3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Optimal string for a 40# Tomahawk SS longbow?  (Read 251 times)

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
Optimal string for a 40# Tomahawk SS longbow?
« on: January 11, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
Hello there, my new-to-me Tomahawk came with their 18-strand FF string. Anybody tried a 10 or 12 strand to gain a little speed for 3d?
Thanks!
Marco

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Optimal string for a 40# Tomahawk SS longbow?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
here's my 2 cents worth ...

bowstrings are something that you need to try and see for yerself what works best for you and your bow.  

there are different diameters of some hmpe fiber strands, with f8125 and the older ff being thinner than the bulk of the common brands/types of dyneema string fibers.  a very few hmpe fibers are a bit thicker, such as 452 which is blend of vectran.

personally, 18 strands of any hmpe string fiber (df'97, d10. f8125, ff, etc) is ultra mega overkill for a 40# stick bow, and the tensile strength of that string will be close to if not exceeding 1800#.  

dropping down to 10 strands will yield a bowstring that's about 25x the holding weight of the bow, which is also way more tensile strength than required for a 40# bow.

going from 18 to 10 strands is a huge reduction in string weight and you will see a small arrow speed increase.  however, there *may* be a loss of "release stability" and an increase in noise.  but maybe not.  experiment!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
You could even go to an 8 strand easily for a 40# bow; but I would suggest you shoot at least 9gr/# arrows or have string silencers on.  Bare 8 strand strings with ultra-light arrows would get maximum speed out of a bow, but is also approaching dry-fire dynamics.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
18 is a lot for a 40# bow...but,How does it shoot now. If you are shooting it well you can try other things but the gain will be minimal if you already are shooting it well. But ....it's fun to try different stuff! Good luck!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
6 strand SBD string. You'll add 6fps, and quieter to boot.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
Yep--to find what works best for you, you'll have to experiment a bit.  Not take 3 or 5 shots, but actually tune and shoot--may take a little time, but will pay off.  There are no "one size fits all" answers.

A general suggestion would be 10 strands of Dynaflight '97 or 10-12 strands of 8125.  You might get a small increase in speed, depending on several variables--how your nocks fit your string now, how they fit the new string, if your release changes with the new string, etc.  Won't be anything earth-shattering performance-wise, but it should change the feel (you might like it, might not).

Good luck, have fun, and keep good notes.

Chad

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by stujay:
6 strand SBD string. You'll add 6fps, and quieter to boot.
Second this. Have them on all my sub 50# bows.Awsome.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 11:39:00 PM »
I use a 14 strand fast flight plus string on my 55# Diamond SS for optimum speed, quietness and nock fit. I agree with Rob though to try different strings. I would think a 8-10 strand string would be great for that bow.
James Kerr

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
Both of my 42# and 37# recurves have 12 strand Dyna97 bowstrings on them.

But, keep in mind I strictly bowhunt.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
A SBD six string ultra may serve you well.

Pierre of SBD will offer you quality advice.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
You might want to try one of our FTS Super strings.  It is a skinny string like many have suggested here but it is a continuous loop style string so you won't need to constantly check your brace height.  Your complete satisfaction is guaranteed!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
6 strand SBD

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
OK, yesterday I ordered a 10 strand D97, and it will be my first test. If I like the way it shoots and the noise is under control, I'll move to a 6 strand SBD.  Will keep you all posted as soon as I get it.
Thanks!

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »
Thank you for the help and suggestions! And btw, this Tomahawk sure is a shooter... I was surprised, since many comments I read are a bit 'meh' about them. But it fits me really well.
Marco

Offline hammer08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 01:35:00 AM »
The 6 strand sbd strings are fantastic.

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
OK, I went with a 6-strand SBD string per your advice. My arrows should arrive in the next week or so, the 500 spined are still a little stiff.
I have to say, I'm really impressed. The groups have gone up about 3 inches (bow must be a little faster) but most importantly the bow is whisper-quiet and I have a lot less feedback on the riser (a lil'hand shock, yes, it's there on such a light-in-the-hand bow). It just quieted everything down: I can't believe they ship with an 18-strand.
What a difference! Thank you for the advice, everybody, will keep you posted when the arrows arrive.
Marco

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©