3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I'm going to do it!  (Read 306 times)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm going to do it!
« on: January 03, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
Kill a turkey with my longbow without a blind. Not because I think its more "Trad" or I'm looking for more of a challenge. Because I simply hate blinds. I don't like packing them, sitting in them, setting them up, taking them down, or the depth perception/visibility issues of shoot thru mesh.

I've got plenty of turkeys, a leafy suit, sharp broadheads and a good recipe for tag soup. I want you guys to hold me to it this year. I'm no stranger to killing turkeys but any good "no blind" tips would be appreciated. Like, should I remove bow quiver? I shoot with one on 100% of the time but was thinking of taking it off for turks.

Thanks in advance.   Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm going to do it!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
If you have someone else calling thats an easier way to get it done.  Have them bring the bird past you.  Calling yourself and shooting is gonna be tough but you can do it.  It will be that much sweeter when you score.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Good luck Rob. I had two shots last spring with my bush in a bag on. Got busted from movement too. Background cover is as crucial as front cover. I hunt bare bow for what it's worth but I see guys who get them with bow quivers. I just like a side quiver for all my hunting.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
Beats me, I havnt been able to get it done yet. Good luck, tag soup tastes terrible I know from exp. But im gonna keep on trying.
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
If you can do it, so can I. lol.

But, so far, I'm 0/15 on turkeys. (0/6 wheels, 0/6 recurve, 0/3 longbow) I get the shots, I just can't hit them. Mostly bad judging distance, but I have taken a few feathers off a couple.

Good luck.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
I shot one turkey without a blind. They are around our house frequently and their patterns are well, patterns. I had been out hunting in the blind and having no luck, came in. It was Fall so there was possible to shoot a hen. Well, a flock of turkeys showed up after I "stopped" hunting. They were working their way to my orchard. I thought I could sneak out the back door, and get behind one of the sheds without being detected. It was warm day and I didn't have time to put on any camo...in fact I was bare chested. But I figured, if I don't try I'll never know. I put my plan into action. Slipped out the back door, waited for them to disappear behind the sheds and vehicles so I could sneak up on them. I got to the sheds and the flock had settled down to be under the shade of an apple tree. A couple of hens got up and walked towards the woods and I got spotted just as soon as I spotted them. I had a clear opening about 10" wide on one of the hens. The shot took her through the top of the thighs and it was a short trail to where she gave it up. I guess I'm saying, that you don't even need camo if things are just right. Good luck and think of my shirtless kill when you start to give in to the temptation to do it easier. I'm in the same boat you are in. I am thinking that after four turkeys, 3 from the blind, it is time to get one in a natural setting, calling them in, etc. In fact, I find myself more on the ground lately for all my hunts. Maybe a Fall bear from a natural blind. I almost did it once so I know that it can be done.

I think, that as far as bowquivers go, I would use natural barred or some other earth tones for my fletching with a lighted nock to determine where the arrow went.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
Well add me to the turkey,longbow no blind gig,I also want to get it done........
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
I was also thinking natural colored arrows. Maybe just a fur tracer. My arrows now are red with a red fade wrap. Probably wouldn't be very safe for turkey season.  :eek:  

I plan on starting a "No blind turkeys" thread when season gets closer. If we get everybody onboard the turkey population should double this year!  :D  

Rob

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
My tip...Don't move.    :biglaugh:  

Good luck and keep us posted.  I'm going for it again this year.

I've done it without a blind in the past, and I atribute it to being lucky, not good.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
Ya I gave up on that after the second round of wasted permits, to much money for permits in jersey to just get busted.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Ipcjon2, Thats what I love about turkey season. I don't feel any pressure to fill a freezer and a tag cost more than a store bought bird to begin with.   :thumbsup:  

Rob

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Good point, I wish you all the luck and it would be a great accomplishment.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline treetoppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
I hunted spring gobblers that way the whole season last year.  Managed to blow a 9 yard shot on opening morning, and a 15 yard shot three days later!  Later in the season I had two jakes at about 6 yards and never got to draw the bow. Its a very hard task to take on but thats what makes it so fun. I  switched completely to trad this past year; prior to that it took me 5 years to kill one with the wheelie and no blind!  So count me in too!  My only tip is "actually hit the turkey when you do get a shot!"

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Why not just use a fletch cover and keep the bow quiver on?

Good luck.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
I got dang close one time. Me and a friend called a bird in from probably 150 yards. Seemed like I didnt get my bow a half inch off the ground...busted, game over! But man it was fun. I've had'em close but it's almost impossible to move. Maybe we could do some callin for each other this year.

Good luck, Jason

Offline MountainManZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
I did spot & stalk on turkeys with a trad bow for seven seasons and my best tip would be to not rush your shot when they see you! When I started out I would panic when I realized they had spotted me preparing to take a shot, and I would rush my shot, usually missing them as they were still standing still looking at me. I quickly realized that if I just went through my normal shot sequence at normal speed they would almost always give me enough time to get a shot off before busting!

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
Sounds like fun to me. I'll give it a try.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
THATS what I am doing wrong!! Next Time, I am gonna get Buck-Nekkid and SCARE the Sucker to Death!!  :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
Try this setup that has worked well for me just about every time and I have never been busted using it on SINGLE gobblers. (except for this year...didn't hear the first gobble) Roost a gobbler if possible the evening before.  Take an inflatable hen and jake decoy with you. When within 100-200 yds of the roosted bird, set your hen out facing away from you and just on the edge of your "shooting lane". Set the jake decoy out at a comfortable shooting distance facing directly at you. Sit in an area where you have good cover behind you and can draw comfortably. When you call the Tom in he will usually go straight to the jake, face him at full strut and pick a fight. With his fan in full strut he usually cannot see behind him well and will allow you draw and shoot (he won't like were the arrow goes but it gives you a central aim point if you know what I mean   :D . If you can't get a shot and he destroys the decoy (mine has a lot of duct tape covering spur punctures and shot holes) he may still move to the hen decoy and try to mount up (once again facing away from you). Draw and release. Hope this helps! It gets me 2-3 birds each spring season  usually within 7-15 yds of me (in SC we get 5 tags).
"Do or Do Not, There is no "Try"
Martin Savannah 45#
3PC Home Built Longbow 53# @ 28"
MAJ - SCARNG 1998 - Present

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
I'm going to give it my best this year, too. I need to get a much shorter bow, though. I have a hard time shooting a 70" Hill with my bush-n-a-bag.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©