3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: weight tubes any info on them  (Read 175 times)

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
weight tubes any info on them
« on: January 12, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
I would like to know about any experance with weight tubes can you glue em in to reduce knocking out nocks and such any info is great thanks jake

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: weight tubes any info on them
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
Just glue the nock in.

Why won't people glue the darn nocks in?

Sorry Jake, this question comes up over an dover and I just don't understand why it's so hard to cure.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
I use the tubes from 3Rivers in my Beman ICS Bowhunter carbon arrows to give them some extra punch.  I've had no issues with them causing the nocks to come out.  All I used was the typical method of taking pliers and lightly crimping the tube every 4-6 inches.  I don't see why glue wouldn't work though and I've heard of people using it.

Another trick I read about (but haven't used), is taking a plastic shopping bag (i.e. Wal-Mart, etc), lay it over the hole, insert the nock and then remove the excess plastic.  This extra bit of plastic is supposed to be good at holding the nock in place.
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
I'm not so much woried bout the nocks as I am bout getting weird flight and having to change spine of arrow or stuff like that

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
What DeCurry said, pair of needle nose and crimp every 4 - 6" and it will stay put for the most part and stop rattling also.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
I have used the weight tubes extensively and still have issues with jack hammering nocks out even after crimping the tubes.  I tried gluing in the tubes too and that was not much better.  I have glued my nocks now but last week I shot one off and then you are scr@#$d!  Very difficult to get what is left of the nock out so I dont recommend it.  I have been told that filling the shaft with ground coffee will add about a hundred grains and then seal it off with wax or epoxy.  I have not tried it but have heard good things about it.  I finally  went and bought some 100 grain brass inserts and tuned some new shafts to those. They shoot a little tighter than what my weight tube arrows do and no worry about sending my nocks flying while stumping!  Good Luck!

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
Crimp them like Decurry said.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline hunterbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
when I wanted to add weight I went to wall mart and bought the 3/16 nylon rope and put that in the shaft never had a problem with that pushing the nock out and you can do like 2 1/2 to 3 dozen arrows for like 8 bucks.
robert quetot

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
Never had nocks pop out. The key to it I think is haveing them cut exact lenght to fill up the shaft so they don't slop around.

With that said the problem I had was that they started to fall a part inside the shaft and then I could hear them rattle a little bit.  I no longer use them and just us heavier inserts and heads.

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
I shot the heavy weight tubes for an aussie buff hunt and if you don't glue them in real good you will have noks, points etc blowing out of those arrows every which way.

Shot one into a foam target and the arrow held but the BH and weighted insert blew out sticking into the backstop 3' behind the target
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©