3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 60 x 120 fletch  (Read 325 times)

Offline spike buck

• Trad Bowhunter
60 x 120 fletch
« on: January 08, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
When you fletch 4 fletch 60 x 120 should the large gap between the feathers be on the side of arrow against the riser or on top/bottom of the arrow on the shelf? Hope that makes sense. Any pics would be great.

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 60 x 120 fletch
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
good question!
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
When i used the 60x120 i would put the large gap against the riser but i would turn it a bit. Looking at the arrow from the back you have two feathers on top, the left feather of the two on top would be at 12:00. This worked best for me with both riser and shelf clearance.

If you use glue on nocks you can put the nock on tight with out glue, fletch your arrow then remove the nock and glue it on to what suits you.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Wtpops x2
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline spike buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »
I'm using wood arrows and can't adjust the nock. I have lw feathers and lw indexer. I want to use the 120 setting, do 2 feathers and flip arrow over to do the remaining 2. Where should the flat spot on the indexer be for the first feather?  I have a bitz. Thanks

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
I am almost 100% sure the old timers that thought this up had their nocks glued on to their arrows before they started the fletching process and started with the indexer up.  Then used as is.  Kelly or Ryan Rothhaar would know 100%...

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
I currently shoot 4" 60 x 120 with the 120 towards the riser.  I do like Steve O. mentions - glue on my nocks, then fletch.  I use the BPE Pro fletching jig and if one wants to tune the fletch orientation to the riser for clearance, the indexer can be adjusted easily, independent of the settings for the feathers.  It is a very versatile jig.
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline DuffyRP

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Bitzenburger sells an indexer called secret.  It has an "X" stamped on it and the starting position is up.
United Bowhunters of Illinois
Traditional Archery Society
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
I do mine on a Jo-Jan right wing fletch. I do cock feather then hen feather, take out arrow and rotate and do hen then cock feather.

When I shoot the arrow my cock feather is into the riser. They seem to work great for me. Hope this helps.

Offline RookieBwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
Sorry to hijack the thread but...

So if you are doing the 4 fletches, is it best to stick with the 4" parabolic for room, or will shields work as well?
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere." -Frank Clark

Voodoostik 58" 50@28"

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »
Commercially cut shields aren't cut any higher than commercially cut parabolics.  No difference.

Offline Davie C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 12:23:00 AM »
I usually put the gap against the shelf. If I understand it correctly, the arrow only oscillates side-to-side which would theoretically clear the feathers from the riser on the way by.

Offline spike buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I think I will look into getting the secret indexer.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
When I have done them this way I just think in terms of doing a six feather fletch minus the cock feather on each side. This puts the biggest gap against the riser. I have found no need to rotate the nock.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
i must be diffrent i guess..i put the gap up an down..i get much better arrow flight that way..i use 4"

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
The way we do 60/120  four fletch is with the 3 fletch indexer and only use the cock feather and one hen feather position, then turn the arrow 180 degrees put back into jig and put on another hen feather and cock feather. My nocks are always glued on before fletching.

If you are right handed one will want to rotate the indexer counter clockwise to that first hen feather position. If LH rotate it clockwise.

If using the JoJan fletchers just put on the cock feather, then turn indexer counter clockwise(see note above) to hen position-put on feather. Then pull arrow out of jig, turn 180 degrees and insert back into jig-put on another hen feather. Then turn indexer back to cock feather position for last fletch.

Now if one is using a Bitzenburger or similar type fletcher where the clamps are held in place with magnets one has to do this slightly different. Insert shaft into indexer in cock feather position-then turn indexer couterclockwise(see note above) to the hen feather position. Put on feather-then take arrow out and rotate 180 degrees and put back in indexer-put on second hen feather. Then turn indexer back to cock feather position-put on feather. Take arrow out turn 180 degrees-put back in and put on last feather. Reason for doing it this way is for clearance when fletching. With Bitzenburger fletchers if you put on the cock feather first when it comes time to put on the coreesponding hen feather the previous cock feather will be underneath the magnets and wants to distort the alignment. Believe me the first time you do it you'll be cussing.

Here is what 4-90's looks like on the string.

And here is what 60/120 looks like on the string.

The real advantage to this alignment, and cock feather in, is to eliminate the hen feather in the 4:00 position which always strikes ones shelf and causes there to be a higher nock point than necessary. With cock feather in 3 fletch and 60/120 4 fletch(which is really a cock feather in 4 fletch) there are no 4:00 hen feathers hitting the shelf thus eliminating the needed higher nocking point.

By utilizing the effectiveness to of cock feather in 3 fletch and/or cock featehr in 60/120 four fletch to its fullest when one can lower there nock point. In my case I was able to lower mine almost 3/8".
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline spike buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
Kelly,  thanks for the pics and tips for different jigs. Very good info.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
THANKS Kelly!     :wavey:    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:

Can't get better info than from THE source!

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
Cool info, I remember seeing that on your website a few years ago.  Kelly, thanks for the info.
Longbows & Short Shots

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©