3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 or 4 feathers  (Read 269 times)

Offline Breeze430

• Trad Bowhunter
3 or 4 feathers
« on: January 17, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
Looking for some feed back. I have shot both 3 and 4 feather fletched arrows. Basically 30" 2219's with 125 to 160 grain broadheads. Am I losing any speed with the 4 fletch? My point of impact is basically the same for both. I do find the 4 fletch a bit more forgiving. By the way I use 5" feathers.
Breeze
"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.”

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 or 4 feathers
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
I really lik shooting 4" 4 fletch. I'm not sure about advantages, other than another feather on the shaft for visible shot identification which I like.

good question  :thumbsup:

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
At hunting distances,I don't think it matters much on a well tuned arrow.I feel my 4x4" arrows fly alittle flatter then some 3x5" high back fletched arrows.They seem this way I think because my 4" parabolic's are alittle lower profile.I have even shot 4x5" and 3x5" on the same spine arrow and they grouped together at 20 yds.I like the way 4x4" flys on my arrows.Thats what I've been fletching and refletching some of my arrows with 4x4" at 90.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
Are you losing speed?  Most likely some, but hardly any that a chronograph can significantly detect from 0-20 yds.  

However, I'm a believer that a properly tuned arrow should fly just fine with 2 feathers...so why 3 or even 4?

Note: I use 3 feathers 95% of the time.
Lon Scott

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
I like 4x4 because the nock is always right, I think they stabilize my arrow a little quicker on a less than perfect release than 3 fletch, without resorting to larger feathers. I haven't noticed a noticeable difference in point of impact between 3 and 4.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Also nice that you don't have to look at the arrow when nocking it.  No cock feather to deal with.  

So Breeze340, you're using 3x5" and 4x5", correct?  What type of bow and what is the draw weight.  Also what feather shape?  I think it it's under 60# you might try 4x4" feathers, maybe bananas in a moderately high profile.  I'm going to put some together tomorrow for my 50# Miller longbow.  The mid profile, 4" banana is definitely quieter than 4" shield cut feathers to my ears and it flies great.  I intend to try some 4" parabolics as well.  I burn all my feathers.  Awesome way to get the exact shape you want.  Highly recommended.  

I read in another thread that 4x4" feathers have one square inch more surface area than 3x5" feathers, so your arrow flight should be very good.  Here's the original thread:
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=092217#000002

I don't think you'll ever notice any difference in performance when switching from 3x5" to 4x5" or 4x4" for that matter.  I certainly don't think it would make one bit of difference to any game or target at which you loose an arrow     :cool:
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blackhawk:
Are you losing speed?  Most likely some, but hardly any that a chronograph can significantly detect from 0-20 yds.  

However, I'm a believer that a properly tuned arrow should fly just fine with 2 feathers...so why 3 or even 4?

Note: I use 3 feathers 95% of the time.
Ahhh, I'm glad you brought that up, Blackhawk.  Have you ever experimented with 2-fletch?  I've read that some folks get great results.  Thanks.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »
For me, it's a cost factor.

Using a 4", 4 fletch, for 6 arrows, I need 24 feathers, but with a 5", 3 fletch, 24 feathers allows me to fletch 8 arrows.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 11:55:00 PM »
I like the look of 3x5 better... That said, the one I use are shield cut and look like a pretty low profile, lower profile than the arrows the David(snag) made for me?!?!? So maybe I should try to use them as a 4X5?!?!?

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 01:30:00 AM »
sounds to me you already have the answer.

You can't tell it's going any slower and the 4 fletch seems more forgiving to you.

Forgiveness is a good thing in a hunting bow.

The only thing I'd double check is to see if my shafts are a tad too weak as the extra feather can increase your dynamic spine.....that might be a contributing factor to the "more forgiveness"
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
I shoot 4-4"@90° and since all my rationale has been proven bunk I admit it's because I've always shot 4s. That and I don't look at my nock when I'm nocking.

My arrows don't really care how many feathers they have. I've never tried just one, but they fly fine with two or three. And they group right with my fours.

If I have a bad release they seem to miss just as far as the 2s and 3s.

I've also noticed from absent minded point tightening while nocked that my arrows don't even care how the nocks are oriented.

Pretty laid back arrows.

Now... if I change my brace or nock height, all hell breaks loose.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Breeze430

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice fellar's. Sometime you just need to make sure your still doing the right thing. 4, 5" paribolic feathers maybe a little over kill, but, they shoot well for a wide weight range (55 to 70 lbs) a good range of broadhead weight and design and they forgive my mistakes..thanks boys.
Breeze
"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.”

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
More fletch (to a point) is a good thing.  It takes  A LOT of tuning errors out of the equation.  When it comes to speed, I have always said that until an arrow goes the speed of sound, the intended game is going to hear it coming.

It sounds as though, you have found your answer (reassurance) you were looking for.  Now go kill something and post some pics of it.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »
I did a rough calculation once and 4-4" fletch has a very small surface advantage over 3-5" fletch. That would dissappear if you went to 3 5.5" fletch. The arrow only cares how much feather surface area is passing through the air so the minor difference of going to 4 fletch seemed too small to justify the extra feather.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
A well-tuned and well-balanced arrow shouldn't need much fletching. Using an excessive amount of fletching to compensate for other tuning shortcomings isn't a good idea, imo. Get the weight up front, get it flying well, and then keep the fletching minimal.

I'm currently using 3 x 4", but would like to start experimenting with 3" fletch.

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
I shoot 3x5 in, but if 4 feathers are working for you and give you more forgiveness. I wouldn't change a thing.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline Breeze430

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
As I've said thanks for the feed back. Been slingin arrows from a longbow or 'curve exclusivly 20 years now. There is always time to listin' to new ideas...consider new techniques.
Breeze

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
Totally irrational but to me four feathers on an arrow just looks weird.  I notice no difference in flight.  Four fletch you don't have to look at to nock, so that could be an advantage.

Still, I have to look at them so three fletch it is for me.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
I shoot 3 X 5" feathers as that is just what I have always done.
James Kerr

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
I like 4" 4-fletch. I chop a lot of mine and I can always get 2 out of even a short full length.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©