3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Same bow 30 odd years  (Read 406 times)

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
Same bow 30 odd years
« on: January 02, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
Has anyone been shooting the same bow for decades?I am still shooting the same bow I started shooting over 30 years ago.When I decided to try archery I wasn't impressed by those compound contraptions.I found an article in the back of an archery magazine about an archery shop in Georgia run by some guy named Dan Quillian.Dan sold me a Bamboo Longhunter 65#@28 complete with a VHS video with everything I needed to know about shooting the Longbow.This was back in the day before girlie bows were recommended for starting shooters.It's a wonder I learned to shoot,eh!.I know some like a new bow on a regular basis and there's nothing wrong with that yet I'm still shooting that Longhunter.I was just wondering,Is it just me or are there others who are content with shooting the same bow for decades?
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Same bow 30 odd years
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
I do still have my first trad bow but it's been retired for 20 years.  I did shoot it this week end but just a few arrows.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
I like to build my own bows, so I rarely use the same bow for more than one season.  That being said, when I'm on the 3D course, I fear the man who only has one bow.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
I still have and shoot a Darton Ranger that I bought in Ontario, Canada in 1974, 58", 52lbs @28". Its not hurt so I'll be using it for a long time yet. I also still have my Indian archery bow in wooden case I had as a kid.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
Wildcat hunter, I killed my first two deer with a Darton Ranger and my wife is still using it. I shoot it every now and then and wonder why I need new stuff.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
Wow, Thats unheard of these days. I dont really have a choice...I only have one bow. The one I have now, I made up my mind when I got it I was gonna learn the bow inside and out. Not sayin I don't want another...but for now I'm content with what I have.

Jason

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
What a Prize! One of Trad's finest. Great bow! Great weight! Dan would be proud! Any pix?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
I've been shooting my longhunter built by Dan for the last 30 years as well....time flies, I also have one of his recurves and its also a fine and very fast bow. Mines a red elm 68 inch 68 lbs.

I only live about 20 miles from where his shop was and used to enjoy BSing with him in his shop on the weekends. Quite a guy.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
You are a bowyer's worst nightmare, but as for me I think that's pretty darn cool!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
:notworthy:     :notworthy:    :notworthy:

My hats-off to you! If I could do that I reckon my shooting would improve. I have a Quillian Bamboo Longhunter and it is a sweet bow for sure.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
I have been using my 1st recurve an Appalachian Archery savage river that I bought at the PBS Banquet at Wheeling WV in 1990.  To this day it is the only bow that I have owned and even though it is showing its age I will not change until it finally gives out.  It still shoots where I look and has made dozens of kills why fix what is not broken.

Offline Kavogt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
Not mine originally, but I'm carrying on with my father's Temujin. It's a couple years my senior, but still shoots well. Wouldn't mind notching a deer with it some year to go with the caribou my father harvested with it decades ago.
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it"
 - Friends of Voltaire - 1906

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
I would think that you must shoot it very well and  like the others have said, why fix what is not broken.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
I am also content with what i got witch are two longbows. can't see buying anything else since both bows are great. I believe having two if something happens to one during hunting season then i have a back up.
>>>------John------>

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
I'm not the greatest shot but I have no doubt that I can get the job done.Occasionally I do run across a bad arrow.During the summer when fishing is on my mind I may go a month or longer without shooting.When I take that Longhunter down it's just like I shot her yesterday.I guess it's the ole riding a bicycle thing.I do own a '67 Grizzly but I basically shoot it for fun.I have a fascination with the Longbow.I don't think I'll ever get over it.
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
My wife wishes I would do that, but it hasn't happened yet.  I think it was Gene Wensel that said bows are like good friends, you can't have too many.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
i want to do that, i want to find that right bow and have one and only one bow for everything. I ordered a Black Creek Siren t/d and hopefully that will be it
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 01:17:00 AM »
That wing in my avater is over 34 and it still hunts.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 01:19:00 AM »
:notworthy:  

I will like to be shooting any bow in 30 more years !!!
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 01:39:00 AM »
Contentment is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have.    :thumbsup:
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©