INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The 'SOLANA GAMES' have begun!!!  (Read 26987 times)

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The 'SOLANA GAMES' have begun!!!
« Reply #280 on: January 11, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
Great stories and pics!  Sounds like you guys had a great time.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #281 on: January 11, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
another highlight of the hunt for me was meeting up again with charlie lamb.  good stories and laughs, and charlie's bow and hunt knowledge is a deep well of solid resource.  looking forward to his book, too!

after my friday morning killing of the buck, i really wanted to go back to the road stand that evening and seek out a doe, and our guide david was pleased to oblige.

by about 5:30pm i was covered up with deer - 5 does in the big window, 3 more to the right and under tree limbs, 3 or 4 bucks coming down the road from the north.  man, was that exciting to see!  

a nice doe lined up broadside in the big shooting hole, i drew to anchor slowly, picked the under chest spot at the hair line, aimed the arrow and made the release and then ... all hell broke loose as about 10 deer sped off over the road to the southwest.  

dang, a miss - the arrow had bounced down on the road, but i was so sure it had hit low, right where i aimed, as the doe did more wheeling around 180 degrees than dropping down.  from near 20 yards away, the feathers didn't look matted down with blood or guts, either.  bummer.

as the evening light faded with the setting sun, and shadows disappeared into the night, i climbed down from the stand and checked out the arrow.  it was covered in bright blood from the point to the nock, a complete pass through.  the bright pink feathers weren't matted down flat, but they were smeared good with blood.  however, there was nothing more than a small spot of blood on the road itself.  

david arrived for the pick up and advised leaving the arrow as is - we'd pick up the team and come back for search after suppers.  however, when the truck was full, he drove back to the road stand and we began the blood search - i took a bow along as well, just in case.

the blood trail was sparse in the beginning, and then some good splotches were found until it stopped cold.  david set out a tracking dog, but nothing turned up, we went back to camp and that was that.  disappointing, but that's the way it goes, sometimes.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #282 on: January 11, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
Terry - Fabulous thread! Please reconsider posting upcoming trips of high intersest. Yes, there will always be some that are a little too impatient as well as myself on occassion. The thrill of anticipation is wonderful and may be all that one takes home from a hunt. Sure some of us will fall in the prelims , however those that hang in receive the greatest of treasures in return.

Note: I have one nice buck on the wall that is actually made a 360 turn. The entry is virtually identical to my point of aim on the other side.

Thanks again for a wonderful thread to all those special contributors. Looking forward to the rest of the story.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #283 on: January 11, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
Excellent first trad trophy Carlton!  Great photos as well!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #284 on: January 11, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
Greg, as usual an awesome pic you took of my buddy Carlton.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #285 on: January 11, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
Great stories out of Solona, as always.  Looking forward to more.

Izzy, love that sunset pic.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #286 on: January 11, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
My 1st morning sit was interesting as well as exciting. Upon arrival at the stand a whole herd of cows was bedded literally all around the tree. Guide Robert was a little apprehensive putting me in there fearing that the game would not come in with them there.

I assured him I was fine chancing it and waded through a sea of tasty looking cattle.

Soon after Robert driving off I could see deer moving in through the predawn fog. The cows didn't appear to bother the deer much and they arrived at the feeder seconds before it went off as if they'd been wearing watches.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #287 on: January 11, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
The group of deer were 2 big nannies and a yearling. Soon they were joined by another from a different direction. I watched them for what seemed like a half hour and finally picked what I thought wad the biggest. Soon enough I had a perfect 1/4 away angle with her head down. I finally got close to full draw and all 4 deer go alert and stare off into the distance.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #288 on: January 11, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
The subject of their attention was a 3 1/2 year old 8 which was considerably smaller than my solana buck from last year which I vowed not to shoot anything smaller this year.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #289 on: January 11, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
That buck got a pass but I switched my attention back to the bigger of the doe. Again coming to nearly full draw I was defeated by the love sick buck which ran my girls off into the Texas brush. That ended my sightings for the morning.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #290 on: January 11, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
Great photos and stories from all, it seams like every outing was a great adventure. Now I have to go and do some self help stuff to get over my jealousy
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #291 on: January 11, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by roknjs:
  I wish I could have taken something there, but hearing the stories around dinner and sharing the excitement of the hunt, was a great experience for me.
Jeff I have no doubt it wont be long and you will.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #292 on: January 11, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
That evening found me in "the artifact stand" where last year I picked up 2 ancient flint tools while bloodtrailing a doe I had shot from it. I saw 3 doe after the feeder went off and my finger was getting itchy. Two went behind me but luckily a big old mature gal fed in perfect position for a quarter away shot. I got to about half draw and she heard the slightest rustle of my wool coat and was goooooooone!

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #293 on: January 11, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
A short while later I hot a text from  Randy letting me know 3 more doe were coming. Before they got to me someone started letting loose with a rifle at one of the ranch buildings and they too were gone.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #294 on: January 11, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
To be honest I truly can't remember the next mornings stand but oh man, things started to get really memorable that evening.  

I find that one of the worst things about my job is that it unfortunately, sometimes drains you of adrenaline and it takes a good bit of excitement to get the heartrate up. The following hunt had no problems giving me a case of "elvis legs".

I'll be back tonight to lay out the details as I recall
 them with some interesting pics.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #295 on: January 11, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
These pics might not mean much to most,,,,....but I've been going to this ranch for 10 years I guess...before TradGang was even started....and for me....looking at these pics brings back many memories of hunts of the past. I can remember several morning and evening experiences from these sites.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #296 on: January 11, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by gregg dudley:
[QB] John at play; deadly!!!!!!!

Is he string walking?????  That arrow looks really high for any other style.

« Reply #297 on: January 11, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
Sorry you could not locate that doe, Rob but this is how it goes once in a while!

Great pics, a Terry!

Come on Izzy I want to hear more......

Bisch

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #298 on: January 11, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Greg Clark:
Originally posted by gregg dudley:
[QB] John at play; deadly!!!!!!!

Is he string walking?????  That arrow looks really high for any other style. [/b][/QUOTE

John has his own unique style for sure.  You aren't going to see it anywhere else.  He uses an unorthodox finger placement and a kisser button  for consistent anchor and can smack the heck out of the target in hunting ranges. He just picked up a stick bow last January and has already killed several deer and hogs.

It looks a little different, but it works well for him.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #299 on: January 11, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
Terry, I haven't seen any stands I recognize from my opportunity to attend, but I recognize those first couple of picts from your posts from previous years and from the ground view.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©