3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mule Deer Hunt  (Read 402 times)

Offline FEIK77

• Trad Bowhunter
Mule Deer Hunt
« on: January 06, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
I will be graduating in May 2012 and for my graduation present my dad is going to take me on an out of state hunt. For years I've dreamed of getting the opportunity to try my luck at stalking mule deer. So, I am looking for a good place to go which would be easy to get tags and licenses and also have good deer numbers. What outfitters or state parks do you guys recommend? Thanks for your time,
Garrett Feik

Offline don_h

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mule Deer Hunt
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
Eagle cap wilderness in Oregon has good mule deer hunting, and over the counter tags. I am sure there are better places, but that's my favorite.  Good luck and happy hunting.

Offline Steve B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
I can only speak for Oregon which could work for you.  I'm not sure of numbers this year.  I too am doing a big muley hunt this year and have a spring and summer scout trip planned already.  I'll know then about the numbers in my area.  

I don't know about outfitters but I'll help you any way I can with DIY.  PM me for info.

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
webster resivor in  north central kansas. not a whole bunch of public, but enough for good hunting.
Kevin Day

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
You might want to check into Alberta Canada.
Good luck.
John

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
There is plenty of hunting in CO but all deer tags are draw.  There are many areas that take no points to draw but it takes a little research to figure it all out.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
I have enjoyed the grasslands in eastern Wyoming.  Lots of public land....u can walk for miles in those prairies or climb some nice buttes too.  Not the mountains but easier walking!  Some very nice mulies out there but very few trophy calibre.  However a guy by the name of Clint from Washington shot a 30 inch 29 pt non-typical out of the same draw my party was hunting......very nice!  Can check BLM office for best numbers.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
I've lived in Oregon all my life. I apply for muley tags out of state. The numbers are not near as good as they used to be because of several factors. As mentioned Colorado would be a good choice. They know how to manage their game.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
You can try here in kansas but I think you need a few prefeance point to draw one as a outa state lisence isn't like our resadent lisence where we can hunt either with archery only tag but I have seen some record book muleis at webster and kerwin in all honest I think coarado has it to where you can put in for a draw unit then put ur second choice as a garantee unit then you get a tag and a prefeance point at the same time good luck

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
I've hunted mule deer in many of the western states and would have to say that colorado is probably your best bet if you are going into it with no points.  They have good mule deer across the state and any unit is capable of producing B&C size deer.  Lots of spot and stalk possabilities.  I prefer the wilderness hunts to get away from other hunters.  Go high, and bring the oxygen bottle!

Offline Phil Tuccillo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 01:25:00 AM »
Western North Dakota good draw odds $215 tag and a million acres of national grasslands.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 01:58:00 AM »
Lots of State and Federal timber land and 1000's of acres of BLM sage land available in Eastern Wa. along with over the counter tags... another option for you and your dad to consider.

BYW,      :scared:  

Gene       :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 02:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by Phil Tuccillo:
Western North Dakota good draw odds $215 tag and a million acres of national grasslands.
That's a nice tidbit for me come 2013

Offline Phil Tuccillo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
Also in North Dakota the season starts begining of sept and goes to jan. 8 for archery.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
North Dakota cutting out of state mulie licenses nearly in half for 2012.

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
You'll want to stay away from North Dakota for a few years.  I have been researching this state hard, was going to do an out of state hunt there.  Unfortunately, they've lost between 60-80 percent of the deer herd because of EHD and severe winter die off.  I even had an outfitter from the area tell me not to consider coming out for a few years.  I'd look elsewhere.

Offline Phil Tuccillo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
Have not heard anything about ND cutting back nr licenses in 2012 but not surprising the deer have had 2 hard winters in a row and some ehd problems. But I live 30 minutes from the ND. border and can assure you there are still some great muley hunting oppurtunities in western ND. I was just out N. of Beach ND. today for the last day of the season and saw plenty of deer just did'nt close the deal. OH well good times anyway.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
Hey Garrett!  Mulies are a great choice.  Tom Mussatto and I had a great hunt in SW South Dakota some years back, altho I don't know if they have experienced some of the same issues as NoDak.  Colorado has some great hunting.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
The mulie population up here in Alberta is very strong. You would have to hunt with an outfitter but there are lots of good ones around. Personally I would look into the southern zones around the milk river. Amazing turf!  

Good luck.
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
Why not try and draw an Archery Tag on Arizona's Famed Kaibab.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©