3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heater Body Suit  (Read 348 times)

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
Heater Body Suit
« on: January 17, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
I froze my a$$ off for the last time Saturday. Two of my buddies have the suit and they were warm. I'm buying it! Just wondering what some of you wear in the suit when the temps are about 20 all day.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heater Body Suit
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
i had the suit and loved it. it was a little scary trying to climb into it in the stand (safety belt on first) but once in it i didn't want to get out. the only downside is w/ trad gear your a little more limited w/ shots but the alternative is to stay home.

i did end up selling mine only because i only used it when the temps got into the single digits which wasn't very often. kinda wish i'd kept it..

Offline deathwind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
I dress pretty much like it would be a 50 degree day. I wear long underwear with a light jacket like a sitka jacket and about the same in the pants. I don't worry about my feet anymore with the Heater Body Suit and usually wear something light to get into my stand. I wear Bean Boots that are large enough for a thick pair of wool socks and don't have any problem with my feet getting cold in them down into the lower teens. The Heater Body Suit is one of the best investments I've ever made and I've shot several animals with it on. I would'nt think of antelope hunting any more out of a windmill with out it on in the mornings. It keeps the wind off and keeps you toasty warm all day. You're going to be glad you bought it after just one hunt with it on.

Offline Buxndiverdux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
I wore my HBS on a late November deer hunt in Saskatchewan for 5 1/2 days. I sat from dark to dark. I never needed my coat for anything other than ATV rides to and from the stands when my HBS was packed up. The high for the week was minus 10. I was toasty. I was so warm, I had to zip it down to keep from getting sleepy. Everyone else was freezing.
Anneewakee Addiction Longbow
56" 57# @ 28"

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
I have one, it works great. In the 20's I wear smartwool thermals, a wool sweater with a insulated wool vest to keep the core extra warm and Im warm. Its either the body suit or I just stay home. Hard to stay awake while on stand. I have yet to shoot a late season critter while wearing it, but someday.

This year I invested in Steger Mukluks. Combining HBS and Steger Muks Its very comfortable.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
How quiet ate the suits?  It seems as if sound carries more than normal when it's really cold, and I'm wondering how silent they are when deer are close?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
Seems to me there was a post where Ryan i.e manitoba stickflinger- made his own to fit his needs for quiet and particular camo up on his turf.  May be good to link it here. . .  if i could find it I would!

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »
I've had a Heater Body suit for 4 years now and will most likely always use one for those real cold days.  To me the biggest advantage is that I can wear lighter clothing on the long walks in and get up the tree without getting sweated up.  
Whip, The suit's exterior is a brushed polyester and is quite quiet regardless of temps.  The suit by itself is silent, the only noise concern is unzipping it, but the zipper has large teeth and I've never had an issue getting it down and alerting deer.  Didn't fill my tag this year, but Nov. 11th I passed on two small bucks that were under 10 yards and I was able to move with them and take practice draws without alerting them.  For our late season hunts it really does fill a need.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 06:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Whip:
How quiet ate the suits?  It seems as if sound carries more than normal when it's really cold, and I'm wondering how silent they are when deer are close?
Very Quuiet Joe love mine slipped out of it with deer 20 yards away and shot a big doe a big Mature doe at 8 yards love them

Dress in what you are comfortable to walk to your stand in. Then climb in and hunt
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Buxndiverdux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Whip:
It takes a little practice but I can get out of mine pretty quiet. If I see a shooter coming, I zip out and get ready just like I would if I wasn't wearing it. I rarely wait till the last minute to prepare for a shot unless I get caught by surprise.
Anneewakee Addiction Longbow
56" 57# @ 28"

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
My suit is honestly the best item I've ever had for cold weather hunting. Due to the large number of poplar trees (white), the amount of snow we get, and that we largely hunt from stands, I needed a light patterned print with a fleece liner for quietness.

As far as getting into it, I wouldn't recommend climbing up the tree with it on. I climb up, strap in, then put it on.

Here's me 2 seasons ago post kill in a snow storm. I have yet to get cold wearing it.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
I will give the HBS the best compliment I can give a piece of hunting gear, if I lost it or "broke it" tomorrow, I would immediately get another one.

I have converted my friends now.  They wondered why they waited so long and froze so often.  This is coming from diehard Wisconsin bowhunters in their mid-forties.

Regarding limiting your hunting ability, I would say absolutely the opposite.  You can sit longer and warmer so you muscles are more limber and when you do shoot, you are not wearing some bulky jacket.

And Whip, it is very quiet.  

I do one added thing with mine.  I have short backback bungee straps that I wrap around each leg at about boot height.  It makes moving the feet easier in stand.

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
Tim, I hunt from dark to dark most of the time. I've owned a lot of good wool and still own a KOM Bowman jacket.But   when you sit there all day NO wool will keep me warm enough.I probably could layer enough but would never be able to pull the bow back.I see my friends dressing like it's 50 when it's 20.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
Ryan- where was the post or plan on how to make the one you did?  I remembered that from before. . .  

Thanks
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
Hey Dan! A thread titled "Tall Tines christened in Manitoba" has more details on how we made ours. (page 3 or 4) I'd attach it as a link if I knew how??? Ryan

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
Thanks Yohon!

I'm dead serious that every bowhunter that hunts in cold weather NEEDS one of these things. Once you try one you'll say...."WOW, he was right". Mark my words...Ryan

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
ttt

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
Whip, If you get the waterproofed one it's noisier, and they even tell you that on their website, or they used to. I've had mine for four seasons now and love it. Mine is not waterproof. I've used unscented bar soap on the zipper, very quiet and easy to un-zip. Great product. Never been cold in it, just make sure you get one big enough !!

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
Ryan,

In that pix on the link with you and your buck, you look like you built arms or sleeves in it. Is that how I am seeing it? The HB suit that I got to try had no arms, they stayed inside so I was just asking your opnion/experience.
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©