3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What was your craziest thing you did while trad hunting  (Read 774 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
What was your craziest thing you did while trad hunting
« on: January 10, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
I was driving and thinking of crazy things that I have done while hunting(most of mine were gun related) and how down right stupid and os dangerous(to my self) they were. And I thought that you guys must have some crazy stuff you did on hunts,so lets hear them.Tim
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What was your craziest thing you did while trad hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
I once went hunting the day after I ran a stick into my eye dragging a deer. I had a patch on that eye and the pain meds gave me diarreha. Climbed the tree 3 times.

My wife wasen't to happy when she figured out where I was. Just couldn't see wasting a day laying in bed.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
Dropped my favorite arrow off my bow. It stuck in the ground right beneath the tree stand. I used my string for pulling up my bow to make a lasso and it took me about five tries but I lassoed my arrow and brought it back up to me.

I have also done the same thing with my bow hand glove. Dropped it. Reached out and cut a v shaped dogwood branch from a nearby tree and tied it to the loop of my string for pulling up my bow.

I fished for about three minutes but hooked it and brought it up.

It would have made a good video to watch.

Hunting bloopers.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
Jumped off a 25+ foot sandy cliff to escape a bluff charge from a huge cinnamon colored black bear sow with cubs in Alberta. Came out unscathed!
David M. Conroy

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by YORNOC:
Jumped off a 25+ foot sandy cliff to escape a bluff charge from a huge cinnamon colored black bear sow with cubs in Alberta. Came out unscathed!
:biglaugh:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
This tops it for me, LOL! Mind you I was in my birthday suit while retrieving this doe. I had a LONG walk back to the car and had to make sure there were dry clothes for the drag out.

Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
Ha! Classic Arwin!
David M. Conroy

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
Like Bud B I've dropped my glove, hat, side packs and fished them up with my haul rope which has a hook on it.

Got the bow hung up in vines and could not pull it up so had to undo the climber and lower myself to untangle it.

Got the climber at a bad angle many times and had to come down to adjust and go back up again.

The biggest boner was I used a 6V lantern which I'd hang under the stand on a hook. All the deer that morning would hang up 100 yards from me and turn back. When I got down I discovered the red blinking light button had been hit and all morning I had a red blinking light under me.

This Dec I decided to bowhunt during rifle season and needed my climber instead of the box blinds and got all the way into the swamp and forgot my climber. Had to take the tractor out and get the stand and come back. Cost me a lot of time.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
Mine tend to be taking a nap on a warm rock mid day.   Some of the areas I hunt have lots of bears and cougars.  I woke up once to see a female black bear with cubs slowly climbing the steep slope I had been glassing from the top of all morning.  She bolted when I stood up to let her know I was there.  

On a hunt two years ago I passed on a cow elk with two young calves and spooked the herd trying to sneak up to the herd bull.   I worked my way up the creek about 3 miles and decide to take a quick nap after lunch.  I woke up and started back down the creek.   I found a fresh steaming  pile of wet elk poo about 30 yards from my nap spot.  They must have stood there and looked at me wondering what I was up to before crossing the creek.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Norminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
I figured I crossed a sort of milestone this year. Over the years
I have often fallen asleep in my tree stand and woke up just as I dropped my arrow to the ground. This year, I fell asleep and dropped the  bow. Another reason I now use a harness .
Norm from Canuckistan

45#,50#,55#,56" Bear Grizzlies
45#,54#,52" Bear Kodiak Magnum
55#,58" Vintage Works 62 Kodiak
55#,62" Tomahawk

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Arwin, U DA Man! I respect that you did what you needed to do to get that deer... nice job.

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
Does dumbest mean craziest?  I was hog hunting in Texas on a large ranch and my group had a largest hog prize.  As I was stalking through the Cactus, I saw a what appeared to be a black hog taking a siesta with its head under said cactus.  I got within twenty yards, had a great quartering away shot and made a great shot on a trophy Corsican Ram.  It was a true trophy and the biggest bone head thing I have done hunting to the day.  It is a beautiful trophy and much respected but I learned a very valuable lesson monetarily and ethically that day.
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline Seeza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Went into a swamp to recover a black bear I'd shot.  My buddy was up on a high bank above giving me hand signals.  With one hand he held up two fingers with the other hand five fingers.  I "assumed" he meant 25 yards and proceeded to walk right on top of the bear at 7 yards.  Two fingers plus 5 fingers equals 7 not 25  :)  Tricky thing was the bear wasn't done.  At three yards I was facing him.  He was seated in a low depression amongst thick cover.  I had an arrow nocked hoping he would lift his chin for the only possible finishing shot at that angle.  All I saw was claw and paw swat the brush down in front of him.  I drew and put a cedar shaft into his cheek.  He ran by me at two yards to my left, blood from the original chest shot marked the birch trees on both sides of him as he ran between them.  I turned in the heat of the moment and took chase on foot.  After about 5 steps my senses kicked in to what I was doing and I stopped.  The bear died on his feet running only about 25 yards.  Several morals to this story.  One, give them at least an hour.  Two, youth and adrenaline can get you killed.  Three, one of the most exciting hunts I've had.  The bear hide, complete with 2 blade cut in the cheek, now covers my sons bed at the cottage.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Guys if I told you how dumb I was you really would not allow me on this site anylonger...

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
My buddy and I were running late for a late afternoon / evening elk hunt...bailed out of the truck and hiked a couple miles up a steep hill to get set up on the edge of a high meadow...elk bugling all around us...it was GREAT except my quiver full of arrows was still in the back of the truck...early dementia ; I guess...by the way my buddies arrows were about three inches too short...not that funny at the time ! and the dumb *** award goes to....

Offline Turkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
I once went turkey hunting with a friend the day after I got out of the hospital. I had been in the hospital for 2 days passing a kidney stone. I didnt realize how weak I was or how serious a Morphine induced hangover could be untill I started trying to walk out of a deep canyon with a 20+lb bird on my back. Thankfully I had a good friend with me who carried my bird and my gear while I crawled out of the woods to my truck. Not my smartest decision ever. It pains me to say it, but I should have listened to my wife when she told me not to go.
J.K. Traditions Kanati 56" 52#@27"

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »
Maybe not the craziest thing I ever did...

I once made a good-looking shot on a fine Thanksgiving evening buck here in Ohio. Figured the buck was dead in under 100 yards. I came back with later with 2 friends to track and drag by lantern light. Something was amiss...2 hours and no deer. The longest blood trail I've ever followed just kept going. Late into the night we finally caught up to this mortally wounded buck. He'd lost so much blood that he couldn't stand up and remain concious. Lying down however, he was fully alert. For legal and ethical reasons I had no bow with me, so..

My 2 friends held lanterns while I crept around behind the buck. I slipped up on him and punched him through the lungs with my hunting knife. Try to imagine a 175 pound blue marlin with sharp tines thrashing up against you and knocking hell out of everything in a 15' radius. My injuries weren't severe, unlike the buck which had expired. I have a very vivid memory of staring into a bright lantern and hearing my good friend chuckle these words: "Kevin...you really know how to put on a good show!"

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 06:38:00 AM »
Stepped smack dab middle of a Diamondback in the trail coming back to camp after dark with both hands full. Exciting!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 06:54:00 AM »
Was hunting with a buddy once. Plan was for him to sit at spot A while I still-hunted through a big woods patch for most of the day ending with a slow drive by him.

Early in the hunt, I cut my right index finger (I'm right handed) badly on a broadhead.  Spent the next two or three hours trying to learn how to shoot two-under while maintaining direct pressure on my index finger.

After the hunt, we stopped by the ER for stitches.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 07:22:00 AM »
Not really crazy but definitely dumb...

This past Fall I was running late for an afternooon hunt so I took great pains when walking to my stand in order that I wouldn't make a bunch of noise. When I got there I turned on the dumbazz switch. I laid my bow against the tree and started out to the shooting area, fishing through my pockets for my scent pads. When I found them I looked up to see a big 8 point just standing there, broadside, looking at me. He wasn't 20 yds away. The sun coming through the trees lit him up like a christmas tree. How do I know he was 8 points? Cause he stood there that long! He finally turned and strolled outta there (Not running)as if he was bored. I never did see him again...
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©