3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New bow Help  (Read 195 times)

Offline kybowhunter2

• Trad Bowhunter
New bow Help
« on: January 02, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
Im in the market for a new bow. Recurve or longbow. I want a takedown. So what do I need to get. I have shot BW, Bears, Martins, JD Berrys, Thunderhorn, well I have shot a lot of them. I just dont know what to get. I dont really no any of the custome builders or anything. I just want a good bow that is tough and shoot decent. Im a hunter and thats what it will be used for. I dont like to hang them up and look at them. If you guys dont mind give me some of your opinions on what I should get. It dont have to be a new bow either. Thanks.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New bow Help
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
PM sent

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
PM sent

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
Try and take some time off at the end of this month and get yourself to Kalamazoo, you can shoot many different bows and have the choice of the one you like.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
Zipper Hunter model, Stalker Surge. Great value, great bows. Good Luck!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
Only you can decide what bow is good for you.  Shoot a bunch of them if you can before buying.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
Look at our sponsor bowyers list up above.  Anyone of them would fit your criteria cause you don't have any criteria.    :wavey:  
A & H archery, Stalker takedown longbow, Talltines longbow, Toelke Lynx longbow...all of these i can personally say are great bows...for me, cause these are some i've kept.
 The best advise has already been given.  Go shoot a bunch before you decide.  Your decision will most likely come down to what kind of grip you like.
Good luck in your search!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
Since you don't have any criteria, just get one that fit your budget, and fit you, shoot it hunt with it, if you like it great, if you don't sale it!
Good luck... I mean, you need to start some where with a bow of some sort so just pick one and give her!!

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
We have alot of members in kentucky,maybe a few of them will alow you to shoot there bows to help you decide.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »
There is no shortage these days, plenty of great bows on the market.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
I second the suggestion to go to a bow show or two. That's what I did back in 2001 when I started to return to recurves. I 'followed' a Fox High Sierra from the Kentucky Klassic to Cloverdale (IN). I shot that bow and several others. I could tell if I liked most of them by first looking and then holding them.

As someone who has bought several (too many?) custom recurves over the past couple of years, I recommend finding what you want and then searching the Trad Gang classifieds for a used one. In my experience these Trad Gang used bows are in nearly new condition.

I like relatively heavy risers with limbs that make 58-60" bows (recurves only for me). I have a strong affection for exotic lumber which adds to the cost.

A bow that is perfect for one person will be a discard by another. I traded for a very popular recurve more than a year ago. I traded it again in less than 3 days because I didn't like the upper portion of the riser.

Many bowyers also have "try-out" equipment they will loan you for the cost of shipping and insurance. My only caution would be here is that I've test-driven bows and it is very difficult for me to send em back!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
To answer your question about which bows if money isn't an issue:

1. Habu Recurve
2. Schafer Silvertip
3. Black Widow PA (not a takedown)
4. Black Widow PSA
5. Black Widow PCH

If you want an very fine ergodynamic shooter that is practically indestructable (metal riser), a Strickland Stick.

Offline bigbuckmalik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
I'd throw a Bob Lee in the mix too. I love mine and have read that alot of guys do too.

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
You should hit the Comptons South event in Late february or the KY Trad Fest and shoot a few before you buy Both evnts are listed in the Trad events page.
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©