3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk hunt in Sept. Pants?  (Read 910 times)

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk hunt in Sept. Pants?
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
I used First Lite shirts the last few years and really liked them a lot so I decided to pick up 2 pr of their pants for our 2011 Elk hunt in mid-September. I really liked how the merino pants worked but found them not to be the most durable. As you will find out west the dry air turns downed wood into rock hard objects that can tear anything they catch. First Lite stood behind their pants and replaced them so I will be using them this year but being more careful. First lite and merino wool is incredible, I highly recommend it and even better First Lite comes in ASAT Camo....it's like having your cake and eating it too. I also like Day One light fleece in ASAT too but you'll find in CO that burrs that stick to clothes are all over now days and they just love fleece.
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
LOVE the Kuiu Attack pants. I have many other pants in various materials including Sitka and wool pants. For cooler conditions the Attack pants are not always as warm as I would prefer, but overall they are my favorite pants EVER for hunting and for daily wear. For what they are, the Attack pants are bargain priced. I would like to see them made in a variety of colors and would buy half a dozen. I like my Sitka pants a lot too, and also my whipcord wool pants. Core 4 Element also makes some nice pants I have that seem to have been "inspired" by Sitka Gear. I also have had good experiences with Cabela's Microfleece. Make sure to have good Merino or poly long underwear too. I prefer the Merino personally, especially for minimizing smell on lengthy hunts.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 12:59:00 AM »
Cabelas microtex. Comes in whatever weight you need.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 01:08:00 AM »
Do you need to spend $200 on a pair of pants to kill an elk?  The answer is a resounding, NO.  However, I think that if anyone with an open mind spent a week hiking steep inclines at elevation in either Carharts, wool pants, or Kuiu the answer as to which was better suited would be just as obvious.  To each is own, but my attack pants were worth every penny.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 01:27:00 AM »
Here's what I wear 90% of the time for early bow season. Have worn them from 30 degrees with long johns to 80 degrees in the Missouri Breaks. Hard to tell in the pic but they are about a $180 pair of 100% wool dress slacks, from England or someplace, that I picked up at Sierra Trading Post in Cody, WY for about $18. Very comfortable and work in just about any weather.

No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 04:17:00 AM »
Day One's ASAT in buck suede. Quiet yet a light thermal underneath for chilly mornings.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned I have a 36" inseam. Sometimes, that is tough.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
KOM Bunlight

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
light warmer wear I have a pair of Kuiu attach pants  on order. Layering is the most important thing, you might need to add and take off layers throughout the day. take a pair of good leggings (long john's (or two)light weight and mid weight(merino wool or other high quality material) and a good wind/water proof over pant.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
By all means, wear your September pants to hunt elk  :laughing:  !

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
I wear a pair of pants made for turkey hunters. They are some soft tech fabric that is quiet and drys in a flash, waterproof knees that are really nice if you go down in a swale to call in that big bull. The pockets on the sides are fgreat to carry calls- I think they were desgned for turkey calls but work for a reed call, a folding saw and a couple lengths of para cord.

Early or late I have yet to hunt in cotton. Considering the changable weather (I talked to a hunter this last early season and he told me about one year they had snow every day the second week on though usually its in the 50's) and the choices available in high performing fabrics, I leave cotton at home.

Lots of good economical choices if you don't have to have the very best and latest dedicated "hunting" pant. Lots of sales on very good stuff designed for climbers, backpackers etc. Get a soft, bushed fabric though.

I hunt in light wool pants after the second week. Very veritile.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
I had always hunted in cotton BDU's.  Last year I wore a pair of sitka ascents, and they were great.  Much cooler for mid-day walking and they dry must faster.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
Thanks Huntryx... I was wandering myself what Sept pants were?   :) .

I think you can wear anything you want to wear!  

1) Quiet
2) Quiet  
3) good enough "texture" to pass the 12 yard stare down by a bull that notices you're not a tree.  

The rest is personal budget and choice.  

I like Microtex for hot weather with silk underneath (warmer than 75).  Its pretty cheap and elk look right through you.  

However, mainly I like wool pants with silk underneath.  We hike and hunt nasty steep country and yes I get warm if I hike in the sun, but we DON'T usually.

Elk don't like hot sunny slopes in sept anymore than I do in wool pants.  We spend out time humping mountains before and after dark, and we spend our days on cool damp North slopes WHERE THE ELK ARE.  You will love your wool pants when sleeping with the herd mid day on the north face.  

PS  Between me and my two partners, we have 40 plus seasons and 20 plus  bulls on the ground.  

PSS And yes carharts are fine!  Especially the tan ones if worn by the caller.   :)

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
It really depends on how you hunt. Typical backcountry elk hunt we will be packed in between 9-12,000' and still need to cover ground to find them so factor that into my preferences.

I prefer a lighter pant that sheds water. Of the heavier pants; Sitka 90% might work, KOM, SI- just too heavy

Best bang for the buck; Cabelas Microtex or Microtex light- these get better with age and if soaked in "Softshell pruf' by Minwax perform incredible.

I like the Sitka ascent but they rip easy. My favorites are a pant made with Schoeller dynamic[sp?] fabric though non camo
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Cabela's MicroTex is da bomb!

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
I'm another Microtex fan.  Like others have said temps can vary greatly and how you hunt will make a difference in what you want to wear.

Good long johns  to layer when cooler and I use my rain pants over all of it if the cold rain or snow hits.  

I've hit more temps in the 80's in early September than I have cold and snow but have had both in the same day before.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
I wear cotton, but in late August and early Sept it's pretty hot! If I had the extra money I'd get some KUIU, but on second thought, I'd save that money and go hunt another state for elk! Mabey with Shedrock  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
The Predator Sueded Warp Knit Pant is quite nice. Polyester so you can stay away from cotton. Light weight and quiet.

I wear the KOM Omnilite stuff most of the time. Between the two I'm pretty much set for anything that happens.
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline DKdc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
Dont wear cotton. And bring rain gear.
DK

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2012, 12:28:00 AM »
Wool.  Millions of high altitude sheep cannot be wrong.  It was 4degrees first morning of our late season.  Army wool from Germany, surplus for 18 bucks, did the trick.  We were just under 9000 feet.  Pay what you have, get trousers a little large, use suspenders and unzip to cool if too hot. Tighten up when it cools.  Military teaches venting top and bottom to regulate heat.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©