3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Aerial Shooting Practice - Self Thrown - Video  (Read 591 times)

Offline dutchotto

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aerial Shooting Practice - Self Thrown - Video
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
“When learning to shoot instinctive, begin shooting at moving targets with flu-flu arrows. Flu-flus will ensure recovery of all the shots you will miss. Your brain will learn a lot quicker and will train your body how to proficiently hit the center of moving targets. You won’t have time to aim. Your brain takes over and eventually calibrates the shot for you.”

This is a quote from Tim Wells, not a traditional guy but a great instinctive shooter.

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the video.  Very well done.

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
I just ordered this video, and am looking forward to watching it. Looks like a blast.

Dan

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2012, 03:23:00 AM »
Thats some good shooting . Great vid .
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Online oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2012, 02:48:00 AM »
I need to quit traveling so I can spend more time shooting.  Hope you are getting out.  Not sure what a good video topic should be.

Originally posted by dutchotto:
“When learning to shoot instinctive, begin shooting at moving targets with flu-flu arrows. Flu-flus will ensure recovery of all the shots you will miss. Your brain will learn a lot quicker and will train your body how to proficiently hit the center of moving targets. You won’t have time to aim. Your brain takes over and eventually calibrates the shot for you.”

This is a quote from Tim Wells, not a traditional guy but a great instinctive shooter.
Tim is a great shot and I believe he has done trad but he generally shoots compounds (I guess I might also if sponsors paid for all the hunts).  

It was much harder when shooting at ducks with my string setups and fletchless arrows to see the arrow and accurately adjust leads.  Arrow visibility is extremely important as Tim said.  Lighted nocks can help even more.

Offline Blog on Bottom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
I have shot milk jugs in the air before, but always with someone else throwing them. It had never occurred to me to throw things myself until I happened to stumble across your youtube video about a week ago.
I was amazed at how quickly it came together after trying it. Of course, I was using laundry detergent bottles, which are considerably larger than your whiffle balls. I'm anxious to buy some of those and give it a try - especially since I broke two flu-flus out of seven hits the other night!
"Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ---C.S. Lewis

Offline Blog on Bottom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
Oh, and I intend to get around to buying your video soon. One can never quit learning, and I bet you have some great tips on it.
"Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ---C.S. Lewis

Online oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2014, 02:08:00 AM »
I am glad the clip gave you some new ideas, our DVD will give you a lot more   ;)    Breaking 2 out of 7 flu flus is a little rough, are you shooting wood shafts?

Offline dave h

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
Good vid and shooting.Pretty close most of the time.Going to have to try that.
Fox Archery Recurve(THE BREED)

Offline Todd Alexander

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
I've been shooting poorly at pheasants and aerial targets for years here and there.  I just ordered your video and I'm curious to watch it.  You're probably going to tell me I have to practice or something crazy like that.     :thumbsup:
"If ya gotta be stupid, ya gotta be tough"

Online oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
No nothing crazy like practicing.  It's more about closing your eyes and plucking the string just right.  I go into a lot more detail on the DVD.  Frustration can really hurt confidence, so never actually seeing your misses by closing your eyes keep frustration low and is the secret sauce.  Before you know it, you'll be hearing the sweet sound of splatting paintballs with your flu flus.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
just ordered the DVD and looking forward to learning something new.
I bet my Grandson will love learning with me.
Can't wait to go try some game farm pheasants.
We have a nice one only six miles away and a good Chocolate Lab too.
Thanks for making the video and sharing it with us.
Irv Eichorst

Online oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
Thanks for your orders.  They went out yesterday, so you should have it by Saturday or Monday.  Let me know if you have any questions or if there is any way I can help.  And also, make sure you share some pictures of your aerial adventures.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2014, 07:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by JamesV:
Good shooting, looks like fun. I use spiral flu flu for playing around. How would they work for arial shooting?
They work well for aerial. I use 3.5" 6-fletch fluflus on a tight helical clamp. I did a test with my friend Michael by shooting them and our otherwise identical hunting arrows (4" 3-fletch shield cut) into a field at 45* above horizontal and measuring flight distance. Out of both of our bows, my fluflus consistently went 32%-36% the distance of my hunting arrows. My hunting arrows impacted at 30*-45*. My fluflus impacted at 65*-75* from both our bows. As best we can tell they climbed at a steadily decreasing rate and then just fell out the sky like they had a tiny parachute on them. We throw targets for each other occasionally and are getting much better but we can't touch Darren's skill.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Blog on Bottom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
Yes, using wood arrows, but I think the blunt tips are causing too much shock when they hit those heavy jugs. No prob - I'll change to your whiffleballs and I'll be fine. Do they make them in beach ball size?
Here's a video of one of the arrow breaks the other night. The bow action at the end is frustration at seeing the second busted arrow of the night    :(  

Offline taxyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :clapper:
Bear's Paw Classic    50&55# 62"
Blacktail Elite VL    50# 64"
Blacktail Elite VL    53# 62"
Dakota Pro Hunter     50# 64"
Stalker Wolverine FXT 50# 64"
Predator Classic   46&51# 62"
Zipper ILF Hunter     51#
Wapiti T/D 45&50# 62"

Offline chall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »
nice video! Looked like fun.
Eric Hall, Chris Hall , Cyndy Hall

Online oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by Blog on Bottom:
Yes, using wood arrows, but I think the blunt tips are causing too much shock when they hit those heavy jugs. No prob - I'll change to your whiffleballs and I'll be fine. Do they make them in beach ball size?
Here's a video of one of the arrow breaks the other night. The bow action at the end is frustration at seeing the second busted arrow of the night     :(    

Nice shooting.  I am surprised that just the impact would be breaking your arrows.  I would have guessed the arrows were penetrating the jug and then falling to the ground together and the weight of the jug and odd angles of impact on the arrows were the cause of the breaks.  I haven't seen any beach ball wiffle balls but judging by the video you many need to pick up some of the golf wiffle balls.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
Enjoyed it. Thanks for the good video.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member