3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When is it really time?  (Read 716 times)

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
When is it really time?
« on: January 11, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
I have been shooting trad bows for a few years and have my recurve set up to shoot broadheads.  I have hunted with it 5 times but have never shot at a deer.  I am unable to go 100% trad because I always feel that I will not make the shot with the trad bow or that I will have a deer at 30 yards that I will not be able to shoot at.  The last reason is the lesser of the two reasons.  We enjoy venison so in the back of my mind, I second guess the fact that I can fill the freezer with a trad bow.  Most of my shots are 20 yards or under, so I know I can get close but still don't know if it is time for me to go 100% trad.  Any ideas or tips to take the next step for me?

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: When is it really time?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
You will know its time when you no longer get a feeling of accomplishment out of your compound kill.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
I switched about four years ago, cold turkey on the compound, I did the same also almost 13 year ago with rifle hunting, it not all about getting animal, its about getting to be at more of an even plain with the animals your hunting. If your worried about taking animals, it might not be the right time.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
Nothing to it but to do it! If I don't have meat in the freezer before gun season I enjoy some time in the woods with family that don't bowhunt and take a doe or two.

Wise man say "Squirrel who sit on fence too long eventually lose nuts."  :D  

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
I had to sell my compound  to gain confidence with trad equipment. It was the best sale i have ever made.  I shoot  3D year around to keep sharp and i havent looked back.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
What gets me is that this year, I shot 2 does and when it was all done and I had time to think about it, I thought, I could have shot those with my recurve.  I also passed a small 6pt but I know that if I would have had my recurve, I would have had a 15 yard shot at him also.  I think if I do go 100% trad, I will take a smaller buck that I would have passed on if I was using a compound.

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
I'm new to Trad but this year I missed a doe with my compound when she jumped the string. Normally, I'd be ranting and raving but I was'nt really bummed out about it. It was at that moment I realized I had to make a change and rekindle my passion. Right now, I'm target practicing in my basement every night and hunting squirrels on the weekends. I think I'll be ready for next deer season.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by wisconsinteacher:
What gets me is that this year, I shot 2 does and when it was all done and I had time to think about it, I thought, I could have shot those with my recurve.  I also passed a small 6pt but I know that if I would have had my recurve, I would have had a 15 yard shot at him also.  I think if I do go 100% trad, I will take a smaller buck that I would have passed on if I was using a compound.
YEP -- shoot DEER for a couple years, the bucks will come, better to have several under your belt when the biggun shows up.

Don't ask how I know!  :banghead:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
Acute commitment and a well focused mindset may be all you need to reach the summit.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
Once you get your 1st kill you will be hooked.I just had to tell myself no more training wheels and commited to my trad bow.Good luck bro.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
If you dive in you will soon discover that filling the freezer is not hard. Once you get a couple of trad kills under your belt you will also know the sense of acomplishment that shooting trad brings and likely not want to shoot them as much with the wheels.

Bisch

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
I don't know about you but I had some long stretches with my compound without a kill. I made the switch 5 yrs ago and have shot 3 does and a buck and also wounded a buck. I've seen a great number of bucks during this period and I don't believe that a compound would have put me in a better position to take shots. I truly have fallen back in love with archery, all aspects of it because of the switch and just feel so bad that it took me so long to convert. All those greater feelings of accomplishment that I missed because I waited so long. Once we reach that level of confidence in our shot, the satisfaction level is overwhelming and even though confidence
can be shaken from time to time there will be no turning back and hopefully that can happen for you.

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »
I've killed a buttload of deer from a tree stand but never really thought I'd kill one from the ground.  So...I bought the top half of a MarcAnthony ghillie, put it on one fine morning and sat on the down wind side of a great trail.   Hadn't been there long and 4 bucks came along.   The last one...of course the very last one...was a monster.   The/A lead buck walked up and stood 6 steps from me and even though i moved a bit he showed absolutely no concern.   He was not legal so I passed but he looked at me, probably thought I was a weird bush and simply walked away.  

Point is...don't always trust your inner voice.   Follow the good advice of the guys on this site, adapt and start killing deer.   You can do it.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »
If you feel you have to shoot a deer, I reccomend a rifle

Hunting with a trad bow isn't any less effective than a compound, but it does require more of you, the hunter.  More patience.  More woodsman ship to get that close shot.  Mor focus and practice to develop the ability to make that shot.

Like Kentucky said, when you don't get anything out of hunting with he compound anymore, then it's time.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 05:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
You will know its time when you no longer get a feeling of accomplishment out of you compound kill.
TJ said it well!

The owner of a local bow shop loves to ask me "what are you going to do when a big buck walks by at 35 yards?"

My answer is always, "I just won't kill him, it has happened before, and it will most likely happen again!"

Offline emac396

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 06:31:00 AM »
I bounced back and forth for a while for me it was getting the confidence in my shooting ability. I thought I had it but I had doubt, till one day stump shooting I just knew I could do it.

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 08:01:00 AM »
Matthew,

When drawing back to make the shot... don't summarize the deer's whole body, head, ears, eyes, or antlers (not even for a split second). This is very easy to do when using no sights/peep.

Even after 25 years of killng deer with stickbows (and no experience in killing them with compounds), I still keep this at the forefront of my thoughts.

Focus on one thing, and one thing only -

Visualize the arrow's path through center mass,  from entrance to exit. Supreme focus on the spot you have chosen (eye of the tiger). It is the key element in avoiding blown shots when shooting barebow.

You are no longer 'triggering' the shot on a fast-shooting machine, but rather you are shooting a bow that is dependent upon EVERYTHING you do to execute the shot.

Until the day arrives that you're no longer concerned about missing out on those longer shots, you will continue to leave the stickbow at home (or wish you had).

I hope this helps you reach the path you are seeking. It can be a rewarding feeling, once  you get there.

- Dave

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
You'll know.  I still hunt with the rifle during season because I also like venison in the freezer and opportunities at deer can be limited here.  When I bow hunt I use trad after switching four years ago.  I never used sights on my compound so the switch was not that dramatic, my effective range remained the same.  Most of my stands don't give me the opportunity to have shots outside my effective range anyway.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline DKdc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
I love hunting with trad gear during archery season. I still get rifle tags for rifle season. meat for the family. especially for growing kids. .
dk

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Go to the legends and pioneers section on the main forum page and read all the article and watch the videos and get lost in that erra. By the time your done you will sell the wheels.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©