3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Padded loops?  (Read 293 times)

Offline paoloi

• Trad Bowhunter
Padded loops?
« on: January 09, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
I tried posting this earlier, here is my second attempt. I just got some Astro Flight, I don't know why I spent the money; I guess I am just chasing those few extra fps. My one buddy is a student of Rick Welch and he shoots them, 14 strands. This is Rick's recommendation, but he has had some problems in the past with his string grooves. My other friend, and archery mentor, thinks its not worth it and warns of the damage that it can do to bows even if they are rated for non-B50 material. Well the string is bought so I started twisting up some strings tonight and was added 8 strands to the last 8 inches that I usually start with for my loops, bring the total to 22 in the loops. My question is this, is the danger that the string is too thin or does it have to do with the lack of stretch? And if the problem is that it is too thin wouldn't padding the loops make that material work for all bows? Does putting this extra material in the loops defeat the purpose of the narrower string? And what are your feelings on Astro Flight? Someone out there must know, thanks for the help. Happy Shooting.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Padded loops?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 12:05:00 AM »
I've never used Astro Flight, but I do use D97 with padded loops. I use B50 for padding. On a 10 strand string, I add 8 strands of B50: 14", 13", 12" and 11" in each bundle for a two bundle Flemish twist string. The way I get a nice taper to the loop, which helps keep the string quiet.

You can do the same with all Astro Flight. I don't know the diameter of it, but 22 strands in the loops sounds like it should be plenty. Just make sure you are tapering your loop as you blend it into the main string.

And no, padding the loops does not hurt performance or defeat the purpose.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »
...and warns of the damage that it can do to bows even if they are rated for non-B50 material.
I've heard this many times over the years, but have yet to have any real proof presented.  If a bow is rated for FF material and fails, it seems to me the problem is with the bow.  My favorite bow for the past 15+ years has never had a dacron string on it--thousands and thousands of arrows, and it's no worse for the wear.

...is the danger that the string is too thin or does it have to do with the lack of stretch?  
Depends on who you ask--usually the reply is lack of stretch, but that's one reason you pad the loops.

And if the problem is that it is too thin wouldn't padding the loops make that material work for all bows?  
Seems to work for some folks.  I've never tried using FF on a non-FF bow.  I don't reccomend it, although I've never seen actual proof of it being detrimental.

Does putting this extra material in the loops defeat the purpose of the narrower string?
For me, the benefits of "FF" are durability and lack of stretch/creep.  Padding the loops won't hurt performance, if that is what you mean.

And what are your feelings on Astro Flight?  
Never used it, but I haven't seen a big difference in any of the FF type materials, as far as performance goes.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »
Chad. Do both of your videos demonstrate padded loop strings? Wanting to get one of them.

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
Padded to 22 seems a bit much imo.  Some bows the string would actually be hanging out of the string nocks.  I shoot and make 8 and 10 strand most and pad them to 14 with B-55. This is with ultracam which is pretty similar to astroflight.

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »
I pad my 8 strand strings to 16 which makes a nice looking string....I use the same material as the string - made one this morning D-10.

><>
Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline paoloi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
I padded my last string a D97 10 strand to 14 in the loops with D97 as the extra. If I make a string 14 strands or bigger I dont see why you would need to pad at all.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
I shoot 10 strand Ultra cam strings and pad the loops to what ever the stock string is for that bow. I see no reason to go higher than that. Have had no problems in the last 6 years of doing this.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »
14-16 strand loops, depending on the diameter of the string material, is a plenty. 22 strands... just more unneeded weight to hang out on the ends of a string, imo.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
Chad. Do both of your videos demonstrate padded loop strings? Wanting to get one of them.  
Yes, we show padded loops in both videos--in flemish strings.  We don't pad the loops in endless.  Rod did some tests--I think he used red padding in a white string with clear monofiliment serving.  After a little while, he could see where the padding all moved to the back side of the loop, where it had no effect, so...no point in it that we could see.

I generally pad my loops to 18 strands, unless otherwise requested.  Some bowyers require 20-22 strands in the loops.  

For years I would only use the same material as the string was made from to pad the loops, but after a lot of testing and talking to a few other string makers I know who had used dacron for padding, I switched.  It works just fine, and may be a little quieter.

Chad

Offline Norminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
I don't know anything about string construction. I have to rely on the info the string makers tell me. I would say though, without  any disrespect, if a persons is chasing FPS they should probably look somewhere other than trad bows.
Norm from Canuckistan

45#,50#,55#,56" Bear Grizzlies
45#,54#,52" Bear Kodiak Magnum
55#,58" Vintage Works 62 Kodiak
55#,62" Tomahawk

Offline paoloi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
When did we start letting Canadians on here? LOL

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
I think a few just politely slipped in, eh?

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Ignoring the extra speed, the skinnies are quieter. At least on my bows.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
I follow LBR's lead (he is the master!). I pad my loops with Dacron. I build a string a few weeks ago out of D10 and padeed the loops with D10 and used the same wool yarn silencers as I always do. That string made my bow considerably louder than strings with Dacron padding.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©