3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: softening a bear hide???  (Read 127 times)

Offline Scott C.

• Trad Bowhunter
softening a bear hide???
« on: January 15, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
I just got my son's bear hide back from the taxidermist that was "soft tanned".  Some areas are very stiff.  Is there some way I can soften these areas now?

thanks for any help, Scott

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: softening a bear hide???
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
Scott, depends on how "stiff", you can gently pull it [stiff spot] over an edge of some sort, edge of counter, back of chair, go gently with hair side up, DON'T pull on the hair, you can also sand those areas with coarse sandpaper, I have a 1/4" thick piece of steel that has been rounded off and mounted between 3/4" plywood that I mount in a vise and use as a leather break, hope this helps. Just go slow and steady w/o pulling out hair, Todd

Offline Scott C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
Thanks Todd. It's mostly the head that is really stiff, around the eyes, etc. and the lips are curled inside out.  This area would be hard to pull over an edge.  I've done a little research online and some say wet the area and "work" it, others have mentioned tanning oils or neatsfoot oil to soften stiff hides.  Just don't want to mess it up.  Thanks again for your help,  Scott

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
Your hide was tanned as a taxidermy tan. A garment tan would have been softer. A taxidermy tan is supposed to be soaked in water so it can be mounted. Therefore a real soft leather isn't needed.Garment tans are softer so they can be sewn into coats.The heads on garment tanned skins can still be stiff. Oil can soften it, but too much and it will ruin the hide.Go slow. Not sure I would attepmt it.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©