3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Itty bitty kitty wanted to eat me...  (Read 511 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Itty bitty kitty wanted to eat me...
« on: January 05, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
but I took her picture and counted coup (kinda).

Here in IL we are down to the wire. Only 10 days of season left and I need one more deer for the freezer. I am also trying to perform my own exorcist on a season full of trainwrecks for me...a treestand accident, a bad miss at a big 'un, and too much work/not enough hunting. Not wining here as I am lucky to be alive, lucky to get a chance at a booner (mmmmissed him), and lucky to be workin' in this economy. But still I am out there trying to loose an arra, and tryin' to put this season to bed the right way.

So I hung a new stand and had some deer nearly to me when I hear something crunching in the leaves. It's too light to be a deer and I make out 3 small shapes just ahead. A momma bobcat and two near-grown tawny furballs. Momma has the typical spots and never-still buggywhip of a tail and the babies are walking hushpuppies after they have been shot in  :)  

It gets interesting when the little ones cross to my side of the creek first and momma spots me in my Lone Wolf about 15 feet off the ground. She spits and the kits scurry up the small oak right next to me. I have two crying kits a bow length away, and a VERY pissy momma cat at the base of my tree. She is growling and spitting, the kits are crying and I am sitting there with my mouth open. She finally has enough and starts up the tree after me. I talk to her in a half-panicked voice that is somewhere near puberty and an 8 year-old-girl's pitch, but with words that only a sailor would use. That is enough to send her back over the creek. She paces, growling and spitting with that long black streak of hair on her back standing at attention. I managed to hold my nocked Osprey with one hand and my camera with the other and managed to get a few pics of her before the kits bailed and they all took off like scalded cats.

Perhaps it was my language, perhaps it was the ultimate predator look up in the tree (Osprey longbow at the ready, Kuiu-donned frame, war-paint on, ready to kill) or perhaps it was the high-pitched scream-squeal from all of the above. Anyway she left me, took her kits and skinned out. I have been around these cats all my life and never have had one try and get me. It is funny now but let me tell you, there was nothing I could have done if she wanted to chew on me for messin' with her babies. It is not legal here to shoot them, and I doubt if I would with those little ones so near. I most likely would have taken my arse whoopin' like the man that I am   :archer:
Mike Davenport

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Itty bitty kitty wanted to eat me...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
I think the high pitched squeeling might have made her think you were dinner, a big dinner  :)  Good luck with the rest of the season, you deserve some good luck Bud!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Brian CS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
Nice, thanks for shareing. Seeing a cat is always a treat.
"Back to the basics"

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
Great pix & story. Not big but can inflict some damage protecting the cubs. Pretty exciting!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
Maybe she's eaten Sasquatch before and has developed a taste for it...lol

I don't much care for it when a squirrel gets real close to me so I can imagine what that kitty with a double handful of switchblades would make run through a man's mind and... as you said... down your leg...lol

Thanks for sharing.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
kool pic, saw My first wild one a few weeks ago not to far from My home.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
thats pretty cool, thanks for sharing and good luck

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »
Great story.

Is that cat wearing ASAT?

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
Neat story. First time I've heard of one showing aggression.

Online lunatic11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
Wow ! What a unique experience !!!

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
thats pretty cool,,,,,in 35yrs of hunting I still have not seen a Bobcat in person.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
Unreal!

You would have done what was necessary.

True story here in Central NC. A while back a guy got attacked by a rabid bobcat. The man choked it to death. Now I don't think I could have done that!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
See its the hunt not the kill. Great adventure you had,glad she didnt eat you.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
Thanks guys. Glad you enjoyed the ditty. I have seen more and more here in IL. I had a big tom under my tree last year stalking a rabbit I had shot at from the tree. He sniffed my arra and was very interested in it. Watching him move and sneak was awesome. He even sprayed a nearby bush to mark his spot. He could have done some real damage I tell ya   :campfire:
Mike Davenport

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
thats one you won't forget huh! i just seen my first ones in the woods yesterday morning, thery'r were three of them too. beutiful critters.  the ultimate trophy i think.  :thumbsup:

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Guy on our lease had one run through the oak he was hunting. It was chasing a squirrel   :eek:    :eek:

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  Great story thanks for sharing it! Good luck with the rest of yours season
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
Pretty cool Mike, it's such a treat to see them and get the chance to watch them do there thing but this one was a little to close.

Great picks my friend looks like a nice cat.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
Cool story Mike, thanks for sharing it with us! I hope your season ends on a positive note!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
I would have had to change my drawers too! What a cool experience.
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©