3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Passing by old treestands  (Read 666 times)

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
Passing by old treestands
« on: January 09, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
I am wondering how many of you pass by old treestands (usually home built with wood) and wonder about who hunted it and what they saw/harvested from it?

I have a spot back home (as I call it) on public land with an old wooden stand in a big forked Oak.  I've shot several deer out of it and had to replace pieces to keep it safe.  I haven't hunted it in 5 years, but everytime I did , I always wondered who built it and how they did from the stand.

Now, I still see them but rarely (usually never) sit in them.  I carry my own stand in and out and try to stay mobile.  But, I still wonder about those old stands and fond memories of my 'spot back home' with that old wooden stand.
>>>--------->

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Passing by old treestands
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
I often pause and reflect, too, when I encounter an old stand while out scouting a new hunting area.  And I make note of the spot and will hunt nearby the following season.  The stand is there for a reason, and the reason is that it usually is productive spot.  Sort of like having someone else helping you with scouting an area.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline mississippidave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
I found two on a new property I have permission to hunt on....Old woodies with old aluminum  extension ladders.....old school.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by ronp:
I often pause and reflect, too, when I encounter an old stand while out scouting a new hunting area.  And I make note of the spot and will hunt nearby the following season.  The stand is there for a reason, and the reason is that it usually is productive spot.  Sort of like having someone else helping you with scouting an area.
Spot on without a doubt. I have said "it's there for a reason" too many times to count.

Well put and nice thread.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
I always pause and then try to figure out if the location is still a good one or not. Many times I find myself thinking, what were they thinking when they put that there????   :confused:

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
I set up my stand once in what looked to be a good spot. After a couple hours I noticed an old board nailed to a tree about 15ft up. I sat and pondered who might have hunted there before me. The land had been in my family a long time right up until about the time I was born. Later that day I took my first trad deer in that spot. I like to think a past hunter in my family was helping me out on that one.  :)  

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
I always stop,look around to decide why here.It usually don't take long to figure out.
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
Yeah I do, but half of them are mine and I think how stupi......er brave I was 30+ years ago.  :p  

I do notice them in other sections of woods and quickly try to determine why and if it was/is a good choice.
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
An old skeleton of a wood stand helped me find one of my favorite stand locations.  If somebody else thought enough to build a stand there, it's worth investigating.  
What isn't so cool is finding old metal stand junk, rat infested chairs, a pile of old beer cans (usually with pull tabs), and other assorted junk from someone's old honey hole.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
:wavey:   me , me, me!

I often ponder those thoughts. I also look around to see why its was there because when it was built, the wood probably wasn't hauled in by 4 wheelers. Not many people would put in the effort to haul all that material in the woods on a whim.

I look to see if it was used ads a bow or gun stand. Neat to see but sometimes can be an eyesore as well when you see a lot.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
I have 1 on my property about 50 yards from my back door and have the same thoughts every time I go past it.It is on a major trail that I hunt
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
those type of stands always make me stop and look around. Just to try to see what that hunter saw.
Kevin Day

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
i do, at one time someone took the time to put it in that exact spot, cause it was good area. bad thing alot of those are broken backs waiting to happen! i like the ones that are so old only thing left up in the tree are a couple nails or a single board left, and if you wasn't watching closely you would have never know it was there.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
I always take a moment to have a look around and try to see why that stand was placed in this location... always hoping to learn from people who came before me.  I've learned a lot...
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
Yeah, I also reminisce and ironically for the past couple years or so have been taking pictures (when I have a camera on me) of these icons of the past. In my area most are dilapidated to the point there is not much left but some make unique photos.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
I hunt by spot and stalk; when I do see them they provide interesting clues about what others have seen.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
everytime I hunt and see one of the old stands, I know that if must be a good spot.  Then i do think of how it was back then and if they enjoyed it as much as me.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
I always wonder if the hunter saw anything from the stand or just put it there because he or she thought it might be a good spot. Some are just barely able to tell they were even stands now. Been there a long time.....kind'a neat to think about.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Stan the bow man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
I came across one this season did some wondering my self about the old wood platform . Hung a lock on up higher about 10' killed a cow horn spike out of it. I noticed I could hunt almost any wind direction out of that old oak tree.
Blackwidow PSAX 45@28 64” Black & White Ebony
 Blackwidow  PLX TD 64” 48@28” Black & White Ebony
  Massie 64"48@28 Longhorn Longbow      
Roland Jenkins recurve 50 @ 28”
Bear Polar LB 45 @ 28”
Bear Grizzly 55 @28
2 Osage self bows

BY THE GRACE OF GOD

Offline rbdover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
I love finding old stands and am amazed at how low they usually are. They're often located near where deer still travel and if you can't find sign promising a better place to hunt, go with what might have worked before. Climb higher to improve your chances, and use modern equipment and a good harness and life-line to improve your safety.
Aim and release as though you have but one arrow. Repeat as necessary.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©