3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shoot or Don't Shoot? And Where?Pic Shot 2 on pg2  (Read 676 times)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Shoot or Don't Shoot? And Where?Pic Shot 2 on pg2
« on: January 03, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
I've seen this done on another site and thought it might be a good thing to do here. Here are the parameters, the animal is in your comfortable shooting range, whatever that may be, and is only a thing you know. You have a very sharp BH and are proficient. The BH arrow combo is good enough to kill anything that is in North America. The animal is legal and you have the required tag (even if it's by dream    :)  

Everyone good? Good. All I want to see if you would shoot or not and where. You can copy the photo to one of many different editing programs and show where you'd shoot. This could help some new folks on the different shot angles and where to put an arrow. Feel free to "play" if you're new, some of the experienced guys could correct if needed and why.

This is not meant to start a debate that gets out of control. I can just see a lot of the winter doldrum threads starting to appear, and thought this might break it up a bit. Feel free to add your own pics of game.

Here's the first critter. Enjoy.

A nice Blacktail Buck. I am no expert by the way    :thumbsup:  

The red dot is where I would send my arrow.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoot or Don't Shoot? And Where?Pic Shot 2 on pg2
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
I like the spot you aimed for.  I would wait for the deer to turn it's head away for the shot.  That deer is close enough to looking straight at you to pick up your draw movement, go on high alert and jump the string.  Or just bolt out of there before you can shoot.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
I had this similar shot from 15 yds.  arrow entered between the 3rd/4th rib from the back and the broadhead was sticking out the front of the far shoulder. I'd take it again in a heart beat   ....... at a comfortable range!

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
Pass on that one by the spread of his back legs as soon as his head turns he will be walking  to the left and you will have no shot. and he looks to be about a second from going high tail and spoting you.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
yep.  I would use the opposite leg as a reference.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
Ryan no fair if YOU pick the best spot  :)  I like the angle, I like the "in range" distance, and as long as he isn't looking at me I am dropping the string.

So I am at anchor and seeing my "spot" and hoping that arrow punches a hole in that offside shoulder.

Now the most important questions: 2 Blade or 3 blade sticking out that shoulder   :p
Mike Davenport

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
"You call the Shot"

I would pass, until He turned his head or drop it to feed. I would also wait for him to turn his body for a better broadside. For Me I don't like that hard angle.. I want a 100% double lunge or double lunge Heart shot...

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
I think that deer needs some food.  He is too hungry to jump the string.  

BTW, your spot looks perfect to me!

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
Mike it depends which one I pull out of my quiver. I'm equal opportunity  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
Like the others I wouldn't shoot because his head is turned towards me and if he turns right the little branches will ruin the shot. If he turns left and walks straight away no good. Only good shot is if he either turns his head forward and stands still or turns 90 degrees to the left.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
This shot angle would work for me , only I would like for him to turn his head,unless he is wearing my bifocals. I not that good, to fool him.Maxx
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline Rhodi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
I would probably pass on this one. Hes alomost looking straight at me and the brush and fence in front, would probably make me wait for another shot.
I hunt deer because I love the entire process; the preparation, the excitement,and sustained suspense of trying to match my woods lore against the finely honed instincts of these creatures. - Fred Bear

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
This shot angle would work for me , only I would like for him to turn his head,unless he is wearing my bifocals. I not that good, to fool him.Maxx
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
Don't shoot!  Just follow him for a little ways, cause he's about to drop on his own!  I'd say from starvation by the looks of it!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
Im already at full draw , that is why he is looking at me, he heard something   ;)  arrow is away to the red spot.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline arrowslinger22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
I wouldn't take the shot, too risky an angle and he's looking at you.  My way of thinking is:

Alert deer + tough angle = midnight in the swamp
Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realize that we cannot eat money

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by wtpops:
Im already at full draw , that is why he is looking at me, he heard something    ;)   arrow is away to the red spot.
yep

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
I would never take that shot. Deer is alerted and is going to move. When he moves a bad angle gets way worse. If you do hit him it most likely isn't going to kill him quickly.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »
Alrighty Shot #2

I know its quatering to a bit, but it's a coyote, and just about any arrow is going to punch through the little bugger, and , well it's a coyote. If you got this close, you'd better make the most of the opportunity (which I didn't on this dog  :)  And this is assuming he'll be in the same place when the arrow gets there LOL!

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
i don't like that angle very much since hes actully standing straight away, but since he turned to look at the does over my shoulder from me he apears to be quartering wich creats an inside quartering shot,( very tight ) and im not sure i can clear that barbwire without raising off my seat a little, if he does jump the string he's gonna drop and roll away from me, so i better aim just a bit lower than the the spot you picked. (if he's still there after i thought that much about it...........hmmmmmm.....he looks kinda sick anyway i guess i'l let him go).

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©