3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Bows  (Read 512 times)

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Bows
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
I only shot one older takedown that was too heavy for me so cannot really draw a fair comparison between new and old. That said though, I really enjoy my (new to me) 2011 Super Grizzly. It shoots as well as any other bow I have owned or shot and is really a quiet and handsome recurve compared to many others.

I hunt hard with them anyway so looks are fleeting. I admit to some personal satisfaction though in finally owning and hunting with a Bear bow. The critter shown is a Maryland Sika deer hind (female).

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
RC, I know what you are saying.   I also would like to try a SK.   I own quite a few bows, but lately have been drawn to one of Fred's bows.
Mel Riley

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
If you guys think a Kodiak Hunter draws smooth, please do yourself a favor and shoot a classic 1959-1964 Kodiak.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
I have nothing against the new ones. its just that there are so many bargains to be found with the old ones. I bought my early 70's Kodiak Magnum at a yard sale for $25. It was in near perfect condition with what appears to be the origainal string. I love this bow. There are also great deals in the classified section here. The trick to finding them locally is to scout out garage sales and estate sales in older or rural areas. Dont waste your time going to sales in swin/tennis developments. All you will find there is obsolete compounds.

May God Bless

Buck

Offline Shoregobbler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
My favorite old Grizzlies are the factory camo models. I have two in each of the different patterns. They just look like a great hunting bow and are awesome shooters.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
RC, I had a Kodiak Mag at one time. I'd stick with the longer ones if I were you.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline GreenGrizz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
I've got seven of them, five vintage and two current production. The biggest problem with Bear bows (at least for me) is deciding which one I like best.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
Don't know about the newer ones but this 1966 Grizzly fits me like a glove and puts the arrow where ever I'm looking. Now if I could figure out the date on the camera lol.

" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
I hunted with the new Ausable longbow this year, although no shots at game as of yet, in the yard I am extremely happy with the purchase.
...Mark

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
Hope to find a factory camo 66 one day.

" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Wapiti!, that is beaut of a bow and a heck of a nice buck!
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
Grizzly - "the working man's bow"
Gets it done.  There are GREAT shooting Grizzly years.

I am hunting a 1962 with skins, but I also reallly enjoy my 1967, 1959, and 1963.  Frankly the homely 1963 probably shoots the hardest and fastest for the weight.

As you can see on this thread, there are many great Bear bows, and lots of completely valid opinions.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
Thanks AWP the bow was given to me by a family member that knew I bowhunted.It was pretty rough but I refinished it and now it looks better than new to me. To top it off it's a 1966 the year I was born.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
Kodiaks for me.

Offline instinctivebowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
RC, I had a Kodiak Mag at one time. I'd stick with the longer ones if I were you.

i have that same bow as in this picture, 52" 45lb.  you would have to pry it out of my dead hands, i absolutely love this bow. I dont always hunt with it , i have a black widow, custom longbows, bighorn etc. but anytime im in a ground blind that little bear is coming with me, and i hit 3d shoots with it too.

Offline instinctivebowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
nice pic by the way kentuckytj

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
I just got a Supermag 48 from Big Jim's clearance sale at a steal. The bow is nice but a tad short for my draw. I can feel the stack at my anchor, but just barely.

I own mid 70's Super Grizzly in 50# lefty vintage. Like Jeremy said above, you'll have to pry it out of my dead hands to get it. It's a beater woods huntin' bow and has never failed me. I have failed it several times.

The new SuperMag 48 does not have the quality of finish of the older Bear, but the manufacture craftsmanship looks quality (shelf cut, limb tips, laminations, riser, grip). I have only shot a few arrows out of it. I bought it for a pop up ground blind bow. Jury is still out on it for a solid opinion.

I have never shot a Kodiak. Maybe one day.

Search craig's list, e baye, local trade shoots, etc. My daughter bought her boyfriend a Grizzly 58" 45 @ 28 RH for Christmas. Grayling version, Like new cond for $100 off a craig's list find. Well worth a $100 investment even without warranty.

I'm leaving here in a few to go shoot with him.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©