INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The 'SOLANA GAMES' have begun!!!  (Read 27046 times)

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The 'SOLANA GAMES' have begun!!!
« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2012, 12:35:00 AM »
Great buck Gregg!  Excellent photos!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Gary Sorensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: January 10, 2012, 02:25:00 AM »
Nice buck Gregg. Congratulations!

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: January 10, 2012, 04:13:00 AM »
The story of the special event is unfolding nicely.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2012, 07:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by Butts2:
You got to be kidding??? These stories are going to get better! Nice Buck for sure    :thumbsup:  
At least from Randy's point of view they do!    ;)
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »
So the next morning I go to a ladder stand. Even before it is full light I can see deer coming in.  By 7:15 am, I have six does and a small buck feeding within 30 yards.  The closest doe is @ 16-18 yards away and when she turns broadside, I aim low and drop the string.

Look at these diagrams to see how she moved before the arrow got to her.  Amazing string jumping!

Yeah, That is right...the deer spun towards me something like 150-180 degrees before the arrow hit her!
MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
So I knew the deer was hit back.  Two hours later when John picked me up we looked at the arrow and I was pleasantly surprised to find significant blood on the shaft.  I figured maybe I caught part of the liver and decided to leave the area undisturbed and come back to look after breakfast.

Four and a half hours had elapsed when i loaded up with three guides; John, Robert and Gary and two dogs; Nacho and Taz to go look for my deer.

It was a rare treat to be off by myself with those guys and hear their BS as they gave each other a hard time and strategy as they planned the best stand opportunities for their hunters.

When we got to the stand site I told Robert where the deer had been and pointed out a line of travel that I had seen that stretched close to 80 or 90 yards.  He put Taz out right away and the dog got right on the trail.  The situation was confused by the fact that there was virtually no blood on the ground and there had been seven deer on site when I dropped the string.

Taz would follow the trail and lose it and follow it again.  We knew there was a creek about 100 yards from where the trail got tricky and with some prompting from Robert, the dog moved off in that direction.

John and Gary went back to drive the truck around the creek and Robert and I followed Taz.  Within a few minutes of the time we seperated, Taz bayed the doe in the creek and Robert and I ran to the scene where I quickly finished what I had started.

I am pretty sure that we could have found the deer without the dog because I had a good line on the deer's travel and we would have definately searched the creek bottom.  However, watching the dog work was pure pleasure and greatly added to my Solana experience.

MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
Congrats on the buck and doe Gregg!   :thumbsup:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
once again gregg, BIG congrats on both yer kills!  most excellent sir!  your 8ptr, the first kill of the hunt, sure set the bar up high!

it was such a pleasure to meet up with friends old and new.  that's the thing about solana - it's much more than just a hunt, it's a gathering, a rendezvous of real good folk with good camaraderie and good times.  the highlight of my year, for sure!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
Way to go Gregg!!! Congrats again!  Two hunts two deer on the ground, or water...  ;)
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
Great job Gregg congrats.    :clapper:
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by gregg dudley:

Originally posted by Butts2:
You got to be kidding??? These stories are going to get better! Nice Buck for sure     :thumbsup:  
At least from Randy's point of view they do!     ;)  [/b]
Your right because I think the story about your doe is great. Things can happen but following through was exciting. I wish I could have gone. Taz is awesome and when he comes out I love to see him work.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
geeze Gregg 2 deer in 2 days? How many critters did you take?

NICE

L.R.
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
This was my third trip in a row to Solana. I'm going to talk about hunting next but before I do I would like to add that this trip is much more than just the hunting. It is a great experience to be around a bunch of traditional bowhunters for the week just hanging out and learning.

On the previous hunts I had deer under the feeder on all the hunts (4 morning and 4 evening) and several nice shooter bucks each trip. This year was different and the worst conditions my guide could remember. With late rains there was an abundance of green stuff for feed and we had a full moon so the deer weren't coming into the feeders like normal. Out of the 8 hunts I saw zero animals on 5. However one special evening.....

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
This has been an awesome read so far.  Can't wait to read more.  Thinking bucket list!

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
Hey Gregg!  Way to go sir!  Awesome deer (both of them)!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: January 10, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
Well the first evening hunt had me sitting in a new stand that had been hunted very little. After sitting for a good bit after the feeder had activated I caught movement just to my right. In came a little fork horn buck.

A little later I see a nice 9 point coming in he is a shooter for sure. He gets to the fence though and balks turns and walked away. About two minutes after this deer walks by I get this message from Gregg

“Just shot a BIG eight. Shot looked good, but did not get a pass through. Thought I heard a crash.”

So like all have said there is a lot of great things that happen during this hunt and the enjoyment and excitement I felt for Gregg got me going. Of course the text burn up the air waves and virtual handshakes are going out.  Before I knew I looked up and had two bucks coming my way. Then the little fork horn coming in from behind me and another showed up out front.  Then to my left a Texas beast walked out. All of them headed my way.   Before I knew I had seven bucks under me two of them for sure shooters.  I had my eye on the one I chose as he moved around seemingly thinking as long as I don’t stand right there I am safe.

Finally he made a mistake.  I tensed the string as he walked into the narrow shooting lane.  I drew to anchor and picked a spot just under the body line. I have seen the evidence these deer can move quick. I dropped the string and wouldn’t you know I found the only deaf deer on Solana. He never twitched a muscle till my arrow sailed underneath him and smashed on the rocks. I miss read the situation this time.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
This was my first Solana trip, but with any luck at all sure won't be my last.  What a great group to hunt and generally BS with.

I didn't do anything to reduce the Texas deer population, or its hog population for that matter.  Had one shot at a hog, so, as counseled, held low and forward.  Unfortunately I overdid the low bit and bounced an arrow right behind its front feet.  Damn those porky looking things can boogie when they want to.  

I managed to get blood on an arrow - though that was from Nacho, who needed something to chew on after the deer he was chomping on was moved to the skinning shed.  He decided that one of my arrows would do quite nicely.  When I figure out how to get them off my phone I'll post a couple of pictures of the mighty Nacho.

There a lot of good stories from Solana - one of my favorites being Izzy and a hog reprising a 3 Stooges routine, but I'll leave the story for him to tell.  The best part, however, was seeing some old friend, making some new friends and just generally having a great time with a bunch of good people.  The TG guys, the guides and the other folks who work at Solana were all great.

A special thanks to the TG guys who made a Solana rookie feel completely comfortable.

paul
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
Congrats on the doe Gregg!!!!!! Randy, what happened to you is why I cannot make myself aim under them. I just never know which one is gonna jump the string and which one is not (Disclaimer: I also have never hunted those wired deer at the Solana Ranch either!!!!).

Come on with some more guys!!!!

Bisch

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
Oh Randy,

There always has to be one that didn't read the script.

Keep the stories coming guys.

Not quite as good as being there but will have to do for now.

:bigsmyl:
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: January 10, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
I've aimed under them and missed over their back...  Also hit them square, and have done just what happened to Randy.  I think the scenario when they don't move is the worst, perfect shot directly into the rock you're looking at...  I feel for you on that one, but from the hints sounds like you took a good'un...  

Always an adventure when the string drops!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©