3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Bows  (Read 511 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Bows
« on: January 05, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
Any of you fellers or Ladies hunt with Bear bows? Grizzley or Kodiak one piece bows in particular? For some reason I have a hankering to hunt some with one of Mr. Freds Bows.I may look in to getting a used 1 pc Kodiak so what do you folks think about the "new" ones compared to the "old" ones and other than the classifieds for a used one where is the best/cheapest place to get a new one? Thanks and post up some pics if you got them of some Bear bows and maybe dead critters too.RC

Offline michigan bill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Bows
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
I bought a 1964 Kodiak a couple years ago and in a moment of insanity traded it to a buddy for a fancy much newer longbow.  What a mistake.  
You'll see Kodiaks for sale here on Tradgang and on the "auction web site."
I think any Kodiak is worth owning.  I even like the new ones.
But I'm not so crazy about the Grizzleys - they just don't shoot very well for me (possibly due to a 25" draw length).
Bill
I'm just happy to be here!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
Lots of Bear shooters around RC.  Check out the History/Collecting forums for all kinds of info.  There is a thread there about who is hunting with old equipement and there are a bunch of pictures of different ones.  

The new ones are pretty nice, but personally I like the old ones.  Not speed burners, but there are some really good shooting old Bear bows.  Kodiak, Super Kodiak, and Grizzlys all have their fans.

Here is a NM mule deer I took last January with a '68 Super Kodiak.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
LOVE old bears. Currently have over 25 Bear recurves from 1957-1976.
New ones (after the move from Michigan to Florida) are NOT worth your time.

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 02:01:00 AM »
Get a kodiak hunter.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 02:45:00 AM »
RC,
All I hunt with are Bear Bows. They have always worked best for me. Sure, I have experimented with a couple of other bows - hybrid longbows, and various other brands of recurves - but I keep coming back. My favorites for many years now are all Bear Takedowns.

I have a couple of Bear one-piece bows that I could part with - a Grizzly and a Kodiak Hunter. Most Bear shooters have a bow or two that they don't currently use, so finding one that you like for a good price will be pretty easy.

Once you get hooked on Bear bows, you will be happy with them.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 05:43:00 AM »
Robert,I have many different bows with some top of the line customs,but I enjoy my old Bear a lot and not much less performing,for sure smooth and forgiving.I can say my preference is on the Grayling Super Kodiaks and TDs,but the 59-62 Kodiaks are incredible bows as well.
As a well experienced bowhunter you are look for one of the top of the line,not for less.Collectioning is another story!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 05:51:00 AM »
I have a seventy one grizzly that I would not trade love or money for.  I shoot it better than every bow I own except for one.  They are very nice bows, quiet and lethal.

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 06:10:00 AM »
PM'd Ya
A world of opportunities awaits upwind but nothing waits downwind.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »
I have shot a ton of game with my 72 Grizzly.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »
I've been hunting the late season with my Granddad's 62 Kodiak and had a great time with. I have no doubt it will up to the challenge if I can get a shop.

I decided I wanted a green Kodiak Hunter and posted an ad in the classifieds here. I had a deal on one in a couple of hours. They are still around.

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
In my honest opinion, the best bows made.  Regardless of where they are made.  And the new one's are very much worth your time.  I agree with the fellow above, If you find one you had better get the Kodiak Hunter.  The best kept secret in older Bear bows.

Buy the old one's get no warranty. Buy a new one and get a warranty.  Kinda easy for me if I was trying to decide on a model that was being made now and then.  Buying an older one, get the KODIAK HUNTER no doubt.

Good day and God BLess
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
I once owned a 1973, 60" one piece Bear Super Kodiak recurve. I liked hunting with this bow, but my 30" draw length didn't like this bow. It gave me a case of "finger pinch".

However, the bow's grip felt nice to me and the bow was fast and quiet. If it wouldn't be for my draw length, I would have kept this bow instead of me selling it back in 1980.

I shot one of my friend's 2006 model year 60" one piece Bear Super Kodiak and the first thing I noticed with the first shot was the grip. My hand didn't like the feel of this grip. It had a bulkier feel to it than my 1973 SK. It also started to hurt my hand after about 20 shots whereas my old 1973 SK didn't hurt my hand.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
I love my old Grizzly, but have been thinking about a Kodiak lately.  I hope I'm not hijacking your thread RC by asking this here.  Can anyone tell me the differences between the Kodiak Hunter and the Super Kodiak?  My draw is about 28".

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
RM81- Many differences. The big differences that matter to most are the grips are different and that Bear no longer makes the Kodiak Hunter. When bear first made the KH it had a high wrist grip that many found to be uncomfortable. Bear lowered it some in later years. Some say the SK is smoother, I don't know i've never shot one but The kodiak hunter is one of the smoothest bows I've ever shot and you can pick one up in semi decent shape for $50-100 (futurewood) compared to at least double or triple that for a SK.

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
tuscarawsbowman said it right.  The Hunter is basically an over sized Kodiak Magnum at 60" AMO, the same as alot of SK's.  I have heard the same about the SK being smoother but after shooting both I can say that it ain't so.  Both are fantastic and both are butter smooth.  I just like the feel of the hunter better, less bulk and a real good pointer, not to mention a launch pad.  It sure does throw arrows down range with authority.  And the $ differnce is astounding, because the collectors do not seem to want them.

At that 28 inch draw both will shine and both are real good choices.  I quess the rest is which one you prefer once you try them.  The older bears do have a slimmer grip which I do like better but, a dremel and sandpaper will narrow down that grip area of the newer bows real quick and easy.

You put your hands on one of those older KH's and you will see what I am talking about.  If Bear would bring them back they would outsell every bow they currently make.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
I believe I heard that when Bear made the move to Gainsville that the kodiak Hunter form was either broken or left behind. Also those hunters are absolutely bombproof. BUT as always try many and buy which one YOU like best.

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
I am currently hunting with a mid 70's Kodiak Hunter that I have lowered and radiused the shelf on. I just love the look of the green glassed Kodiaks. I have bought a couple in excellent condition off of a popular internet site for less than $150.00 each. IMO these are the best value in an older Bear bow. Mine shoot like a dream!
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »
I shot a lot of game with my old Kodiak and was the only bow I owned for a good many years. I have a 1954 Grizzly static recurve that I might hunt with next year. They both shoot like new bows.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
I have shot a lot of teh older bear bows and none of the newer.

My 58, 69 and 71 Grizzlies, 67 Kodiak Hunter and 74 SK all perform incredibly.

I was also happy with the Bear Ranger and Tiger cat bows. even though they are not "top of the line" the arrow always went where I wanted it to.

I picked up a zebra wood Tiger cat last night. After I clean it up, I will see how that one works.

Enjoy RC. I know the critters in the swamp are trembling. And they should by all rights. Good luck to them  :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©