3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How To Pay For A Hunting Trip  (Read 1189 times)

Offline flinter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How To Pay For A Hunting Trip
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 01:56:00 AM »
Years back when a coworker/hunting partner asked if I wanted to go to Alaska for moose and caribou the answer was yes. Next question was how much money? I went down to credit union and borrowed it all. I spent the next several years paying for it. I never regreted that decision. Go when you have the chance, it might not come again!!!!!

Offline Fisherking73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 03:12:00 AM »
Not have children. This has allowed/keeps allowing us to do what we want, when we want. I also have a direct deposit from my paycheck to a "hunting"savings account that takes out a c-note every paycheck. I don't touch it unless a hunt that I want to go on, or gear that is a good deal that I want pops up. But not having kids is the key thing to having lots of extra play money lol

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 03:54:00 AM »
I just gave up all of my vices and its going to turn into over 4k a year that can go else where.

I've decided I've spent long enough enjoying an un-healthy lifestyle I might try the other way for a while and enjoy a healthy life. No more booze and tobacco...

I think I'm going to get a metal detector and see how much change and gold I can find this summer.

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 06:31:00 AM »
Great responses so far - the possibilities are endless!

The main point of this thread is that I have heard people say so often "I sure wish I could afford a trip like that"  The reality is that for the most part, the people doing all the fun trips have made lifestyle choices that enable then to do the things they do.  

If you have always dreamed of an out of state trip, figure out your own formula to make it happen.  Life is short, and for the most part, hunting trips are not something to put off to do in your old age.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 06:56:00 AM »
I put back between 75 and a 100 dollars out of my retirment check each month just like a bill I am going to pay put it in a small savaing account and keeping adding to it til hunting season. I usual have enough to go to Grayling,Mi for a two week hunting including my deer tag.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 07:23:00 AM »
I quit smoking in 2005 and have not touched any cig.,dip.or cigar since.Save a ton of money and feel and smell better.Kip

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 07:28:00 AM »
Airmiles are great if you travel for work and get to keep them yourself.

Carpool with friends and family whenever possible.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
I do sme things that have already been mentioned and some that werent:

Walking, going by bycicle r havin a carpool saves alot on gas money.

Knowing how to fix things in the house and how to make some things youreself saves some too.

Because of my job and my studies i use alot of paper sheets, using them both sided helps save money (first side for official print, when print isnt needed anymore other side for notes etc.

One thing that literally puts alot of money in the garbage bag ive seen often is people not planning and utilizing their food properly. So much food gets thrown away because it was bought though it wasnt really needed or for any other reason. It is very rare that i have to throw any info food into the garbage, if you now how to cook a bit, you can utilise it.
Staying with food, most regional and seasonal fresh foods dont only taste better but are alot cheaper then convenience products wich involve less work.

This lsit could go on and on, ist all just small savings, but they add up over time…..
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
I design websites.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kip:
I quit smoking in 2005 and have not touched any cig.,dip.or cigar since.Save a ton of money and feel and smell better.Kip
2006 for me.  Way to go Kip!
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
Yeah, that smoking thing is huge for those that are smokers!  I quit so long ago I can't even remember anymore.  I did it primarily so that I could physically go on some of the hunts I wanted to do.  Not only does it allow me to still climb mountains, not smoking literally pays for the trip with the savings!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
Another is go with an antenna to watch TV instead of cable or dish. When we had cable it was hitting us for nearly $100 a month.

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
Here are some planning needs...Once you retire and go on a fixed income you have less money for the things that support a hunt. Things like a good tent, sleeping bags, cooking stuff, etc, etc.

So, before that time comes buy good stuff (as much as you can American made) and you'll limit your expenses to the costs of travel, guides, food and the like.
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
If my boss ever gives me my raise I'm going to start doing european skull mounts....

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
It's a lot easier to stay home complain about all the hunts you wish you could afford  :laughing:  

I will have to admit, starting a  saving process is hard to do.  

Once you start and make the effort, it not only becomes easy but also fun.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
Avoid debt, the less debt you have, the more disposable income you have. sounds simple but its true. Our grandparents considered debt a serious evil, but now most of us feel its just a part of life.

Avoid buying something only because its the newest latest greatest thing. A good example of this is TVs. I still have my old style 27" tube tv because it works fine and flat screen prices are coming down every day

Like alot a others have said, make your own lunch and limit trips to restaurants and coffee shops

Finally keep your eyes on the target. Tape a picture of an elk, moose or bear on your bathroom mirror so you remind yourself every morning what you are working towards.A word of warning though dont neglect the things that really matter, God, your family and your friends.
no hunt is worth that.

May God Bless
Buck

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
Overtime. I get 10 hours a month, plus i get double time and a half if i work the holidays and we get 14 holidays a year. Plus i am 100% debt free and that helps out the most.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
I have a separste savings acct in a bank that is not my regular bank (so it is more out of the way) that I put a little money in each payday. After a while, it adds up and I can go on a hunt somewhere. I started this as an acct to save for my first Africa trip and just kept doing it. It has worked well enough to send me back to Africa a second time.....and who knows where next?

Bisch

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
I rebuild a wrecked car or two in the offseason and all profits go into my hunting ministry account. It is kept completely separate from the family budget. My home church has also helped in the past because I do a camp/hunting/cowboy ministry and I schedule preaching appointments in the area that I will be hunting in. It's a great way to meet new brothers in the local church and share the gospel in a hunting camp as well.
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©