3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ALASKA HUNTERS  (Read 269 times)

Offline 1hornhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
ALASKA HUNTERS
« on: January 08, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
Not sure if this is the proper place to post this.  I am trying to plan a DIY hunt for caribou in the middle of August.  This will be the first time to Alaska.  My brother will be returning from the "big sandbox" and will be just the two of us.  At this time the plan is to go up the Dalton HWY and begin north of Atigan Pass.  Not sure of a good area or where to start.  I have already questioned the biologist and other Fish and Game personnel and have received some info. Looking for good hunting advice. Any input is appreciated.  Thks in advance 1hornhunter.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ALASKA HUNTERS
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
Don't get suckered into driving the road for your hunting; hike in a mile or 2 or more and make camp.  It'll be a lot more enjoyable, the animals will be less likely to be spooked, and it'll be way less likely that other hunters will be around to mess up your stalks.

Do a lot of stumping (clumping really, there won't be any stumps) early on, it is so open that distance can be especially deceiving.

Get yourself in great shape.  Depending on where exactly you end up, the hiking is pretty easy for Alaska, but when the caribou are around you may make 3-4-5 or more stalks a day and it gets pretty tiring.

If you've hit it pretty hard for a number of days and there's nothing down and you're feeling tired, stinky, and discouraged, consider taking part of a day and driving into Deadhorse (Prudhoe Bay where the oil comes from) to take a shower, get a meal, gas-up, etc.  To recharge.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 05:07:00 AM »
The Haul Rd. (Dalton Hwy) gets a lot of traffic and hunters these days.  Chinook907 is spot on.  You'll need to get away from the road to have much worthwhile hunting.

Be sure to bring a fishing pole.  The graying fishing I enjoyed up there was the best I've ever had, not to mention lots of ptarmigan and ground squirrels for small game hunting opportunities.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline plentycoupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 06:15:00 AM »
I hope you and your brother have a great hunt!

As the others have said, get off of the road to hunt.

I have filmed some people doing pretty stupid, let alone illegal, things up there. I tried to hunt the road once and realized it just isn't worth it. It is kinda like combat fishing for kings on Montana creek. Tons of people and it seems as if no one cares about the other hunters. I literally watched a hunter make a great stalk, just to be bummed at the last minute as three others jumped out of a truck and ran at the bou from the roadside!

Anyway. I would start walking in where and when I saw caribou.

Good gear is essential.

ptarmigan can be very fun then so bring a few judos and some spices to cook them with.

It is male only at that time so make sure as the females have antlers too.

Caribou are easy to kill.

Dont forget to stop at Coldfoot, the chow is awesome!!

PM me if you have more questions.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
I've spent a fair amount of time keeping up with nonresident hunting opportunities in Alaska. Here's a few things to digest:

Alaskans are hunters by and large. The roads through good caribou country are not many, and they get hunted steadily, if not heavily. The haul road is a destination for bowhunters mostly, due to the restrictions on firearms. That said, there seems to be doggoned few nice bulls taken by nonresident haul road hunters. Competition is always steady, and guys do talk when they see caribou...which brings hunters up in droves. To sum it up, I think the haul road is a bit of a fantasy for most. The reality hits when you see the numbers of hunter's vehicles, semi-tractors, and just joy-riders pounding around. I just don't think the average nonresident is going to drive to Alaska, drive to a hunting area, and experience the Alaska which resides in his mind. Many have had a rather rude awakening.

Getting TO the game is the name of the game in the far north.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
You can check out the alaska outdoors forum. Do a search on the haul road and you will find all kinds of correspondence on the subject.
 http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
I too am planning Alaska someday and will likely do the Haul road as my first adventure to get my feet wet so to speak. Thanks for all the great information folks.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 01:35:00 AM »
I highly recommend you avoid the haul road.  It is a really poor excuse for an Alaskan experience and a cesspool of bad sportmanship.  In many areas 5 miles won't get you out of eye shot, two rarely will.  I feel dirty just TALKING about hunting on the haul road.

Offline flinter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 02:18:00 AM »
I recomend you hire an air service to fly you in for a drop camp. They know where the caribou are and will put you right in front of a migrating herd. When we did this, we were the second camp on a herd of about 2500-3000 animals. They came by us for about 6-7 days. The air service will be one of your biggest costs imo worth it. We were 200 miles from nearest road. We hunted the Mulchatna river herd. A trip I will never forget.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
Like most places in America, if a road exists then hunters will drive to the very end of it. Then they'll drive a truck off-road as far as possible to save walking. Then they'll unload an ATV and ride it as far as possible...to save walking. I've seen pictures and video of atv posses working as a group to get in as far as possible. 4 or 5 machines with chains, winches, tow straps, trailers...everything needed to keep chugging deep into the bush.

It's getting really hard to find wilderness in Alaska, unless you'll fly or boat extremely far. Even then, guys will boat over 100 miles to find game. Jet boats are commonly used to run up the medium-size rivers as far as possible into the hills. Hunting in Alaska is 100% as competitive as in...say...Idaho. The haul road is the hunter's equivalent of I-70 through Colorado.

Offline plentycoupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 11:14:00 AM »
Another thought. As those above have stated, do a fly in.
Make this trip an amazing one. Call 70 North or someone out of Happy Valley and fly in that way.
For what it costs you will have such a better experience. The true Alaska experience. Deep in the remote bush where you probably wont even see another person.
Make is an experience you will cherish forever, not a memory of how some jack@$$ drove up, dived out of his truck and scared off the bou you put a stock on.
Even if you don't fly though the Haul Road can and is a great experience. Just get OFF the road.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
I grew up in Alaska and have hunted the haul road, too.  The nay-sayers are right... it's not always a very romantic traditional hunting experience.  What makes Alaska interesting is that so little of it accessible by road.  Game densities are low, and you have to get away from the roads in order to find game.  It is interesting how much more road kill I see in the Lower 48 compared to Alaska, which highlights the difference in how much game is close to the road systems.  (In the Lower 48 there are a lot more roads and a lot more game, and they overlap more often!)

The way to access good hunting territory in Alaska is by airboat, riverboat, raft, snowmachine, ATV, plane, or by walking a long ways.  And in AK, the walking (in tundra) can be absolutely miserable.  I've walked 10 miles in tundra with a 70-pound pack on my back, and didn't enjoy it much...!  I would not want to hike 3, 4, or 5 12-20 mile round trips in tundra, with caribou or moose quarters on my back.  

The locals usually have little "honey holes" that they know of where game is available in more accessible areas.  But they aren't going to tell you about them, by and large.  If things are the same as they used to be, Alaskan locals get a bit peeved at the Lower 48ers that come up to hunt, comparing them to the hunters that are on TV hunting shows.  Often you can read the comments in on-line newspaper articles and you'll get an idea how the locals feel.  

Hunting Alaska is really an experience.  But a lot of people over-romanticize it, and it can either ruin their hunt, or get them into trouble.  Often, to have a successful hunt (depending somewhat on the species), you've got to court danger by getting a long ways from civilization.  In the past, I've seen comments --- on this site -- by people that make me worried that they're not being realistic, and might end up lost, hurt, or dead.  

I wish I were planning a hunt up there again.  Go for it!  Have a good time!  You might be one of the ones who makes it look easy!  But be prepared for what you're actually going to find when you get there.

Here's an article (which I can no longer find a link to, as it's too old) that shows somebody's solution to the dilemma they found themselves in after shooting caribou a looooooooong ways from the haul road:

---------
Tundra trucks stuck no more

By Tim Mowry
Staff Writer
Published April 5, 2007

The stuck trucks are free, but the bill associated with getting them out won’t be.

The Anchorage hunters who got two pickup trucks stuck in the tundra off the Dalton Highway about 350 miles north of Fairbanks while trying to retrieve caribou they shot in September finally succeeded in getting the vehicles out, according to officials with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.

“I’m so glad those trucks are out,” said Shelly Jacobson, field manager for BLM’s central Yukon field office who has been overseeing efforts to remove the trucks. “It’s been such a spectacle.”
The hunters, from Elmendorf Air Force Base, tried three previous times this winter to extract the trucks. This time they used jackhammers and rotary drills powered by generators that were hauled to the site by snowmachine to dig the trucks out of the frozen tundra, Jacobson said.

The hunters stayed on site in a wall tent and had a parachute canopy covering the trucks and heaters to warm the work space, but the heaters didn’t do much to thaw the ground.

The truck closest to the highway, a Dodge Ram 1500 stuck about a half mile from the road, was removed on Saturday. The other truck, a Ford F-150 stuck about 4 1/2 miles from the road, was freed on Tuesday.

The trucks were loaded onto sleds placed under each tire and towed out to the Dalton Highway by Alyeska Pipeline Co. using a pair of Tucker Sno-Cats, said Jacobson.

The BLM asked Alyeska to tow the trucks to the road, according to Alyeska spokesman Curtis Thomas, who said Alyeska will not charge the hunters for towing the trucks out.

“It’s an act of good Samaritanism,” he said.
The trucks had been stuck since Sept. 8 when the hunters hiked five miles off the road and shot three caribou. Rather than pack the animals back to the trucks, the hunters attempted to drive the trucks to the caribou, even though they knew motorized vehicles weren’t allowed for five miles on each side of the road, an area called the Dalton Highway Corridor.

The incident garnered statewide attention, and the hunters’ ongoing efforts to remove the trucks generated spirited debate in hunting and environmental camps around the state in part because of the brashness of the stunt. The BLM received dozens of phone calls and e-mails from Alaskans offering everything from advice on how to get the trucks out to what kind of punishment the hunters should face.

The drivers of the two trucks were cited by the BLM for driving in a non-motorized area, the equivalent of a traffic fine, but the hunters face further fines and penalties, Jacobson said. The BLM will seek reimbursement for administrative costs associated with removing the trucks. Jacobson described the costs as “substantial.”  “We haven’t added them up,” she said.

The hunters may also have to pay reclamation costs if the BLM determines any work is needed to rehabilitate the disturbed ground, said Jacobson. How much damage was done to the tundra remains to be seen when the ground thaws, but Jacobson was impressed by the pictures she saw during and after the operation.

“They were pretty surgical,” she said. “It looks pretty good.”

The hunters used jackhammers to cut into the frozen tundra and then cut their way to the frame and axles, shoveling the frozen dirt away as they went. Once they got the trucks free, sleds were put under each tire and the trucks were towed out. The hunters shoveled the dirt back into the depressions they had cut when they were done.

“We’re going to take a look at it this summer after everything thaws out,” Jacobson said.
The only sign of the trucks being towed out were toboggan sled marks in the snow, she said.
“The towing out went slick,” said Jacobson, who called Alyeska’s assistance “very nice.”

Steve Houghton, maintenance manager at the University of Alaska Fairbanks’ nearby Toolik Field Station, was on hand to witness part of the extraction process. He called the removal of the trucks “a success story.”

Houghton said he was glad to help the hunters get the trucks out.

“These guys are willing to put their butts on the line for us, it’s the least we can do,” he said, referring to their military status. “They paid their sentence and it was time to get them out, whatever it took.”

BLM employees were on hand to monitor the removal. Based on what they saw, it didn’t appear either truck leaked any oil, transmission fluid or gasoline on the tundra, Jacobson said.
“That was a concern a lot of us had,” she said.
The BLM does plan to release the names of the offenders, Jacobson said.

“I know the perception is out there that we’re trying to protect them from public scrutiny, but that’s not the case,” she said.

Rather, the agency doesn’t want to compromise the investigation that BLM rangers have been conducting since the incident occurred back in September.

The BLM is still planning to team with UAF researchers at the Toolik Field Station to monitor the recovery of the damaged tundra, Jacobson said.
---------------
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
The haul road is just that....a road.  Punched through a beautiful part of an otherwise unaccessable part of our state.  It is what it is, good bad and ugly.  Butttttttt it is unique in so many ways.  Steve O is right about the idiots that will bust your stalks and maybe the trucks will irritate you, but if you can't find somewhere to get away from either of these problems in 300 miles of road, well then maybe YOU have the problem.  I hunt it every year, usually 3 to 4 weeks, depending on when I want to go and leave.  If you want a wilderness experience, stay home.  If you are willing to learn the area for yourselves you can certainly find a spot in that much real estate.  The truck drivers are actually an asset of sorts.  I know most of the guys running the road, (was one for a lot of years), and they, not all of course will tell you where they saw animals.

One main problem that people have when they come up here to hunt is they bring their deer hunter mentality with them.  You can't hunt them like an animal that you have been patterning to and from a food plot or bedding area.   These are herd animals that travel by and large in herds up to 25 miles a day.  Go to happy valley and pay 2600 bucks for a 20 minute flight and he might drop you close to a herd, and in 2 days that herd will be 50 miles away crossing the river 20 yards downstream from where your plane took off.  Small groups of bachelor bulls are much easier to hunt than a herd of 1500. If you localize your hunt to one spot and don't remain mobile to some degree you will have less chance of staying on animals.  Caribou don't care about the road.  They wander where they want when they want.  They are driven more by the bugs that bother them than they are by the road.

We always have an open camp when we are here.  Coffee is always on and we have some good get togethers with a anybody who wants to stop by.  The haul road is just that, a ROAD.  It is not the trail to Nirvana, and the happy hunting ground.  You will take away from it whatever you put into it, it's just that simple,,,,,and if you think you're gonna come up here and have to beat the animals off with a stick,,,,,,,stay at home and pay for a fence hunt.  But if the trip isn't just about killing stuff, it is and can be a unique experience.

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
No problem
Thanks
A world of opportunities awaits upwind but nothing waits downwind.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline Last of the Breed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
I hunted the haul road in 06 and got to with in 80yds of the herd, (about 500 head) and didn't see another hunter the whole trip.  So my experience was a good one, I was a resident at the time.
1 John 1:7  , and the blood
of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
I'm not sure I would even go to Alaska.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
Archi, I live in the Yukon, and stories like that, we see them every year or so... Pathetic, what the "tourists" and some locals to I should say would do to not walk more than they need!!

1horn, take the time to inform your self really well, and be prepared, as much as one can be up here, and you should have a great time!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©