3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: JD Berry Vixen American Longbow  (Read 377 times)

Offline stickgunner

• Trad Bowhunter
JD Berry Vixen American Longbow
« on: January 15, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »
Go Check JD Berry's new web site out at
JDBerryarchery.com . He's got some great prices on his bows and the detail is out of this world.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: JD Berry Vixen American Longbow
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 02:11:00 AM »
look good... How do they shoot??

Offline Elk77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
Jame's bows shoot just has nice has they look. After 30 years of building custom longbows James has master the art and craftmanship and is truly a master bowyer. James is a pleasure to talk to and really know's is stuff. You cann't go wrong with a J D Berry.

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
JD Berry's are darn fine bows.  I have a Renaissance I almost sold, then I look at her, hold her, and shot her.  Glad it is still on my bow rack.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline snellville-dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
They do look good and at $850 to $875 I'd expect them to look good. Dave
Flatwoods Custom Bow 42# @ 28" AMO 60"
Maddog - Prairie Predator 39# @ 28" AMO 55"

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
I have a new-to-me Pit Viper coming. Very excited to try it.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
are all his bows shaped like a D section or any of them more radical like a moab or tomahawk,, also is there a noticable performace difference between the 400 dollar vs the 800 dollar bows?
"Us vs Them"

Offline Shawn Rackley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
i have three berrys bows. one taipan, and an argos,aswell as a vixen. and theres quite alot of difference in price in the last . his quality is standard comes with every bow. might not have as many woods in the riser. but they all have magnificent trapazoided limbs, that i can only imagine taking hours if not days. its not just a flat trapazoid. what i mean its nice and rounded not just set on a planer. i have been surprised at the quality from James since bow Number one. now on my third with my last being a vixen which is a lower cost model but one of my faveorites. the craftsmanship and quality as well as design are amazing.
@tajue 17 i dont believe he makes a radical r/d at the moment. hes been around along time im sure he has a form for one. and as far as performance there is no difference between the price ranges. just less pieces of wood

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
Hmm,,, well I'm really wondering about the argos compared to the scorpian but if they both shoot the same its tough but I do want a nice curves D style traditional look that has reflex/delfex,,,,, lets say 55@27 64-66" which one gets the voteif price wasn't an option??

if its a tie between would it be worth another hundred bucks to get the forward handle Taipan?  

I do like his Prices and I like the wait time,,,, also how does it work with ordering do you call him and then send in a deposit because I didn't see an order form.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Elk77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
Hello Tajue, just give James a call, and he will be answer all of your questions. He usally will take your order then ask for a $100 down and the rest when the bow is completed. Jame's bows are a D style longbow with a reflex-delfex. Like I said before James is a pleasure to talk to and knows is stuff. Happy shooting.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
Never shot a JD Berry bow before but I have been looking at them for some time . They look awesome and im sure they shoot that way also   :thumbsup:
" Live long and prosper "

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
I picked up a Taipan, 54 at 27 inches from a Member here about two years ago.  I am pretty much a confirmed recurve shooter for the past 55 years but this was one of the best purchases I've made.  Sometimes you just need to go outside the box.  It is also the lightest poundage bow I have but it shoots great.

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
I shot a Taipan a while back, a longer one.  I don't think a longbow can be built more forgiving and accurate as that one was.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
After a 6-1/2 month wait my new JD Berry Apollo forward handled longbow finally arrived. 62" and 48#@28. Yew core and trapezoid yew limbs. The bow was built from 72 individual pieces of exotic wood. Gorgeous arrow inlays on the limbs. Cocobola and brazilian walnut riser with double arcs and elk antler inlay. Elk antler overlay on the riser back and elk antler and bloodwood on the riser belly. Elk antler tip overlays on the trademark hook nocks. This bow is simply stunning. Draws smooth as butter and whisper quiet even without silencers. I was shocked at how fast it is. My last JD Berry Taipan was 52# and this one seems faster than that. Even the script work is unbelievable.

"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »

"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »

Offline MercilessMing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
Berry bows are top quality.  I have 3 Renaissance, 1 Appollo, 1 Argos (for my son)  and 1 recurve.  I am so pleased with the performacne, quality and the look.

The longbows are R/D design but are all D shape when strung.  Renaissance shoots faster than Appollo.  But Appollo seems to be more forgiving for me due to reverse handle.  They all draw smoothly, shoot quiet and no handshock.  Many guys in my club want me to sell them one of mine but I just don't want to part.  In our club in the last 2 years members bought 15+ bows from James.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
Anyone shoot the Pit Viper?
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
Tajue 17, this is James Berry. I will try to answer your questions the best i can so here we go. Each model is built on it's own form except the reverse handle, the Apollo and Taipan.
   The two top models the limb laminations are balanced and the glass is tapered. " they tend to shoot sweeter". There is not a big difference
between the $400 and $800 model in preformance.
  All JD Berry longbows are "D" shaped.
 Give me a call I am not following your question on the D shape ref/def.
 Heres my number 509-299-3029

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
I have a 26&1/4" draw , I like to heel the bow a bit, what length would you recommend for the Apollo.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©