3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Oh no! The deer have vanished in Mississippi  (Read 382 times)

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Oh no! The deer have vanished in Mississippi
« on: January 15, 2012, 12:34:00 AM »
Anybody seeing any movement to speak of?  I haven’t seen a deer since the 2nd of December here in south MS.  Have seen  a lot of fresh scrapes and hook bushes but seem to be mostly night time movement.  What are you seeing?
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online DC

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Oh no! The deer have vanished in Mississippi
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 01:40:00 AM »
I haven't been in the woods lately but I would think the moon has had everything moving at night. It's been big and bright. The rut should start soon and things should change.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 01:46:00 AM »
Andrew,

Have you seen any rut activity in your area?

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
They are still chasing does around here(Adams and Wilkinson counties). The deer are very nocturnal, especially on public ground and most hunting clubs. The deer in Mississippi are hunted with rifles for almost 4 months of the year. I am surprised they are not more nocturnal considering how long and hard they are pressured.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
Yeah, not to mention dog pressure. It would be nice if half the public land was still hunt only!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
The deer have simply vanished from the subdivision where I live in Texas. I haven't seen any sign of them and we put out corn for them in our front yard which faces the woods. They haven't touched the corn in a month.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
for those of you that posted, Has this ever happened before in your area? The same thing happened here in November, around the start of the rut. The last day of deer bow season the first part of January there were deer all over! Ive never seen anything like it!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
This year started out with a bang for me as for seeing deer, but dry up quick by the end of October.  No deer seen throughout November and then had a chance meeting with a 5 point December the second (First Trad Buck) and nothing since.

The woods are full of the signs so no doubt their here but asolutely nocturnal.  It just seem to me every year gets a little harder to find them here in Jackson county South Mississippi.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
Yes, it happens every year now. I think it is the deer reacting to pressure and overall numbers being down. Mississippi has changed alot in the last few years. Long, liberal gun seasons have decimated the quality of hunting on most public areas and most hunting clubs have far too many members per acre in an effort to pay high lease fees. There are some real giants killed around my area every year, however, you better be a landowner or have deep pockets to hunt the good areas.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
I live in central MS as a transplant from south MS. I don't think you'll find a tougher deer herd to hunt than  in MS - especially south MS - especially after gun & dog (I hate that word) season start. They are scared witless & any buck having survived their second season is completely nocturnal. Someone very much in the know confirmed my belief that almost every deer is feeding on corn (baiting). It is illegal but come on! Even the hardware & grocery stores sell "deer corn"! It's also a fact that there is still an ingrained element of poaching, aka "night hunting" that takes place while people are "looking for my dogs" etc. And the powers that be often look the other way in what is still a good ol' boy system. Not to mention the rut is so loose and disorganized that nobody knows when it takes place - as evidenced by spotted fawns being sighted at any time of year.

By the way, do not think for one moment the game laws & seasons are aranged for any other reason than cold, hard cash. Your ability to see deer is an aside. Money talks and everything else walks - also thanks to a good 'ol boy systen. How about this, anything with a string is a bow and my 35 Whelen is a "primitive weapon". Next year it may be a bow! It's tough on the law abiding bowhunter over much of the state but IMHO you guys have it the worst.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
I live in NC and it happens here every year, the last couple a 3 weeks of the season. Ours ended Jan 2nd. Wednesday was the first time I saw any deer moving during the day.
Member NCBA

Online marsh chicken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
good bowhunting in mississippi for anyone without private land or access to a high dollar club has long been over. I miss the good deer hunting of the late 70's. Some in mississippi still believe after 20 years of doe killing we are over populated. If hunter's don't wake up and think for themselves instead of what is being fed to them bowhunting will be a thing of the past for most in mississippi. Let's not forget what was said about spike bucks not many years ago.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
I have the privilege to hunt on a 1200 acre parcel of land, but one of the problem is the #’s of other people who hunt it has grown each year too.  They subscribe to “Supplemental Feeding"   ;)  as the state calls it and it is loosely done within the bound of the law.  I believe this tends to also help drive the deer into more of a nocturnal mode example: they hear the feeder at morning and at evening and get accustom to the food being there and learn real quick that if they wait till cover of darkness they don’t hear the loud reports and find salley or suzy missing   :rolleyes:    

So what the answer to hunting methods when they stick tight to cover and move only at night?  What are you guys doing that you have found to be successful?  More midday hunts?

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
I spent several years hunting mostly public land in south MS. I learned to look where others did not. Very dense cover in unappealing places. For instance, a hardwood drainage in the middle of pine plantation that is only a few years old. Almost impenetrable cover on the outside but open enough in the drainage for a stand or two. Not worth the time for the masses but the deer will feel safer to move in those circumstances. Also, investigate things like draw & permit hunts on military bases, airfields, etc. Finally, mark the NWR lands on your map and investigate those. They are federal properties and heavily regulated. All are permit only, some are limitd draw and all have limited access but you will not have the hassels you find on state lands (or those lands under state jurisdiction/management). Scout these in the summer and schedule a few hunts each winter. You would be surprised how much you can enjoy a weekend where you actually have opportunities and expect to see game. Hope that helps.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
I have food plot here at home that I cn see from my bed room. The deer are hitting most nist from 11-1am. I also have feeder set up for hogs down the road a bit with a trail camer. Not a pig before 1:30am for the past few weeks.

Online champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
Hello John, Same here, been in the woods the past four days..seen one doe. Never seen anything like it on the property I hunt, usually see hogs and deer every day. Take care my friend, Shane
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
One other recomendation: when you find a good secluded place to hang your stand, never, ever tell or show anyone where you are hunting. It will turn your best friend into your worst friend. I usually have more than one trail in & go to great length to keep it hidden. Learned this by having a few places ruined by others tracking me in & then sitting up shop. Don't spread around your success, just post pictures here. Sorry, don't mean to sound paranoid.

As far as deer movement, I saw 11 does Friday afternoon on a heavily pressured tract of land (although no dogs thankfully). Had several in range but was waiting on a buck. But then again, I'm in the central portion of the state. Hopefully your luck will turn with the moon phase.

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
I have a lease in Louisiana, but if you cross the street you're in MS. Same here no movement except at night!
Conny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
Thanks guys,

I’ll be at it again in the morning (if i drag myself out of bed, it supposed to be in the 30’s in the morning Brrrr).  Danny, know what you mean about revealing the good spots they become public spots afterwards.

But it sounds like this pattern is affecting others and not just me, hope the rut activity picks up before my days run out.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
South MS Bowhunter mentioned mid day hunting and I have been doing that for years with good results. You must however, stay close to bedding areas as they are not likely to travel far during daylight. Other than early season, I almost never hunt food sources. I have had much better luck hunting the edges of bedding areas once gun season opens and the pressure is on, especially if you are after mature deer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©