a funny and sort of stupid (on me) conclusion.

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
nice job congrads!!!!!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
I never found the arrow. It probably hooked on something and flipped off the trail. A bloody, matted arrow hides on top of dead leaves pretty good.

When my son arrived I turned the deer 180 degrees and field dressed her.  Then I grabbed a front leg and waited for my son to to grab the other. He commented, shouldn't we drag the opposite direction?  We only had to drag her 70 yards to the truck parked on the pasture side of the woods. Of course I'm the 'expert' about this neck of the woods so I told him that I was headed the correct direction.  Being the good son he is, he agreed and grabbed that other leg.

As we approached what should have been the open area where my son had parked his truck I realized I had messed up.  We dragged that deer down the ridge exactly the WRONG direction!  I was embarrassed but more frustrated because a super easy exit just became more difficult!  I scouted another direction and found an equally easy slope, but longer drag out which didn't require that we reverse our downhill drag back up that ridge!

This reminded me of a favorite Polish hunter joke and now I was the butt of it.

Sorry for making so much of a doe kill.  But, this was a doe (I think) I was after and my first and likely only bow kill this season.

Bowwild

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
Oh, entry was on the side the deer is laying on and the exit wound was low in the front of the brisket.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Awesome!!! Great read this morning. Really like the pic.

Congrats Roy!!

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
Nice           :thumbsup:      :)
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
   :notworthy:
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
Sounds like you made a perfect hit. Must have gotten everything. Nice!
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Thanks for sharing!    :campfire:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
Thanks for reading guys. I enjoyed telling the story here.

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
Man I wish more people would make a big deal about a doe kill, myself included.Congradulation on a fine doe.  :thumbsup:
Jeff Couture

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©