INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The 'SOLANA GAMES' have begun!!!  (Read 26914 times)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The 'SOLANA GAMES' have begun!!!
« Reply #300 on: January 11, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
He is deadly no matter how you look at it. He has the game in the bag to prove it.

NOW BACK TO THE HUNTING!!!!!

TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #301 on: January 11, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by FerretWYO:

NOW BACK TO THE HUNTING!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #302 on: January 11, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
Thought I would slip this in while we are waiting for Izzy the ____________ and____________ slayer to return to his story.

This is how we roll...

Izzy, Stabow and me fronting the rental car.
Yeah, it's a G2, baby.  Fits three hunters and their gear if two out of three hold something on their lap.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #303 on: January 11, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Robert had been talking to me about a few brand new stands he had and had not had the time to really see what was on them. I figured I had my buck I would gladly scout out the new spots. Well the first one turned out to be a bust. It was in a really cool place. Just no deer that night. Not to mention one had to be part monkey to get into the stand He had up.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #304 on: January 11, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
Fantastic stuff guys. Congrats to each of you.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #305 on: January 11, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
Gregg

Thanks for the info.  Very cool!  The name of the game is to put the arrow hitting the mark.  How it gets there does not really matter.  Just curious about the unusual looking arrow / hand aspect.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #306 on: January 11, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
This is a self portrait in the Jack Guard style.  We like to call it, "Doing the Jack!"  This craze is sweeping the ranks of hunters at Solana faster than planking or owling.  To do it right you must bug out your eyes to the point where they hurt.  If you remember last year's Solana thread you saw the origin of the art form with the master himself, Jack Guard.  I can only hope to aspire to his level...

And yes, I waited too long to pull on the jacket and was freezing to death!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #307 on: January 11, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #308 on: January 11, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
Gregg that picture is pricless.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #309 on: January 11, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by gregg dudley:
This is a self portrait in the Jack Guard style.  We like to call it, "Doing the Jack!"  This craze is sweeping the ranks of hunters at Solana faster than planking or owling.  To do it right you must bug out your eyes to the point where they hurt.  If you remember last year's Solana thread you saw the origin of the art form with the master himself, Jack Guard.  I can only hope to aspire to his level...

With mugs like Y'alls that level ain't too high...

:bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    

And yes, I waited too long to pull on the jacket and was freezing to death!
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #310 on: January 11, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Boys.
Enjoy reading this one every year!!
Bill

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #311 on: January 11, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
New item on my bucket list- Be apart of the Solana hunt.

This just looks like a blast guys, thanks for sharing!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #312 on: January 11, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
Where were we? Robert was gonna put Skylar in a stand but Randy had already sat it and offered up that it wasnt doable for a lefty so instaed of Ol Sky, I got the nod.

One of the only complaints I have had about Solana is the lack of ground time, no opportunities to walk and still hunt and check out all the birds and trees and rocks and things. This was a lil bit different. I had to walk along a small rise for anout 200 yards and approach this particular stand from above through a prickly pear flat.

Made it to the stand and found it to be a bit squeaky as Randy had indicated earlier. I was hoping the breezy evening would negate the squeaks and moans of the stand. I was gonna make the best of it and try and make something happen, our team needed some meat in the bed of the truck.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #313 on: January 11, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
The 1st deer to come in got a green light and I was ready and willing. She was a youngish doe which I scrutinized for quite some time to be sure she wasnt the dreaded nubbin buck.

Took her a while to quarter away and just as she did I drew, hit anchor and............ busted again. She heard a slight rustle that she didnt like and was gone like a puff of smoke in a hurricane.

To borrow the saying from Robert "I Cant Truly Say What Was Going On  Over The Next 10 Minutes, I Was Having Some Quiet Time To Myself. "

After who knows how long I was back on point and opened my eyes in time to see 4 gals crossing a low pasture about 100 yards out. They were very spooky with the wind and made a big loop which brought them to my right, slightly uphill and about 3 bow lengths way. They were covered in brush and I couldnt shoot just yet even though I was close enough to see whiskers and the shine of their lips.

Two smaller ones crossed in front of me through a finger of cedars. I let them pass waiting for the biggest. As I caught glimpses of her I started drawing "Shakira" making her flex those limber limbs. As soon as the big doe was clear and straight broadside I aimed 3" below her heart and released.

She did the classic Texas drop and roll which didnt pay off for her this time. The 650 grain Silver Flame tipped arrow caught her exactly where I wanted and I watched her do about 150 yards of that flat out death run that makes a man sure his game wont go far.

I gave her some time and about 10 minutes after the shot I heard a deer blowing about 50 yards from where I saw her enter the cedar choked feeder creek bottom. That let me know for sure she was mine. While the sun was still up but sinking fast into the horizon I got dow for the tracking.

Initially only a few  sparse drops of blood, common in my experience of Texas deer.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #314 on: January 11, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
Within a few yards the blood started picking up and it confirmed the line I had seen her run after the shot. A few more yards and I picked up an ancient flint tool, cool. And then I found this untold Texas tale.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #315 on: January 11, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
After a quick I walked to the creek bottom where I thought the doe had entered. At first I couldnt find blood and just started walkeng likely looking areas. As I rounded a bend in the creek I saw a black "calf in the brush about 25 yards away and paid it no mind for a few more step.

At this point I start asking myself "Why Is That Calf Alone In This Creek Bottom?" and "Why does it have a tan underside?"

The calf turned into a 250# boar hog by my estimate and he wasnt going any where. I picked the 2 closest trees, nocked an arra and grabbed my camera phone. Here what I was looking at!!!

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #316 on: January 11, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
Gret stories so far  guys. Congrats on all the kills thus far. Looks like I'll have to catch the rest of
This in a few days. I'll be out of phone service till Monday. Keep it coming guys
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #317 on: January 11, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
I decide to advance on him and try and put an arrow through his vitals. He started getting active digging his snout and raking it through the leaves. He turned and walked my way and stopped behind the trees you see in the still pic. I moved up to about 10 yards from the tree when a "Ring Around The Rosey " game started with him and I. He won and caught my scent, never letting me get behind him to quarter that arrow into him. Heres a vid clip, hope you like my expert hog calling. Sorry man the video is not working!    :banghead:  He wound up running off and I got back to looking for the deers blood trail.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #318 on: January 11, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
Backtracked to the creek and here is what I found.  

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #319 on: January 11, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
A little ways into an open pear flat, there she lay. A beautiful mature Texas doe. She ran a full 200 yards with a 1 1/2" wide double lung shot.  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©