3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why are Trad Guys so hostile to other bows?  (Read 1832 times)

Offline Buxndiverdux

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why are Trad Guys so hostile to other bows?
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
I didn't want to imply that this "forum" was hostile to other bows. I understand that it is a Trad specific site and I like that about it. So sorry if it came across that way. I'm glad to see all the positive and reasonable responses.
Anneewakee Addiction Longbow
56" 57# @ 28"

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
I got no beef. to each his own. but a crossbow aint no bow.

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
i have no animosity towards compounds or rifles for that matter (i still rifle hunt). As long as its ethical and legal hunting (no they are not one in the same). That said i do not hunt with or own a compound anymore because it is always about the gadgets and the speed and making it easier to kill animals with less effort, and to me that is not what bowhunting is about. I know several guys who routinely shoot at 100 yards with their compounds, even at animals, and that is basically like shooting a 30-30. To me that is not bowhunting.

as far as crossbows, i do not think they should be allowed in a bow season by anyone that is not disabled. they are essentially a rifle that shoots a bolt.....just aim and pull the trigger (if you dont believe this, watch the many shows on TV where a new kid is handed a crossbow they have never shot before and they shoot a deer with no issues, could they do that with a recurve?)

That said, they are not for me, but if used ethically and legally then i dont care if others use them.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
I don't shoot longbows because of any other reason than I am better with them.  I do have a problem with some of the attitudes from modern hunters.  I think the set-up style hunts that they see on TV has something to do with it. I see land hoarding by the use of multiple tree stands, six or more tree stands, as an attempt to tie up the available hunting land around here is very common.  Guys leave tree stands out year round to keep "their places" to themselves. It just seems like the compound  and the growing number of "my shoulder hurts I need a cross bow" crowd are the main instigators of land hogging.

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
Bowhunting has a certain almost mystical attraction to me. It feels good to walk in the woods with a stick bow in my hand. I've shot compounds and to me it's just not the same thing. Not inferior or better, just different. For me, hunting with a crossbow has no attraction. If others like it, for whatever reason, and it's legal, have at it.

Is a crossbow with recurve shaped limbs more traditional than a reverse draw compound crossbow? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
Bowhunting is just like fishing.

Fishermen can use a cane pole, string, hook, and a worm. Fishermen can also use the latest synthetic poles, fancy reels, artificial bait, bass boats w/fish finders. Both methods catch fish and each participant is happy while not quite understanding the other.

I use trad equipment, I hunt with fellow trad archers, I go to shoots with fellow trad archers. I shake my head and don't quite understand compounders. I guess we are both bowhunters.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
Very well done Tradgangers   :clapper:  

Great dialogue without the witch hunt.  

I was recently introduced to what was termed the "fathead club".  What might that be?  It is the primitve sector of traditional hunting.  All wood no glass, no phenalics, no epoxys, just hide glue and sinew.  Knapped heads and arrows with cut in knocks and sinew.  I think the idea is that if you harvest an animal with that kind of setup you end up with a fathead!

I'm on year two of committing to trad bows and I've just recently discovered that within our own sport there are some levels of disdain.

Great thread...

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
My Mom always told me I could "get more with sugar than I could with vinegar". I think the best way to change someone's mind would be to let them see how much fun you're having.

Trying to make someone feel inferior or less doesn't build us up- it brings us down.  I'm not a big tent guy, but I have made a lot of converts this way.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
I shot a compound for quite a few years before I switched traditional 100%, I have always had the attitude,"WE ARE ALL SPORTSMAN, AND HAVE TO STICK TOGHTER"! There are anti hunting groups that thrieve on the bickering amoungst ourselves, why let them win?
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline bpjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
"If you want to hunt in a limited weapon season you should have to make the effort to obtain the skills it takes to be proficient."

Well, no elitism here.
55# 56" Bear Black Panther
52# 66" Hoyt Gold Medalist
42# 58" Bear Kodiak Hunter
45# 62" Pearson Colt
50# 66" Root Rangemaster
45# 64" Bear Kodiak

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
My hats off to Mudd! You put into words what I have been feeling for a very long time. I grieve the loss of romance and adventure that our primitive weapon season once had.
Make a life, not a living

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
I don't hate any of the equipment I've used or use. That would cover about everything at one time or another.

Its a bad road to go down; hating or berating another person's equipment or hunting style (as long as its legal). Such distaste can easisly be misinterpreted to extend to the man behind the equipment which would be even worse.

I have no interest in many forms of hunting equipment these days but, that is a personal decision that reflects only on me.

Shoot, the only people I have a sore spot for are those who still have use for a comb....where' I'd lay that hat?

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
"Cant we all just get along" Rodney King

To each there own we dont bash we just dont shoot the same things,welike to think were special .And we are   :campfire:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Fletch2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
To each his own.Im know better or know worse

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
I hunt with what I do for me and respect others for what they choose. Some like vanilla some chocolate, its all ice cream.

Chromebuck dang did not know I was a fathead
shoot straight shoot often

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
I really don't care what others shoot. My son shoots both a compound and a recurve and we have our little discussions about the two but more in fun than anything.

I will say this though, my main concern is that whatever someone uses, they take the time to become proficient with that weapon and that they are ethical in the shots they take.
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
If you cannot stay on topic DO NOT POST.  Arguing about crossbows is irrelevant to this thread so don't please
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
Buxndiverdux,

"So what I have a hard time understanding is all the hate for the other hunting tools? We have chosen a higher level of challenge but berate others for their accomplishments with "easier" equipment. How can that be construed as anything other than jealousy?"

A name is not necessary, but where did you get this information ?

Everything I have seen from Trad shooters for the last few years has been just the opposite of what you have found.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
I apologize if I started that.

But compounds are indeed bows. The metal parts and assemblies are held in one hand and the string is held in the other, er, the contraption that holds onto the string is held in the other and muscles hold them apart. So they are my brothers or perhaps cousins, at the very least neighbors. I'm kidding. They're fine.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
I don't care what someone thinks about my tackle.
I don't care what someone thinks about their tackle.
I don't spend time thinking about others' tackle.
I do spend my time being concerned with my own tackle.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©