3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How To Pay For A Hunting Trip  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How To Pay For A Hunting Trip
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Onestringer:
Actually Onestringer was started to provide a little extra hunting money.
I remember that day Scott.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
Good answers.

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
I have a full time job I buy 10 cattle every year then sell them when they are prime I also run a trap line which I am due to start in two weeks all trapping money goes into my hunting fund and a very small portion of the cattle money goes in as well so thats my hunting money for the year. Hint that's why I'm trapping in two weeks.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
Tracy, can you you still make money from trapping? (sounds like it)
Use to dabble in it back in my High School days long ago with a buddy, mostly muskrat.  Back then a couple guys could hit it hard for a few weeks and get a couple hundred rats.  You could get $8 to $10 for large ones. Throw a few fox and coon in  and it was pretty good money for some kids back then. I haven't kept track of prices for over 25 years,  but I know they bottomed out to almost nothing, could hardly give them away. Are prices back to make it worth someones time with time, gas and equipment??
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
Lol I try to use my tax returns. If I get one. But my wife and I quite buying laundry soap years ago for 2bucks we make our own it has saved a lot

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
PM sent Troy  :wavey:    :D  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
I haven't used it for a hunting trip yet (catching up from some financial challenges), but I am hoping if the economy improves that the art work I do as a sideline will take off allowing us to catch up and then afford some hunting trips.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
I have a woodworking shop that was a hobby (out of control) and a full time job, Hobby pays the way
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
sold some hunting clothes, old BH's,feathers,odds n ends,etc  back in the fall that i havent worn/used in a while.. that money completely  paid for my upcoming TX trad archery turkey trip coming up in April..... i also have cut many-a-grass to help pay for many-a-thing hunting

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
Izzy has it right. Worn will suck you dry. I know. They spend and waste a lot of money. Kick em to the curb. I got divorced 6 years ago and thank god my daughter was grown . It was the best thing that ever appended to me

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
I meant women.

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
Izzy has it right. Worn will suck you dry. I know. They spend and waste a lot of money. Kick em to the curb. I got divorced 6 years ago and thank god my daughter was grown . It was the best thing that ever appended to me

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
I dont smoke, and drink only occaisionally. Dont spend money on clothes,cell phones, cable TV, satelites. We eat out rarely. Raise a big garden and put up food to eat all year. Process my own deer and any other game or fish. I raise a few chickens and sell eggs. I installed a wood boiler so now it heats my home, and hotwater, my last elec bill was $76 for all electric home. I hang laundry out vs dryer. I am the "light nazi" at my home, leave a light on and i'll get on you're ass ! I wear my work uniforms all the time, they are provided free and laundered free. When I do utilize a cell phone its a trac phone, total cost $100 a year! Right now I am without one, and enjoying it! With the exception of 3 elk hunts to CO, all my hunting is public land here in my state. I have never paid to hunt, or paid a guide. I like to camp on these trips,free of course. Most of my gear is homemade or bought discounted or millitary surplus. I could hunt just fine for the rest of my life with the gear I have, in any climate or area.I will occaisionally buy a bow and resell, but only if I can come out on top.I have an F-250 I bought new, that will be paid for in 10 more payments, I plan to drive it untill my 4 yr old grandson is 16, than give it to him, the next one will be cash,and used.  My hunting doesn't require much money. I take pride in a cheap hunt more than I would a fully guided Africa hunt, even when I dont bring home meat. Just think Like 100 years ago, Do I need anything more than what they used? Or do I jusdt want it? I would rather be sitting on a debt free farm house, and transportation than have all that junk.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
I have to trade with my wife.  Take her on a vacation, then I can do a hunting trip.  She's pretty easy going on me as far as hunting expenditures go.  But, she likes to buy herself shoes and clothes, so perhaps we are even.
>>>--------->

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
My husband is the bomb!!! He farms on the side and we finally had a decent year. He paid off all of my debt but one really major one. Now I'm free (financially) to do more bowhunting related things. It's getting him to let me go that's the thing.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
Up until last year I always bought a house, fixed it up and sold it for a profit. But that was back when Whip was a banker and money was easy to get.
I bought 2 last year cause I planned on taking some big trips but got stuck with them when the easy money dried up. Now I bank the rent and "take a salary" whenever I need it.
Start small and gradually move up. But START.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
the day I pick up my first trad bow I owned 15 rifles 20 years later I own 2.  Happy hunting....
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
Up until last year I always bought a house, fixed it up and sold it for a profit. But that was back when Whip was a banker and money was easy to get.
Yeah, the banking industry went right down the toilet the minute I got out.  
Coincidence??  :saywhat:  

Biggie's right though.  If you dream of doing hunting trips you need to start - somewhere.  Don't set the bar so high that you get discouraged and never get past the dreaming stage.  It's a matter of setting goals and then making a plan to achieve them.  

Maybe you can't realistically do Africa.  But there are lots of very inexpensive hunts that could be taken by virtually anyone who puts some effort into it as suggested with so many ideas contained right within this thread.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
I built custom cabinets. Went to Africa and Alaska. The downturn in the economy has really dried this up for me. I'm blessed to have done it while I could.

Offline charles suttles

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
The best thing I can think of to improve every TRADGANG member's chances of being able to afford a traditional bowhunting trip is to start in Nov. and put 537 new faces in Washington,DC and be sure they can add and subtract. I'm kinda like Biggie, the things that worked for me  in the 80's and 90's just won't work anymore due to being thrown back into the dark ages.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©