3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Info overload - adding weight with tubes?  (Read 114 times)

Offline CanadaCanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
Info overload - adding weight with tubes?
« on: January 02, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
I'm really quite happy with my current set-up, but might want a heavier arrow.

Currently:
Carbon Express 150 arrows, three feather helical 5" fletchings and either an aluminum insert and 212 grains of broadhead (Grizzly with steel adapter) or a 100 grain brass insert and 125 grains of field point.  I launch these with a 51# @28" deflex/reflex longbow that I draw to about 46# at 26".  This yields: 536gr, 11.9gpp, 19.4%FOC (I found a fancy calculator on-line!)

I've bare shaft-tested this arrangement and now everything seems to work really well if I do my part.

The thing is, I have been reading about arrow weight, and it seems I might benefit from heavier arrows.  

1.  Do I need to add weight, or should I?  

2. If adding weight, can I just buy those tubes from 3Rivers and be done with it, or will they change everything and send me back to the starting point?  Is there a "best" way to do this?  Is there an easy way?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Info overload - adding weight with tubes?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
If they are flying good I wouldn't change a thing. Looks like a good setup to me.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
Your shooting 11.9 gpp,I wouldn't change a thing,if it works thats more than enough.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline CanadaCanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
Thanks guys!  That's pretty much what I wanted to hear, as I prefer going out and shooting the bow to tinkering with the equipment (actually the main reason I abandoned the compound years ago and took up the stick bow recently).  Thanks again.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
A straight shooting arrow is more important than arrow weight alone. A poorly flying heavy arrow will probably not out penetrate a straight shooting lighter weight one. The fact that you have a lot of weight up front, to me, is the most important.  I think your set up is just fine. My wife shoots 45# @ 26" and I have her set up with a Beman MFX 500, 27" with 200 grain Razorcaps....always gets two holes so far on bear and deer.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©