3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ethics  (Read 599 times)

Offline docmerrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Ethics
« on: January 02, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
I have vented and vented to friends, but I still have the need to vent some more.. A little background. I have hunted with a compound bow for 14 years.. This year I converted fully to a recurve. I have killed several nice bucks over the years. However, I lost the "buck fever".. So, I converted and it was the best decision I have ever made..

Long story short... I shot a nice buck in early October and couldn't find him probably grossed 120 as a main frame ten. I made a great shot, so I thought but had no luck retrieving him.. I was depressed and did not take my bow back out for two  weeks. I continued to look for the main frame ten I named g4 but failed..

My brother in law is a compound hunter and ethical or so I thought.. I finally got over my lack of retrieval and got back in the stand.. I took my brother in law out that weekend only to have 140in buck within 40 yds coming right at me.. I heard in the distance "cough cough" My brother in law was hacking up a lung due to his addictive smoking habit. Well you know the rest of the story..

Following weekend: I took my brother in law back into the same area.. Wind was perfect and I put him in the tree that I was in the previous weekend.. I must have been smoking something that morning, because to this day I don't know why I did that.

Day break the buck approached him following a doe.. Ten yards he shoots it in the leg with a compound. As the buck approaches me I can tell it was not hit very well (limping and still on the doe) 20 yards, I make a vital shot and was pumping for joy..Long story short to save a family fight I let him tag the 136in nine point.. I got pictures and know in my heart its mine but I am still bitter because it was my best buck to date, AND MY FIRST TRAD KILL!!
Zipper "Hunter Series 48#"
Bear Cub

Offline docmerrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ethics
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
Here he is!!

all images wider than 640 will be deleted
Zipper "Hunter Series 48#"
Bear Cub

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
Congrats I guess, You have to resize the photo its to big. And win or loose you made the kill shot so it should be yours family fued or not.Oh and dont take him hunting anymore...LOL
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by docmerrow:

.. I got pictures and know in my heart its mine but I am still bitter because it was my best buck to date, AND MY FIRST TRAD KILL!!
Sorry it didn't work out quite right for ya, but I'm glad you finished off the buck to save it from any misery due to infection.  If it means anything I think you got your first trad kill.  Your brother-in-law drew first blood, but if I were in his position, I would have given it to you for the mortal hit.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
Congrats I guess, You have to resize the photo its to big. And win or loose you made the kill shot so it should be yours family fued or not.Oh and dont take him hunting anymore...LOL
X2
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by docmerrow:
I got pictures and know in my heart its mine but I am still bitter because it was my best buck to date, AND MY FIRST TRAD KILL!!
What's the big deal Then??? You know the truth and that is all You need. Trad Bowhunting isn't about this or that, But a way we enjoy Stick and string. I agree.. You shot a Great Buck and did great On Your First trad Kill... Enuff said....

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
Sorry about that. I don't understand how somebody could think they deserve the animal with a leg hit. I would think every time he see's that buck he will know in his heart its really yours. Maybe one day he'll give it back.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
Depends on how bad he was hit, from your story it dont sound like too bad or he wouldn't still be trailing the doe. I believe I would have tagged it myself, if you hadn't shot it he probably would have never seen it again. It would be different if he was gut shot or mortally wounded and you just finished him off.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Peachey:
Depends on how bad he was hit, from your story it dont sound like too bad or he wouldn't still be trailing the doe. I believe I would have tagged it myself, if you hadn't shot it he probably would have never seen it again. It would be different if he was gut shot or mortally wounded and you just finished him off.
Totally agree. If I was you, he could find his own land, do his own scouting, and hang his own stands from now on.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
Nice buck.  What's the complaint?

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
I would have kept it, whats right is right.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
At least you saved money on a shoulder mount  ;)

Nice buck. Sounds like you were the bigger person

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
In Pa it's the person that has the lethal shot. What if both of you had the lethal shot? But it sounds like you had it, so it's your deer. If he gets mad tell him to look some where else to hunt.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Now you know what your dealing with.I would hope he took some notes on where and how to set up stands cause hes going to need it.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
Well let's look at the problem a little closer. You got to take a nice buck with your bow and you still have a tag. HMMMMMMMM.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
Hope you let him gut and drag the deer, since it was "his", after all.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
Great shot, we here know what happened so congrats. What you do from here is whatever feels like the right thing to ya. Its easy to say kick the bum aside, but the whole family thing is a tough one.
YOU did good. He's got a LOT to learn.
David M. Conroy

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
You are the better man. I think you have a big chunk of KARMA in the bank for the future. I would feel happy just to see the bucks you did this year. May the hunting gods smile on you.
Tom

Offline Jeeps84

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
That's your buck. I have no clue why he would tag it. and I dont think that would be legal hear in VT. Congrats! John

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
What's more important, peace in the family or a head on the wall?  You and the Maker know the full story and someday it'll pay you back in spades.  Let this one go, accept the lesson learned and move on.  You know what type of person he is now and too bad you had to learn it this way.  Ethics are what each of us believe and you've found many who agree that yours are running at a higher level.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©