3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Night Time Bowhunting For Small Game  (Read 748 times)

Online Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Night Time Bowhunting For Small Game
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2012, 07:12:00 AM »
Yes you are right StanM. The article to which you are refering in Traditional Bowhunter Magazine was in a 1999 issue. Don Thomas was our speaker for our Annual TBM Banquet. He wanted to do some hunting while he was here in Maryland. So he, his Wife lori and my self and a couple of other TBM members went after Nutes. We had a great hunt together. Don wrote the story for Traditional Bowhunter Magazine. Hey Izzy don't worry man. I don't think I can hold a candle to Sam and Bisch, them guys are Texas killing machines, but I will certainly give it my all and have fun doing it(LOL).

Tony

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »
Really enjoying this one Tony...cool stuff!!  I have a very simple light set up that I will post up later.

It's helped me take 3 hogs at night, an one epic miss last week!   "[dntthnk]"  

Tony, Sam ,and Bisch together is extremely bad news for TX critters!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »
Thanks Curt. Looking forward to the info on your light setup. Man if the 3 of us could get together, that really would be something and I would be in some very good company.

Tony

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2012, 07:34:00 AM »
Hunt at night...wow...the wife wouldn't even know I was gone!

Gonna look into the rules here, but there's a good chance it's not allowed. Thanks for sharing this guys, I find it really interesting as it's unlike anything we do up here in Canada. Never heard of a Nutria either (sounds like a health bar) Look like a cross between a muskrat and beaver?

Thanks Tony.....Ryan

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2012, 03:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Steve H.:
StanM:  Looks like you are getting a bit cockie after your two kill night about three posts ago.......you need to pay more attention as you have a THIRD critter sneaking in on you from behind!  Watch your SIX Stan!
LOL Steve, that's Leopard, wish I was half the hunter that guy is!  We've watched him a couple of times from the kitchen window putting the stalk on all kinds of critters.  He's a stone cold killer.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
Cool stuff Tony! No pic's but have got rid of a few skunks and chased a few song dogs. Our archery club used to have a night shoot for years that was alot of fun. Thanks for sharing.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
About to load up my BackQuiver and take my new to me " Big Five " out on a night hunt. Dont know what Im after yet mostly fun..........
,,,,,,Sam,,,,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline JO_EZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
This is some great information.

We do a bowhunting camp out up north in October and this year the coyotes were howling amazingly close to camp. So, I have been planning to go after them at night after supper next year. The pictures of the light rigs have given me some good ideas.

Doyle
I started shooting a longbow because I thought it would simplify things and it did... now I simply need to get a whole lot closer to hit anything.

Work'n when I have to, fish'n when I can...

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
Well I went out last night wind was blowing about 20-25 nothing came to my calls. Got shots at 2 skunks missed the first shot then about an hour later I got this guy.He is my first kill with my "Big Five" , think I might tan the hide.
,,,,,,,Sam,,,,,,,,,

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
Do skunks spray when you shoot them with an arrow? I shot one with a 22 that was getting in our garbage and had already sprayed the dog twice. Biggest mistake I could have made! The garage stunk for a whole month!   :biglaugh:

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Can’t even imagine shooting a skunk with a bow. Thanx for sharing…

Sam - Sent you an email...

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
i hunt hogs at night all the time and most of the time right at dark they end up as coon hunts as well
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
Tony, Great subject, I never even thought of hunting at night. In the north esp. in the winter could be tough, but loved seeing what the boys in other areas of the country are doing. That grey fox was outstanding.

Offline bow'narrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
Have hunted at night with the bow for many years.  Put some reflective tape on your shafts.  I get mine at Ace Hardware. Hard to lose arrows at night that way.
no clue how to do this

Offline bow'narrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Have hunted at night with the bow for many years.  Put some reflective tape on your shafts.  I get mine at Ace Hardware. Hard to lose arrows at night that way.
no clue how to do this

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
Yezzzz.....
Sam is a special breed!  One heck of a throw-back woodsman and more importantly...One heck of a friend!!!  
BTW....you don't want to possess four legs and a furry hide when Sam is in the woods with a bow  :)  LOL!!!  

I spoke with Sam earlier this afternoon and we may be seeing some big pig photos if any wild swine are unlucky enough to cross his path this evening.
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2012, 03:21:00 AM »
Went out tonight after hogs at a friends place and had a nice 200# boar come in an hour before dark.Bad part was he came around me and did not like how I smelled.A very very cold front blew in and I sat as long as could stand it.Had to get up and move around , walked around in the dark til I found a good place to set-up and do some calling.Well it worked and I called in this fox to about 10yds and as luck would have it I made a good shot.Saw him move into an opening and hit him with the red light and lip squeaked him on in.......
,,,,Sam,,,

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »
Awesome Sam...congrats bud!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
Beautiful fox Sam. Youve inspired me to get out and call if I ever get another day off work.

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
Congrats again Sam!!!!
That's should make a pretty quiver or wall decoration!!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©