3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Non- camo hunting clothes, what do you use?  (Read 425 times)

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Non- camo hunting clothes, what do you use?
« on: January 06, 2012, 02:49:00 AM »
The more and more i am getting into trad and away from gadgets and gimicks and fancy "hunting" items that to me is taking away from actually hunting i am also wanting to get away from all the Camo everything used today. I sold my rangefinder and several other gadgets, and i am thinking about selling my camo and getting regular hunting clothes. What do y'all use? I am thinking about wool clothes etc. I know there are a lot of shirts and coats out there, but i keep coming to a dead end as far as pants. I was looking at Filson oil finish double tin pants, possibly carhartt pants etc. whay do you guys use and id love to see pics in your hunting garbs  :)

thanks
Fin
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline 14mpg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Non- camo hunting clothes, what do you use?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 04:00:00 AM »
I just wear jeans... flannel lined when its cold.
Grit + Grain Flooring
Eugene, Or

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 04:32:00 AM »
Get on the famous auction site. I have bought two Pendeton wool shirts there New for $35 a piece.
High on Archery.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
I wear wool head to toe when it's cold out. Lighter weight wool when it's cool out. Spring turkey I wear a bush in the bag.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 07:10:00 AM »
When I go to the ranch in nebraska for hunting Muleys I wear wrangler khaki pants and sometimes a khaki shirt too. You will disappear in a corn field.

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 07:28:00 AM »
Asbell wool on top. Sometimes jeans, sometimes Codet wool pants, sometimes green army BDU pants and often camo still for me.

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 08:03:00 AM »
The oil finish double tin pants are best suited for hunting through thick brush where it doesn't matter if you make noise. They last FOREVER but they are stiff when you first get them and not the quitest pants in the world even when they have been broke in. Hope this helps.

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
I used to wear all my old Army and Marine camo, but pretty much not anymore. Over the past couple years I have acquired lots of wool and it really seems to work better, in addition to keeping me warm.

In the early season I'll wear old cammy pants maybe or just jeans.

The wool just seems to absorb light, the same way a deer's fur does, and I've had them look right through me as if I wasn't there....wearing plaid wool.

You can find the wool pants on various auction sites or surplus stores. Look for M1951 wool pants, and get a size bigger than you normally wear so you can put your long johns on underneath. You can also find the european heavy wool military pants too, just be careful cause their sizes seem to run small.

PM me with your size...I might be able to help you out with some wool....

Russ

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
I like European military surplus pants which always have a neutral gray color.

I snagged this picture off the auction site of the last pants I bought, not me in the picture for sure. I picked up four pairs of these pants for $28 from the Sportsman's Guide. They are no longer available from the Sportsman's Guide but the auction site has a bunch of them for around $20 a pair. As stated before be cautious of the size, smalls and mediums are a dime a dozen but sizes to fit us "mature" guys are a little harder to locate.

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
I wear a lot of filson clothes for rabbit hunting and dog training but would not dream of wearing it deer hunting.  One they are very noisy, two they are not easy to move in, even when it is warm out.  I can put my tin cloth pants in a corner and they will stand by themselves and thats no joke. And three because of the oil finish they have a strong odor.  And not just cause I am wearing them! lol.  I would look into some wool or wool blend pants.  Those should fill the bill for you.  There is a lot of military surplus wool out there from the swiss army and others that is very inexpensive.  Good luck in your quest.

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
Filson makes some of the best wool, Asbell pullovers, Classic Sportsman, Predator wool, all kinds of great wool out there. I do not think you can beat wool. JMHO...

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
I've been wearing Duckie canvas work pants for hunting and they wear like iron. Can get a new pair for under $20. I also wear a lot of polar fleese in olive and dark brown in the early season. If you can get a turkey in close with your hunting clothes than your doing something right. Kind of strayed away from camo but still have a bunch to wear out.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
I love my grey long hunter shirt from Ron LaClair's shop.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
Wool top to sox
Swanndri in green and a royal Marine cammo model swanndri
Mil surplus pants
Wool sox
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
No offense, but if your current hunting clothing is working fine for you now, why don't you just keep it and replace it with wool as needed?  Just because you go trad doesn't mean that you automatically have to go to plaid wool clothing or something?  Just my opinion.  Wool is certainly great, but I would just get it as needed when replacing my current hunting clothing.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
I generally wear gray or tan wrangler carpenter pants and a plaid wool shirt/ or jacket on top.
When it's warmer, a light weight cotton flannel shirt in any plaid.
I've had turkeys and deer look right through me many times with that set-up.I shot an Osceola jake this fall with the above combination still-hunting(w/blkpdr).
Most modern "blob camo" fabric is shiny.
I found a cotton waterfowl camo shirt recently that I like(circa 1980's).
Wool and cotton absorb light rather than reflect it like a lot of modern fabrics.

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
German army surplus wool paints and swiss wool sweaters - cheap and can't be beat.
TommyBoy

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by sam barrett:
No offense, but if your current hunting clothing is working fine for you now, why don't you just keep it and replace it with wool as needed?  Just because you go trad doesn't mean that you automatically have to go to plaid wool clothing or something?  Just my opinion.  Wool is certainly great, but I would just get it as needed when replacing my current hunting clothing.

That's what I do. Most of my upper stuff is plaid, but I do break out the Cabela's Wooltimate stuff if it's cold and windy. I've still got a couple pair of camo bibs that are in pretty decent shape, so I'm not ready to scrap them just for the sake of wearing non-camo. I love bibs because the keep the wind from howling up my back. I do have an old pair of brown and black sort of camo wool bibs, but they don't have zippers down the legs, so my boots have to come off to get them on. Otherwise I'd probably wear them more.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline anw0625

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »
I am too getting away from camo clothes and looking into great clothes for hiking b/c most of my hunting is walking through the woods.  I like sherpa adventure gear.
Stalker Coyote LongBow
Habu DeathAdder
German Kinetics "German Made"
Black Eagle Rampage

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
"mature"........I like that. Seems like I get more mature every year........

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©