3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Columbia® Gallatin Range Wool Pants?  (Read 351 times)

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
Columbia® Gallatin Range Wool Pants?
« on: January 09, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
looking for some reviews....  how well do they fit a fella with small waste and big a$$ and legs.  i like a loose straight leg cut so i can move around....
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Columbia® Gallatin Range Wool Pants?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
They run large and they are very roomy. Sounds like what you are looking for with straight legs.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
They are made from recycled wool. It isn't very dense, and the wind goes right through it. Also, recycled wool is stripped of much of its lanolin - the natural substance that coats wool fibers and adds to their water resistance.

When you consider those two things, I guess they're ok for the price, but I think you can do better. If you're going to buy wool, imo, spend a little more and buy dense, virgin wool. The difference in performance is substantial.

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
The Gallatin fabric is just OK as wool goes and the fit is generic and bulky.

I bought mine many years ago and wish I wouldn't have....
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
I purchased a pair of these a month ago. Bass Pro had them on clearance for $49 at the time. I love them if it is cold. As mentioned above they are large and roomy, VERY long in the legs. I am 6'1" and the legs were about 5" too long.

For me, my pair is very warm and I did not have any issues with wind. I hunted with them on a couple of occasions where it was cold and breezy and stayed warm as toast but I do layer and was not relying totally on the wool pants for warmth. If you can still get them at the price I paid I would say they are well worth the money. I would probably even buy a second pair at regular price if I had to.

I am sure there are better wool pants out there but you will pay at least 2, probably 3 times as much. (At the clearance price it would be 6 times as much!)

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
I also have a pair, and the jacket.. I wore them on an AK early spring black Bear hunt on the Kenai Pennisula, as well as while hunting elk here in the Pacific NW during the late season which runs until Dec 15th. At times it's been down as low as 17 deg. in past years... I had no problems and stayed warm... I'd buy another set if they came up on sale again.. I think I paid about $125-$150 about 3 years ago for the set I have.

I have only one other piece of camo wool... a LL Bean jacked which is tighter woven, but perhgaps lighter in weight... "Warmness" is about the same.

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the reviews.... they were on clearance $49.99 at BassPro this morning.  I just tried to order them a few seconds ago and they are gone.  :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
I bought some on clearance a couple of years ago. I bough them a couple of sizes big, and wear them over my regular pants. Put them on in the stand. They serve me fine.

If they don't have your size, you may consider going up a size and do as I do. As said, they do run large.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
If you are going to be near Charlotte/Concord NC you might want to call them and ask what they have in stock. They will honor the web price if they do, that is where I picked up mine.

Good luck!

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
I would second what everyone else said here.  They run a little large, wind goes through them but if you layer under them they are warm and really hard to beat for the price.
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Mine have been great and the weave tightens up after a few hand washings to help with any wind issues........its never been problem for me..........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 12:36:00 AM »
they run pretty big, I know the pants are really big had to hem my pants a couple inches and I'm 6ft. I really like them they keep me toasty warm with just a light pair of pants underneath. I just wish they wouldn't pick up burrs, I hate those things. just my 2 cents
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
Bought a pair and 2 jackets for $19 a piece at the Colombia Outlet store in Medford MN probably 15 years ago and still using them. been good for me.

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
I love mine...I have the bib overalls and the hooded jacket. Not as water proof or wind proof as higher quality stuff but I have had no issues. They are plenty for the cold days in S.C.
"Do or Do Not, There is no "Try"
Martin Savannah 45#
3PC Home Built Longbow 53# @ 28"
MAJ - SCARNG 1998 - Present

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
I know that this isn't a popular viewpoint with many, but I have found modern technology with fleece to trump wool in almost every regard.

Wool is nice, but I almost bought wool and instead opted for a pair of fleece bibs, a fleece vest, and a fleece pullover. Got them all on 70% off blowout sale at Cabelas. Normally would have been almost $600. Got for $130.

The bibs are Fleece, waterproof, breathable dry-plus, Thinsulate, Gore-tex, Scent-Lok, wind-shear, and have padding in the knees/elbows, and even a really thick butt pad for sitting on the ground.

Also, you can machine wash them and dry them in the dryer unlike wool.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline WJackson11x

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
I just won some on the internet, they are very roomy and are very long.  I think they make them that way so the individual can hem them to their specific inseam and not have to sell them in every size. They look well made but have yet to put them to the real test. look good with my vintage Woolrich plaid jacket.
Wes Jackson

Black Bear 40# @28 60"
1971 Grizzly 45# @ 28 58"

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
Well to each his own, but I have had the exact model of clothing in each garment that USN_Sam talked about and see nowhere the fleece trumphs the wool.  I will sell any of the bibs, pullover whatever to anybody that wants them and replace them with wool.

I have the Columbia monarch pass jacket and like it very well.  The key is layering under it to knock of the wind and as Gfred's site shows, there are some very affordable alternatives for the wind blocking other thanthe over priced plastic bag sounding stuff you buy from Cabelas.
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »
Never tried the pants but I have the shirt-jac and when I layer with long johns and a wool or fleece shirt it's plenty warm enough for MI or CO as long as it isn't too windy. I'd get the pants if I found a good deal on 'em...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
I have the bibs and the coat . Save your money,the cold wind blows right threw.

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
I have the bibs and the coat . Save your money,the cold wind blows right threw.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©