3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Asbell Wool Layering  (Read 348 times)

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
Asbell Wool Layering
« on: January 17, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »
How I layer Teresa's wool:

Evening stand green pull over with hood (28oz wool). Merino wool base layer with a flannel shirt and Teresa's windblocker vest on over that.  

That will get me down to being comfortable in the 30s as long as there is occasional activity.

How do you normally layer it?

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Asbell Wool Layering
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
Highly variable.  From a light underwear layer, to increasing levels of underarmour and a light merino wool layer, one of two weights of wool shirts, a windproof wool sweater, but whatever the number of under layers Theres's goes on the top.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
A goodwill bargain light merino wool sweater as base layer.  A 20 oz. Asbell wool followed by 28 oz. evening stand brown with hood.  Add a goodwill sweater or two underneath if it gets extreme.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
Under Armor Base 2.0, Pendleton wool shirt, Teresa's windblocker vest and I too have the evening stand green mackinaw. Or if the temps ar real low, the Laclair grey Longhunter shirt (which is a heavier weight wool than than the mackinaw).
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
I just go with what I was born in and wear just the 28oz. wool pullover in about 17 degee weather! You guys need to tuffin up!   :goldtooth:

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
Now that's primitive    :biglaugh:

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
Normally I look like a cousin of the Pillsbury Doughboy;and If I layered up like you guys; I wouldn't be able to move let alone shoot a bow [lol].

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »
Geez Keefer, don't your legs and privates get cold?
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
Terramar Helix underwear, Columbia or Woolrich bibs, wool sweater, Teresa's Windblocker vest, Asbell Mackinaw on top.

Good sitting into the 20's.

Oh, and two pairs of Wigwarm wool socks inside insulated boots (Irish Setter).
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
I'll never be rugged like Keefer!   :laughing:

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by maineac:
Geez Keefer, don't your legs and privates get cold?
Mikie,
         Once you numb up you can't feel a thing and won't know the difference between Hot or Cold...I just itch like a Hound doggy scooting on a new plush carpet! Doing what I call the Hyeana Walk!   :goldtooth:

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
Keefer:::Please don't bend over  :scared:

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
So I will admit, Keefer is tougher than me!

If I am going to be in a stand and temps in the low 30s to upper 20s, I got with a base layer of polypropolene, the "compression" type stuff underarmor started making. I get the "Cheap Stuff" from Kohls, or Ross. Same material just different logo. On top of that I have my Duo-fold, I have both two piece and also a couple of union suits. I prefer the latter if it is below 30. From there a turtleneck or mock turtle neck up top and Columbia Wool pants below. My pullover is always in my pack until I am in my stand and cool off a bit from the hike and climb. I also like using a neck gaiter. Keeps the heat in and also it keeps my facemask from hanging loose where it might get caught in my string.

For me keeping my head warm is the key to it all. I use a poly beenie type hat and then wear my wool fedora over that, and then some days the pullover hood comes up over the fedora.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
Now you fella's should know me better then that! I don't know a man alive that can be bare naked and have wool against his skin! It's like a wife that doesn't shave her legs and rubs up against ya!   :eek:

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
My minus 33 wool feels grat against my skine. So does my Asbell pullover. My Woolrich shirt isretty otchy though.

I used my Asbell today skiing at Angel Fire. Toasty warm....although that may have been from all the falling and picking myself up that i was doing.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 11:55:00 PM »
Light weight minus 33, med wgt minus 33, zip up wool sweater cabelas wool shirt and Theresa's pull over subtract depending on conditions.

Offline 8Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
So I see you guys are definitely adding a few layers when it gets cold, but I'd like to try to come at the question in a slightly different way since I have no experience with this stuff but I'm nearly certain I'll be ordering from Teresa before this fall.

If you were going to use some sort of cotton jacket/coat instead of the wool pullover, what type of cotton jacket/coat would you compare the warmth of the wool to?  Would it be like a zippered hooded sweatshirt, or maybe more like a hooded, insulated Carhartt jacket?
"You will never have more joy in your life than you have discipline." - Matthew Kelly
"You will never have more accuracy than you have concentration." - Me

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
I do not think you can compare cotton and wool.  Many years ago when I first started hunting all of my clothes were cotton.  I was not able to stay out in cold weather for very long at all.  Since I have completly stopped using cotton I can stay out all day.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
Being diabetic, cold for me is much more intense than for many of you younger guys, especially you Northerners. Low 30's and 20's is real damn cold for me.

If it is very cold, I have a layer of silk under a layer of merino wool long handles. (will leave off one or the other layer if not quite that cold.)I have heavy wool trousers or  a pair of medium weight wool bib front pants that I will wear. Next, I wear a Pendleton wool shirt under a wool sweater. Next I have either one of Teresa's pull over shirts or Ron LaClair's grey shirt. I have a heavy coat that I have been using as a last layer if it is both cold and windy, but in the off season I have acquired an Asbell hooded pullover, which I hope will   become my outer layer.

I have every weight and fabric hat you can think of, so cold or wet I am fixed up fine on head gear. I also have cold weather scarves and face masks.I use wool or fleece gloves as well as hand/foot warmers.

Usually I wear leather field boots, but in really cold weather, I use -40% pack boots.

With all this, I still can't stay out as long as I used to. After 2-3 hours, I lose feeling in my feet, which surely takes the edge off the fun.
Sam

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Keefer:
Now you fella's should know me better then that! I don't know a man alive that can be bare naked and have wool against his skin! It's like a wife that doesn't shave her legs and rubs up against ya!    :eek:  
Now ya went and started talking bad about my woman.....  :biglaugh:  No seriously you did...

My wool is.... Synthetic/Merino wool mix base layer, thin and cheap thrift store wool sweater, jeans  with woolrich bibs over that and Theresa's evening stand green pullover. Good in fairly cold weather with that setup.

-Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©