3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Biting The Bullet !!!!  (Read 389 times)

Offline Pistol Young

• Trad Bowhunter
Biting The Bullet !!!!
« on: January 04, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
I have been shooting traditional for a couple years, but just couldn't make myself hunt with it exclusively. During the 2010 season I had it in the tree in Illinois along with the Hoyt. A doe came in 15 yds, quartering away and I came to anchor twice, letting down, second guessing my self and not wanting to wound a animal. I hung it up and killed the doe at 38 yds with the compound. I practiced all summer with all intentions of taking a deer with it in Nebraska in Sept. I had shot a 140" 11pt as well as a few Does so I went in naked with only the recurve. Like clock work the Doe came in at 8 yds broadside. I shot just over her back, she takes a couple steps and I released a second arrow " JUST OVER HER BACK " she makes a few hops and the 3rd arrow barely skimmed her back. No blood, just stringy backstrap meat on the arrow. I seen her on 2 different occasions over the next couple days. I put it back in the case and have not hunted with it any more this year. I've spent the last 3 months shooting from my elevated shooting tower. Talking with a few of my Trad only buddies the only way I will kill with it is to bite the bullet and hunt with it." DUH "
So I'm headed to a target rich environment in Texas for 3 days next week and only the Recurve and Longbow will be in the truck.
I hope to get my first Deer with traditional equipment.

By the way I lurk around alot without posting. There is a tremendous amount of info on this website.
Thanks Guys
Pistol Young ( Trad Newbie )
Black Widow PSA III 56" 53@28"
Black Widow PLX "camo" 62" 50@28"
Tunica Longbow 64" 56@28"
Bob Lee Hunter TD 56" 52#27"

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Biting The Bullet !!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
Stay focused and bend at the waist from the elevated stand and focus on the spot and relax,you can do it.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Pistol Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
Thanks Man !!
Been picking the brains of quite a few guys from this site.
Black Widow PSA III 56" 53@28"
Black Widow PLX "camo" 62" 50@28"
Tunica Longbow 64" 56@28"
Bob Lee Hunter TD 56" 52#27"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
Go get um buddy ....  DON'T MAKE ME PUT THE RUGER CURSE ON YOU!!!!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
I had that happen once! I called a good friend from the stand and he told me I WASN'T BENDING AT THE WAIST! Shot a doe about 20 minutes after our phone call and made a concious effort to bend at the waist. Now it is second nature but it can be a tough thing to remember sometimes!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
Bend at the waist and Pick a spot!  I repeat this phrase as deer walk in.

Try it and let me know how it works.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
In Byron Ferguson's book "Become The Arrow" he suggests emphatically in the section on body position NOT to bend at the waist on angled shots and that he arrived at his opinion from "considerable shooting from a tree stand". He points out potential shooting problems created by doing so, including a tendency to drop the bow arm and to "short-draw". I have observed on my club's 3d range's down hill shots that shooters who bend at the waist consistently "short-draw". Mr. Ferguson instructs that the alternative is to bend the forward knee on down hill shots, the back knee on up hill shots to get the proper angle on such shots.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Don't mean to sound rude, BUT SELL THAT WHEELIE BOW. When I was making the switch to trad bows I sold My wheelie and never looked back, Plus I got better because I had made Myself shoot more and knowing I couldn't go back unless I dished out a few hundred on a new wheelie bow.. That will never happen.

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
I always thought the point of aim technique was a decent way to transition from compound to trad.  It still gives you the reference that your used to in a sight.  I'll prob. be hanged by some guys here for saying that but it works.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline shallowobx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
Agree with Mystic...selling the compound and having the recurve as the only option makes it a no-brainer when walking out the door to hunt.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
Mystic makes a great point.  Sell the wheelie then you have no choice but to use your trad bow.

But, make sure it's exactly what you want to do first so you aren't replacing it later on down the road.

Trad is more a journey than the actually 'kill'.  Remember that and you will enjoy your hunts much more.
>>>--------->

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
Start shooting small game.  You really have to pick a spot on a squirrel to make the shot.  Hitting some squirrels or rabbits will get your confidence up for your next shot at a deer.  Good luck.

Offline docmerrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
I unfortunately did not have this problem. I converted fully to traditional gear this past year.. I actually found it to be easier than compounds.. In pa most deer are killed around the 20 yard mark anyways. The non hold and smooth slow draw made the shot so much easier.. As far as the no sight thing. I did a lot of bowfishing with a compound the past 3 years learning to aim low and shoot.. That seemed to convert me ahead of time.. I truly believe some people have better hand eye coordination and instincts which changes the learning curve.. Don't get frustrated keep shooting..
Zipper "Hunter Series 48#"
Bear Cub

Offline rod251

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
I flip-flopped between the recurve and compound for a few years.  Sold my compound this year and haven't looked back.

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
Because the doe hung around for three shots, I'm assuming she wasn't too wired and ducking your arrow.  If this is the case, 2 complete misses and one nick from 8 to 10 yards suggests that you might not be ready.

Remember, stricly from a "hitting where you are aiming standpoint", a complete miss is actually worse than a marginal hit.  A couple inches here or there results in a marginal hit.  You have to really shank it to miss completely.

Don't mean to be a killjoy, just something to think about.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
Hey Charles... I'm gonna guess you did not "pick-a-spot" on the deer you shot at... Most of the time when you look at the whole animal the shot goes right over its back... Understand what I'm sayin' here. That's what all the talk is about "picking-a-hair" cause in our every day lives we see and quickly identify things by their shapes.

Don't rush the shot either! Maybe you "peeked" before the arrow cleared your bow. Bow hand moves, shot is off... Just hang in there and give it time to come together. It's a way different game this trad stuff, but once you tap into it you'll never want to go back!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
Good luck on the hunt, and don't forget to post pics with your hunting story when you get back.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
PICK A SPOT. also you said your taking a long bow an recurve to texas. If your new an having some problems you should leave one of those bows home. that way you will be leaving 1/2 of your problems home.It is best to deal with one bow at a time.good luck, ED

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
Others have said it. You did not pick a spot. Every time that mistake results in shooting over the animal. Pick a spot, pick a spot, pick a spot.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
Don't make the mistake I did! I shot trad since 1957, stoped in 1974 (I was pretty good) and didn't shoot again until 1996, spined my first doe and went right to a wheelie because it really broke me up. shot that compound real good, killed lots of deer, but for me it just got too BORING, it's like picking up a vertical cross bow, the only difference is I had to draw it. Now this is me I'm talking about and my views only.

Went back to Trad a few years back and never looked back! I still have my compounds, I haven't shot them since the day I went back!

Get some self control man!,  it's not rocket science, just do it! YOU CAN DO IT!, there is no doubt!

I'm not afraid of heights, but I hunt 80% from the ground now, that's where it's at, great action and excitement.

Good luck in Texas, and keep us posted.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©