3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Trad Broadhead for good blood trails?  (Read 789 times)

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Trad Broadhead for good blood trails?
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
While I agree with most of the above replies,(shot placement, sharpness, exit hole, etc.) I have noticed that multiblades normally put more blood on the ground.  I'm with BCD, Woodsmans give me the best bloodtrails with routine pass-throughs.  For me, the 40 year search for the best deer broadhead is finally over!
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
I've shot a lot of different heads over the years, but from what I've learned besides sharp and in the right place is 2 holes are better then one, and the bigger the holes the more they tend to put blood on the ground.

Sounds pretty simple, but it truely is just that simple.  

All else being equal, 160 Snuffers are hard to beat in my book.  The Big Jim Big-3 (VPA) head is basically the same head but more solid.  Haven't shot a big game animal with the Big-3 yet, but I'd expect the same results as the 160 Snuffer as far as blood on the ground.  

Magnus 1's put some blood on the ground too, and I've never not had two holes when shooting them.  Have only had two arrows actually stay in the critter and they were longer shots of 31 and 28 respectively.

Zwickey Delta 4-blades are also one of my favorites.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
In my experience Simmons Treesharks and Big Snuffers put the most blood on the dirt.Regular size Simmons nest with a Magnus I. You gotta shoot Simmons Through some stuff before you appreciate a Great Bloodtrail.RC

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Snuffers!!!!!!!!!    :archer2:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
In my humble opinion the best blood trails come from huge mulit bladed broadheads but were needed because of the trauma on impact.  In simplistic terms the bigger the broadhead the bigger the blood trail BUT the more it was needed because they traveled farther due to the felt impact. period. To clarify a well hit animal with a two blade fell within site while a  well hit animal with a huge multi blade bleed more but  went farther from feeling the impact.
For me its a comprimise, a Magnus Stinger 4 blade. Shot two deer this year with a total tracking job of 50 yards both,neither left my sight. Have had the same results for the last several years. Ur mileage may vary but doubt it. And no I don't have any connections with Magnus.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
That reminds me a a deer shot with a 140 grain Hill, it did not act like it was hit, I have had it with Grizzlies as well.  You are right they don't go far and sometimes they don't hardly run.

Offline lunchbucket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
Very intersting thread here and lots of good info.

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 12:12:00 AM »
Best is truly subjective

I have had my best results with Snuffers

I just got a bunch of Woodsmans .   I have heard great things
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
Is this enough blood for you? Razorcap broadhead. The trail was only 30 yards.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline RUTANDSTRUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
i have shot more whitetails than i can count over the years.  i have shot them with the largest of 4 blades to the smallest of two blades.  bloodtrails seem to be dependent on three factors:
1) sharpness
2) shot placement
3) penetration
over the years, i have concluded that the penetration was the most important factor in recovering my animals.  that is why i always opt for a good strong two blade with a high mechanical advantage that is SCARY sharp!

Offline RUTANDSTRUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
i also wanted to note that most deer i have shot with a super sharp two blade usually don't act like they are hit and usually stop within 30 yards and die.  no need for blood trails there!

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
I've shot about 75 deer over the last 32 years with 2 blade Zwickey Delta, 2 blade Magnus 125's, 2 blade grizzly, 2 blade Eclipse, 3 blade razorcaps and 3 blade Kustom King Trailmakers.  

I've been on trails of at least 50 more up at Shrewhaven with varying heads.  

Here's what I've found, IN GENERAL:

1) Two holes is important
2) Low exit is important
3) Grizzly head seemed to cause least reaction upon impact.
4) Double lung shot animal went less than 100 yards and usually less then 75.
5) 3 blade heads produced the most blood, no contest.
6) I don't think I could calculate a difference between length of travel between 2 blade heads and 3 blade heads.
7)  If there's a high entrance, but no exit, 3 blade caused more blood to follow.  
8) Three blade and two blade would stop on off shoulder knuckle/brisket bone and I don't think I could say one had an advantage over the other--both had only one hole in the deer.
9) I can always shave hair off my wrist with all my heads.

All that summarized.....I'm shooting 3 blade Kustom King Trailmakers. In the areas I hunt, I need to find the animal due to coyotes. I've learned how to sort out the trail of most deer, but on some it took good light the next morning.  Now with increased yotes everywhere(and bears and wolves at Shrewhaven Lodge) I want the best trail I can get.  That's a three blade head trail.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
160 Snuffers the only broadhead i will use but i also would suggest at least 53lb at 28 to ensure two holes  
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
P.S.
My best friend just shot a deer a week ago up behind his house on an evening hunt just prior to dark. The deer traveled parallel to the house and ended up dropping about 75 yards from the house.  He went back to change clothes and his wife had dinner all ready to go (she wasn't confident in him bagging a deer) so he sat down and ate a quick bite and headed back out to gut the deer.  Coyotes had alreay opened a plate size hole in the body cavity in that time!
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
This particular animal had a mid chest entry and exit just above the heart on exit side. The perfect shot placement for ideal blood trailing. I just found it a little strange for the blood to be so sparse. [/QB]
Maybe it was a quart low to begin with.    :dunno:  

Location, location, location...if you don't put it in the right spot, little else matters.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
I enjoy serrated steel force sabertooths - but nothing is going to match those spitfires - nasty.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ray Lyon:
P.S.
My best friend just shot a deer a week ago up behind his house on an evening hunt just prior to dark. The deer traveled parallel to the house and ended up dropping about 75 yards from the house.  He went back to change clothes and his wife had dinner all ready to go (she wasn't confident in him bagging a deer) so he sat down and ate a quick bite and headed back out to gut the deer.  Coyotes had alreay opened a plate size hole in the body cavity in that time!
sounds like you guys need to have a good old fashioned coyote derby... T
"Us vs Them"

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
double post
"Us vs Them"

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
SHARPest AND BIGest that'll make 2 holes LOW IN THE LUNGS

Fastest blood
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©