3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Harbor freight mini chop saw  (Read 548 times)

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
Harbor freight mini chop saw
« on: July 20, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »
I went to Harbor Freight today and picked up one of there mini chop saws and some 3" fiber disk, man does this work great for cutting down carbon arrows. Its well worth the $23.99 for the saw.  :clapper:
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Harbor freight mini chop saw
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
I love mine! Best $23 I ever spent.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
I second that.  Mine is an arrow cuttin demon.
Otto

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »
i guess i third that, great little saw.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
I will 4th it.  It will cut anything I need it to.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dachba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
Handy little boogers, aren't they.  I've had mine for several years and used it for all kinds of arrows and a bunch of other stuff.

Dave in Ft. Collins, CO
Dave from North Bend, Oregon

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »
Great working saw !!!

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 01:32:00 AM »
I just bought a bunch of Gordon Glass shafts,and got one of these little saws to cut em.What a slick little tool.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Online TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 01:47:00 AM »
Is this the mini cut-off saw for $23.99 on their website?  It says it uses 2" blades.  Will the 3" blades fit?
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
I was wondering the same thing Roknjs. I bought the saw but am curious now how easy it will be to get more blades...?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
Im not sure,about the 3" blades,but HF,sells a Package of replacement blades for this saw.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
The only 2" blades they had are for wood, I put on a 3" fiber blade for my carbons, you have to take the safty sheild off but they bolt   right on.
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
I would be a little shy to use it without a guard on it. I think I saw some 2 1/2" fiber wheels at Lowe's. They might allow use of the guard. Hap

Offline Yankee Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
Hi Huntnut,

The specs on the saw state for use with 2" blades. Most folks seem to be using these blades from this Guy. I ordered some a few day's ago and just got them in the mail today. Supposed to be great for carbon and aluminums.
   http://cgi.****.com/Abrasive-Cut-Off-Wheel-Arrow-Saw-Blade-Qty-5_W0QQitemZ170132969494QQihZ007QQcategoryZ36097QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem  

Well, looks like that link ain't gonna work... you can go to the auction site and do a search for the seller " phhoth " he only has a few items listed so the wheels are easy to find. He's out of Friendswood, TX.

Hope this might be of some help.

YB

Offline DAS Kinetic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
Guys,
  I have one and it works great, but the wheels you use make all the differnce.  The cheap wheels that come from HF are junk.  Here is a link to a quality wheel:
 http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=3227514&PMT4NO=26115749

3" wheels are a bad idea because the saw does not have the torque to drive them, and the guard has to come off.  The wheels I linked to last twice as long as the cheap ones and cut cleaner and faster.  I use this saw for carbons and aluminum all the time.

David

Offline jlnft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
I have the same Mini Cut-off saw. You can get the 2" abrasive cut-off wheels at Sears. That's where I normally get them.

Joe
God is good all the time, all the time God is good!!

Offline Yankee Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the info David & Joe. Heck, I waited a week to get mine in the mail...and got a Sears 3 minutes from the house... never even crossed my mind to look there.

YB

Offline DAS Kinetic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
Bill,
  You're welcome.  I haven't tried the sears blades but I know the Nortons are top notch. At very least, make sure you get 1/32" (.035) thick blades.  They do make 1/16" for heavier duty work on die grinders, but these little saws don't have the poop to drive them.  Just as a side note, there are a couple guys on **** selling aluminum bases for these saws that have measurement scales and arrow supports on them.  One of them, especially, looks really nice.  I made a simple one out of an oak board and a yardstick that works fine for me.  My arrows are pretty much the same length anyway.  I cut my carbons with it, and I also cut the little pieces of aluminum shafting that I use for footing on the business end of the arrow.  It's a good little tool for home use.

David

Offline Yankee Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
Thanks again for the info Dave,

funny you should mention those aluminum tables for the HF saw, I've got one enroute from a seller in WA. as we speak. Found the Item on **** while searching for blades after I had aldeady bought my saw and worked out a deal with him for the jig...minus the saw. Would have been more cost effective to buy the complete jig from him (saw included), but still wasn't that bad a price.

It only cost me about $15 bucks more this way, but still saved me the aggrivation of having to fabricate something... money well spent IMHO.

YB

Online Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
Dave,

Is it the white-based or all aluminum version that appealed the most to your "engineer's eye"?  Both look like would do a decent job, but I wondered what it looked like to you.

Thanks,

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©